Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 AM
N00B

One thing really pissed me off, they were shooting a video and the backdrop was only half-way up! You couldn't even read the title of the new album let alone the artwork!! Which is a real shame as the cover of the new album is wicked!

Everytime i go to the Islington Academy, bands can't put their backdrops all the way up because of the way rigs are set in there. It just looks very dodgy and unprofessional.

How much does it cost to do that properly?? It's not like the big O2 company is short of money

Last edited by MetalDoug; 05-19-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Most bands simply don't own/bring a backdrop small enough to fit. The stage is very small, after all.

The same thing used to happen at the Mean Fiddler. I remember Therion's 20th anniversary backdrop, which was clearly intended for festivals and the bigger stages they would play in South America and some European countries on that tour, didn't fit and had to be gathered in at the sides.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM
N00B

The Nevermore backdrop was small enough for Islington. The problem is not the size of the backdrop, it's the position of the rigs in the venue. The rigs at the Mean Fiddler (Astoria 2) were not high enough, the ones at the Islington Academy are high enough but what they use to hold backdrops is not at the very back. So the bands have the option of putting the backdrop all the way up but having less space on stage OR hanging the backdrop from the middle (like Nevermore did) and having more space. Last time Overkill played in Islington a couple of months ago the backdrop was all the way up and it looked fucking wicked!

I think the Islington Academy should invest some money in solving this problem as it looks very unprofessional to hang a backdrop from the middle. Backdrops are important in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDoug View Post
Last time Overkill played in Islington a couple of months ago the backdrop was all the way up and it looked fucking wicked!
Didn't even notice. Front-row baby. Far more important things to look at, like the bands...

Quote:
I think the Islington Academy should invest some money in solving this problem as it looks very unprofessional to hang a backdrop from the middle.
That's generous... I think it should just close. It's a shit venue, and always has been. At least the sound doesn't completely suck anymore.

Quote:
Backdrops are important in my opinion.
For what? I rarely even notice if a band has one. They're about as important as which brand of shampoo the singer uses.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
That's generous... I think it should just close. It's a shit venue, and always has been.

For what? I rarely even notice if a band has one. They're about as important as which brand of shampoo the singer uses.
Exactly. It might be important if you're not familiar with the band or you wanna know what the cover of their new album is or in what kind of font they design their name in. But other than that i've found that they serve very little purpose especially in a club venue. When Iron Maiden does that, it's OK though cause it's Iron Maiden
Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 AM

Oh yeah, if you're playing some cavernous stage like a festival main stage or a big arena/stadium, then yeah, fill the stage with something so it doesn't look like you're just playing on top of a big scaffolding rig (which, you are). But in a club; worthless.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Tags
death angel, nevermore