Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Do you want a prize?
No, do you? Is this really just a thread to boast about your collection?

Quote:
you're a critic, not a fan.
Wrong.

Quote:
I remember another post of this nature from you before - it didn't need to be in this thread, clearly designed for people who care about this sort of stuff.
Valid contribution to a discussion topic is always relevant. I'm sure someone said this somewhere else before, but negatively-leaning posts have every right to belong in a topic as positive ones. The problem posts are discussions about specific bands and some asshole just says "They suck, you're all fags" or whatever. That's irrelevant.

Unless of course this is just a cock-measuring thread? In which case no, I agree, genuine discussion has no place here.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 AM
In Search of Truth

Alright, here's my drumsticks. From top to bottom:
Chris Kinder (Jon Oliva's Pain), Jason Rullo (Symphony X), Bobby Jarzombek (Halford, Riot - was playing with Sebastian Bach at the time), Jeff Plate (Savatage/TSO - from Metal Church show), Jeff Plate (Savatage/TSO - from TSO show), Felix Bohnke (Edguy), Mark Cross (Firewind), Troy lucketta (Tesla), Patrik Johansson (Yngwie Malmsteen)

Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Huh... more bands get their sticks branded with their name/band logo than I thought...

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
No, do you? Is this really just a thread to boast about your collection?

Wrong.

Valid contribution to a discussion topic is always relevant. I'm sure someone said this somewhere else before, but negatively-leaning posts have every right to belong in a topic as positive ones. The problem posts are discussions about specific bands and some asshole just says "They suck, you're all fags" or whatever. That's irrelevant.

Unless of course this is just a cock-measuring thread? In which case no, I agree, genuine discussion has no place here.
Jeez, my post was pretty much meant as a jest. Especially the critic/not a fan bit - hence the winky smiley.

But my point was that basically this was a thread for those who enjoy looking at this sort of stuff and discussing the acquirement of it - not someone who is basically going to look down on people who care about it.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Jeez, my post was pretty much meant as a jest. Especially the critic/not a fan bit - hence the winky smiley.
Yeah, that's why I didn't argue it, just one-word response. Probably should have added a smiley myself. My bad.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
those who enjoy looking at this sort of stuff
Erm, none of you are going to... touch yourselves... are you?!

Quote:
not someone who is basically going to look down on people who care about it.
I can't look down on anyone. Except maybe Chyck, Juukun and G&B...

Oh, and the really tiny blonde in the RATM crowd on Sunday. What a God-send she was. Stood right behind her the whole time - clear view!

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 06-08-2010, 07:11 AM
We're dying on the inside

I don't *try* to get anything, but when I do get picks, I put them in this little picture frame I bought with a white fabric background that I put in. I have picks from DragonForce (touring bassist, woohoo), Porcupine Tree (Steven Wilson), Sepultura (Andreas Kisser), Queensryche (Michael Wilton), and Megadeth (Glen Drover).

The only ones that were definitely intentional were from Kisser - he actually reached out, grabbed my hand, opened it, put the pick inside, and closed it again, I guess he liked that I was singing all the old shit at the top of my lungs - and from Wilton, who pointed at me and threw it right to me. Again, must have been impressed that I knew every word of Mindcrime.

And I've met and had conversations with countless musicians but I'm pretty uncomfortable asking for pictures, as they are just dudes like me, and I'd rather have a conversation than take a picture. Only exception is Mikael ┼kerfeldt, and even then I basically took the piss, because a picture with a couple of metal dudes giving the horns is just fucking desperate and cliche and I stopped doing that when I was 15. Anyway, ┼kwardfelt picture below.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 06-08-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
a picture with a couple of metal dudes giving the horns is just fucking desperate and cliche and I stopped doing that when I was 15
I agree, but that's nothing compared to when someone throws a pick or a drumstick and no one catches it. Have you seen people go nuts for that shit trying to find it?

It's hilarious when two of them spot it on the floor at once and clash heads

The only thing worse is when two people catch something at the same time and fight over it. Funniest instance of that I saw was when Zakk Wylde threw his guitar into the crowd at the Astoria in London. The dumbfucks actually thought if they won the fight to grab it they'd get to keep it!

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
The only thing worse is when two people catch something at the same time and fight over it. Funniest instance of that I saw was when Zakk Wylde threw his guitar into the crowd at the Astoria in London. The dumbfucks actually thought if they won the fight to grab it they'd get to keep it!
Wow.

At Clutch on Sunday, I told my 14-year-old brother, who has never been to a concert before, to wait around on the rail when the roadies were tearing up the setlists to see if he could get one. Guy goes to hand it to him and a GODDAMN GROWN MAN JUMPS ON HIS BACK AND TRIES TO WRESTLE IT AWAY. My brother held onto it though. Kid's gonna be a badass.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I have never actually caught or been handed anything at a show before. I have come close on numerous occasions but then something stupid always happens and I blow it. That is actually one of my goals for this summer is catch something at a show.

I have met plenty of band members and gotten shit signed. The only time I have ever been nervous was when I met Mastodon. I was pretty much shitting my pants and that was the only time I have ever met a band and I just felt like a kiss-ass fanboy. I have long since gotten over that and now I never act strange around bands. They are just regular people that are often very friendly and apprecitative of the support.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/