Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014
Arch Enemy and Kreator -- Baltimore, MD -- October 23rd, 2014
Mastodon -- Kansas City, MO -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Milwaukee, WI -- October 20th, 2014
Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinPeace1113 View Post
Dude, I paid 85 dollars to see them in Fairfax, Va last summer, and all I got to see was the same shit I saw 3 times on the 10,000 Days tour
Well you should have done your homework, then. How is this our problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinPeace1113 View Post
I'm so fucking jealous that this tour isn't coming close to me.
Is it just me, or does this not make any sense?

You puzzle me, son.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 06-22-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Headbanger

I know I'm in the minority but I love Opiate. 2 of my 5 favorite tool songs are on that album. I'll never forget the day I drove to the last "true" record store in MD and I couldn't leave without buying something. I had to justify my 50 min drive so I grabbed Prong - Force Fed and Tool - Opiate for $5.99 and $3.99 respectively. Not sure I've ever spent a better $10 clams in my life.

I only bought Opiate because of the song titles. Opiate, Jerk-off and I actually thought Hush might be a Deep Purple cover and if I didn't like it I could sell it back next week for $2.

I remember Sweat being ok for the 1st half then where the guitar solo normally is there was this incredible drum lick that I immediately loved.

Hush cam on and it was the story of my life. I have no filter. Whatever I think comes out of my trap so those lyrics really had special meaning to me.

Wasn't fond of Part of Me really but when Cold and Ugly kicked in with "Throw that Bob Marley wanna-be Mother Fucker outta here" YEEAHHHHHHHHHHH! I knew I was gonna like the song. The time changes and intricate drumming had me hooked instantly. I knew then that Danny Carey was one of the best drummers I would ever hear.

Then came the 2 best back-to-back songs in the history of music to me. The anger, passion and emotion of Jerk-off is like nothing I had or still have ever heard. It is my favorite song of all time and probably will be until the day I die. Anger is a gift and that is the most angry song ever penned.

When Jerk-Off ends with "SHOOT YOU IN YOUR FUCKING HEAD!" going right into those beautiful chords of Opiate and the incredibly relatable lyrics that come next, it's mind-blowing to me. The emotional rollercoaster of those 2 songs is pure genius. I knew I was a huge Tool fan instantly and was surprised to find that was their 1st album. It struck me as more of a polished EP. A few weeks later Undertow came out and Tool blew up. I'm so glad I got to see them on that Tour and got to hear virtually all of Opiate live at that show.

For that reason alone I'd have to rate the Tool albums:

1) Aenima
2) Lateralus
3) Opiate
4) Undertow
5) 10K Years

As much as I love Vicarious and Right in Two I haven't had 10K Years engulf me like the others have. The Pot, Jambi & Rosetta Stoned are all solid but after hearing them live several times I like them but they don't possess me like some other Tool songs do.

46&2, Eulogy, Stinkfist, Hooker, Aenima & 3rd Eye all on the same cd with other solid songs H, Jimmy and Pushit. Masterpiece! Most bands go their entire career and don't write that many incredible songs and they're all on the same cd.

All Hail Tool!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Swag 100,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I'm so glad I got to see them on that Tour and got to hear virtually all of Opiate live at that show.
1st, I hate you, that's awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
5) 10K Years
2nd, 10K Days

3rd... Rosetta Stoned is probably one of the best songs they've ever written, and that's why 10K Days is special to me. Anyone who saw them on their 2007-2009 tour cycle can vouch for me that it was one of the better performances of the show....I would hope...
Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnAwesome View Post
1st, I hate you, that's awesome

2nd, 10K Days

3rd... Rosetta Stoned is probably one of the best songs they've ever written, and that's why 10K Days is special to me. Anyone who saw them on their 2007-2009 tour cycle can vouch for me that it was one of the better performances of the show....I would hope...
That is funny. My bad.

Yeah I saw tool 3 times on the last round of Touring and I wish I heard a great version of Rosetta Stoned but I didn't. Maybe my expectations were too high.

The 1st time the vocals were so low I thought they were doing an extended version until I heard him say E motherfucking T. 2nd time it was similar. 3rd time the vocals were louder but it still wasn't a highlight until the last 3 minutes for me.

I think for that song to really work live they have to really mix the vocals high. The drums sounded incredible but the guitar was drowning out the vocals. Not that I ever saw them at a great venue though.

Tags
tool