Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 AM

i actually haven't looked at the prices for CDs for awhile, but last time i remember checking most CDs were about 17.99 at most stores. and "on sale" CDs would be about 12.99. maybe it sounds selfish to some people but i'd much rather download a CD because i cannot afford CDs.

i could barely even afford going to shows nowadays, i've only been to 2 this year actually. ticketmaster charges $25-$30 + 10 (convenience charges) for most shows in the hollywood area, and i honestly think that is asking for waay too fucking much to see a band like finntroll, epica, sonata arctica, arch enemy, iced earth, kamelot, sodom, naglfar, etc. all bands just mentioned shows were at the price range i said. a big reason why my going to concerts rate have heavily declined within the past year. i also think that's why some metal shows aren't as packed as you used to see them nowadays.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X

Last edited by xStructualDefect; 05-25-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:57 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Well, I buy less CDs than I used to now. Mainly because I mostly decided that with very few exceptions (i.e. a new album I'm real excited for and want asap, or an older album I really want that never ever seems to change in price,) I'm just not going to pay more than around $11 for a CD ever. I've gotten a lot of good stuff since then, so I'm pretty happy at all the money I've been saving.

Not that I really need to save money on CDs anymore, considering how much money I'm continually stowing away thanks to my job/lifestyle.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
i actually haven't looked at the prices for CDs for awhile, but last time i remember checking most CDs were about 17.99 at most stores. and "on sale" CDs would be about 12.99. maybe it sounds selfish to some people but i'd much rather download a CD because i cannot afford CDs.

i could barely even afford going to shows nowadays, i've only been to 2 this year actually. ticketmaster charges $25-$30 + 10 (convenience charges) for most shows in the hollywood area, and i honestly think that is asking for waay too fucking much to see a band like finntroll, epica, sonata arctica, arch enemy, iced earth, kamelot, sodom, naglfar, etc. all bands just mentioned shows were at the price range i said. a big reason why my going to concerts rate have heavily declined within the past year. i also think that's why some metal shows aren't as packed as you used to see them nowadays.

I agree I download a lot more than I buy. Thankfully Newbury Comics has most cd's for 9.99 the 1st month they are out so that is when I tend to purchase them.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Ironbound

I am one of the most unorganized people on the planet, so I don't have exact numbers. I would say somewhere around 3,000 CDs maybe. Oh and zero downloads.

If nothing else, this forum has really encouraged me to be more aware of my musical surroundings, now only if I could get organzed!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post

That's eerily similar to Eternal Nightmare.
Don't feel bad...I thought the same thing for a long time. I was giving him a whole bunch of cred he didn't deserve during that time...
Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Well, I buy less CDs than I used to now. Mainly because I mostly decided that with very few exceptions (i.e. a new album I'm real excited for and want asap, or an older album I really want that never ever seems to change in price,) I'm just not going to pay more than around $11 for a CD ever. I've gotten a lot of good stuff since then, so I'm pretty happy at all the money I've been saving.
This is pretty much how I feel. Frankly a lot of my CD buying went down the drain when a local record shop closed a few years ago. I used to be a 10-minute drive from a place that stocked lots of great metal both new and old, and charged about $12 for a new CD. Now that that's gone, I don't have nearly the opportunity to buy as much as I used to, especially in physical stores, and especially at the prices I used to.

I preorded the new Avantasia albums and paid close to $20 for the pair, and I'll be buying the new Maiden and Blind Guardian albums in-store on the exact day of their release, but for the most part - I just download everything now whenever it becomes available - that way it satisfies my need to hear and enjoy it, and then buys me time to track it down at the price I actually want to pay for it.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I just download everything now whenever it becomes available - that way it satisfies my need to hear and enjoy it, and then buys me time to track it down at the price I actually want to pay for it.
That's what I do as well now. Downloading I actually consider a good screening process for albums. Instead of blowing a few hundered dollars on shit you may not like, you get to hear the stuff before deciding weather or not to spend the money on the CDs. It's actually saved me a TON of money over the last couple years now and it's also got me to become of fan of several artists I otherwise would've gone on knowing nothing about. The other main reason I do this now is because I barely listen to any actuall CDs anymore. When I get a CD I save it to my computer and then put it on my iPOD. Those are the two main ways I listen to everything now. My CD collection is pretty much just sitting around collecting dust now.

There's also cases where I know i'm gonna buy an album and i'll still download it. The new Nevermore is a perfect example of that. I pre-ordered the CD off their MySpace page but the album has been available on the torrent sites for a few weeks now so I still downloaded it. Even if you're gonna buy the album if it's available for you to listen to it that far in advance why wouldn't someone do it if they're a fan of the band?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Downloading I actually consider a good screening process for albums. Instead of blowing a few hundered dollars on shit you may not like, you get to hear the stuff before deciding weather or not to spend the money on the CDs. It's actually saved me a TON of money over the last couple years now and it's also got me to become of fan of several artists I otherwise would've gone on knowing nothing about
Bingo. 100% Agreed.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I'm not sure of the exact count, and I'm not able to do it right now anyway, but here are my best estimates:

500+ CD's (at least) - about 75% of which is metal of some type
~50 to 75 audio cassettes (I'll explain what those are to some of you kids if you don't know )
At least fifty DVD's, most of which are metal

I also have a ton of mp3's. I'm not going to say how much, because the quantity is really irrelevant. I just wanted to weigh in on the download issue. Whle I certainly appreciate and agree with Ravenheart's comment about feeling good to "support music and not kill it", I am also a downloader, and I'll tell you why: I get exposed to so much stuff that way, that it inevitably ends up meaning I spend money on bands that I would have otherwise passed over. Plain and simple.

If I think I might like it, I download it. If I like it, I buy it. Almost every CD I have purchased in the last few years was downloaded first, but I have spent literally thousands of dollars on CD's, concert tickets and merch, so I have not one shred of guilt about it. I even make it a point to wait until seeing a band live to buy their CD if I can, because more of the money goes directly to them that way (plus, I usually save money in the process as well ).

Note I am not advocating unfettered filesharing by hooligans, which I am very against. All I can do is keep my side of the street clean, and that's what I do. So many bands have my love and respect - and yes, hard-earned dollars - because of the way I do things, that I just know in my heart that I'm doing the right thing. What others do is up to them, but I firmly support the bands I love by buying their music and merch, and spreading the word about their music in forums such as this.

...and back to Ravenheart's point, that feels good to me.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Personally I never download albums. I don't need to because I don't need to hear an album all the way through to know if I want to buy it or not. Samples/clips/songs on MySpace etc. are enough.

What helps is I also don't have the need to hear things as soon as they come out. I listen to samples, decide if I want it, then it sits on my wishlist, sometimes for years, until it's cheap, then I buy it. Until then, I simply don't hear that album. Makes buying it all the more worthwhile, and I've got more than enough to listen to in the mean time.

13/10 The Skull
29/10 Saint Vitus
6/11 Gilby Clarke