Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Kerry King used to play that shape. He should bring out that exact guitar just to troll everybody.
ZOMG N00BFACE IT'S NOT A SHAPE IT'S A MOCKINGBIRD!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

I actually love Mockingbirds with flame tops, and I'm kinda picky about shapes.
I'm guessing that purchase isn't coming anytime soon, Maiden. It is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, popped a string on one at Guitar Center once or twice The Piezo system is awesome too if you have a complicated enough rig to run it.
I'd still take the EVH Wolfgang over it, if you have an extra grand to play with.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm guessing that purchase isn't coming anytime soon, Maiden. It is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, popped a string on one at Guitar Center once or twice The Piezo system is awesome too if you have a complicated enough rig to run it.
I'd still take the EVH Wolfgang over it, if you have an extra grand to play with.
Yeah, no time soon. Christmas at the soonest, and that's if I'm employed then. I don't typically have $2,000-ish sitting around. If I did, my ProgPower USA trip wouldn't be in jeopardy, like it unfortunately is.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Homebrewing Metalhead

Quote:
Just curious how much did you pay?
3100. I payed 1750 up front. Then 2 years later when it was finished I payed the balance. That same guitar with neck thru (Jackson doesn't do set necks anymore) was almost a grand more. As you said no real difference aside from looks (and yes it does look cleaner) so screw that. That same guitar now would be well over 5 grand because mine was masterbuilt (by Mike Shannon) and they have an upcharge now for that I think. Like 2 grand or something stupid like that. And if a guitar has certain features like mine it is automatically only available as a masterbuilt. I don't even wanna know what a neck thru version of my guitar would cost nowadays.

I really wanted a CS Charvel but no way I can afford it these days. It will never happen.'

Quote:
I actually had a 2002 NAMM limited edition Red Flametop Mockingbird. Really nice string thru with gold hardware and abalone inlays. That was a neck thru. I got it for dirt cheap (like 500 bucks) and turned around and sold it for over a grand. Really nice player though, it was japanese made. Not normally a BC Rich fan but that was a sweet axe. That money from the sale of that axe helped me get the Engl head though so it was worth the sacrifice.

We miss you Ronnie...

Last edited by darkguardian50; 06-21-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:22 AM
welp

^That BC sounded really nice. I think they get way too much shit for their low end/mid range models. Their high end models are fantastic. Once I even played a Custom Shop Warlock (red, neck-through, EMGs, might've had an arched top, don't remember), the thing was beautiful and played like a dream.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

I think a lot about a company should be judged by their low end models though. The same goes for Jackson. The way they throw poorly made low end guitars that sell because of their shape alone says that the company is interested in making money more than quality instruments. Ibanez, ESP/LTD, PRS and even Dean put out guitars that are accessible and worth playing.

Last edited by TonyD; 06-22-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I think a lot about a company should be judged by their low end models though. The same goes for Jackson. The way they throw poorly made low end guitars that sell because of their shape alone says that the company is interested in making money more than quality instruments. Ibanez, ESP/LTD, PRS and even Dean put out guitars that are accessable and worth playing.
I agree a lot with this. This is one reason I love Epiphone les Pauls. I have owned this (pictured below) guitar for abut 6 years now, and it has played 50+ shows, and done some recording work. For the (I think) $390 I paid for it, I couldn't asked for a better guitar.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Homebrewing Metalhead

My Kelly is a low end Jackson and not one of the japanese ones from the 90s either. I believe it was made in India or Korea. Either way it kicks ass. Most people seem to like the low end jacksons. Not to mention they have a affordable USA line of guitars that destroy most of the expensive import guitars from other brands. Ibanez is the one I hear alot of bad stuff about. And one of my early guitars was a cheap Ibanez strat and boy did it suck. ESP, Schecter, and Dean all do a very nice job on their low end stuff though. I feel the reverse though, judge a company on their actual models not the outsourced stuff. ESP expensive models are wastes of money and not very well made. Schecter I've not played any of their USA made stuff but I hear they are nice. Dean custom stuff is awesome.

And yes BC Rich stuff is really bad for the most part, and even the USA stuff has really had alot of QC issues for awhile. Sad to see how far that once great company has fallen.

We miss you Ronnie...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

So I took a break from guitar playing around last November. I was basically getting bored with it, and feeling extremely uninspired. And well today I decided it was about time I got into it so I just up and restrung my classical guitar.

The bright side is that it's the most fun I've had on a guitar in over a year. The not so bright side is that I suck now! It's gonna take me probably at least 4 months to get back to being as good as I was before I stopped. ...Should be fun.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:50 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
So I took a break from guitar playing around last November. I was basically getting bored with it, and feeling extremely uninspired. And well today I decided it was about time I got into it so I just up and restrung my classical guitar.

The bright side is that it's the most fun I've had on a guitar in over a year. The not so bright side is that I suck now! It's gonna take me probably at least 4 months to get back to being as good as I was before I stopped. ...Should be fun.
I hate this, happened to me too, except I just don't really have time to pick it back up. Playing guitar is nothing like riding a bike.