Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Godflesh -- San Francisco, CA -- April 20th, 2014
Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014

Old 05-16-2010, 03:05 PM
The time has come for all to see the men behind the curtain cast into disease

I saw Heaven and Hell at the PNC Bank Arts Center in New Jersey in 2007. Megadeth and Machine Head opened up. Amazing show.

My memory was towards the end of their set. If I remember correctly, Ronnie took these big, goofy-looking sunglasses from someone in the front row and wore them during one of the songs. It really showed how much of a down to earth, fun loving guy he truly was.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
My memory was towards the end of their set. If I remember correctly, Ronnie took these big, goofy-looking sunglasses from someone in the front row and wore them during one of the songs. It really showed how much of a down to earth, fun loving guy he truly was.
He always seemed to come off that way especially when it came to his fans. I know most artists love their fans but I don't think anyone loved his fans more than Dio did. From the stories i've heard he always seemed to go out of his way to put a smile on their faces
Old 05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Seeing him with Sabbath on the Black & Blue tour with Blue Oyster Cult

Seeing him on the Mob Rules Tour

Seeing him open for Maiden

The countless times his songs from Rainbow, Sabbath and solo have been in my ears! All good memories

Last edited by Fe Maiden; 05-16-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Ironbound

The first time I saw Dio was in 1998 at the Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. It was about 2 hours away from where we lived, and knew there was no real way I could feasibly get there. I remember asking my dad every day if we could go, as far fetched as it seemed, I kept bugging him and he kept saying no. Then the day of the concert, I had almost given up all hope, my dad came home from work and casually says to me - Wanna go see Dio tonight? So off we went! This was also my first time going to the Birch Hill, which became my favorite club for many years after that night. I was front row and center for the Dio concert. I could not believe how close I was to such a legend. I had my Holy Diver CD cover with me, and during the show I held it out like a dork with a sharpie and asked Dio to sign it for me, while he was performing. He laughed and made a gesture that he was kinda busy at the moment. So here I thought I just pissed him off, then in between songs, he ran over to me and asked if he could sign my CD. I was shocked, and honored. What a great guy.

During the Magica tour, same club, Birch Hill, Dio had just given an amazing performance of the entire Magica album, plus more. Turns out Dio was sick that night. I was waiting for him outside the bus, but he didn't hang out, because he was ill. But he did sign items for everyone from inside the bus. What a class act, even when he is sick, he is still there for his fans.

Fast forward to the Master of the Moon tour, this time I saw Dio at the Trocadero in Philadelphia. I waited to meet him again. We talked for a while in the alley outside the Troc, and I have great photo of me and him together, that I will treasure always.

Those are just a few stories that come to mind, and stand out, I'm sure there are many more, as I think of more, I'll post them. So many great Dio memories through the years, as happy as they make me, I am equally as saddened that there will be no more Dio memories to make.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

He played a show in London when he was sick as a dog too. Two-hour show and no one knew the difference. It was only afterwards that people heard he'd been sick all day and had cancelled all of his interviews so that he could do the show. I saw one of the PR guys after the show and he said Ronnie had spent most of the afternoon with his head over a bowl of boiling water.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 05-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green and Black View Post
The first time I saw Dio was in 1998 at the Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. It was about 2 hours away from where we lived, and knew there was no real way I could feasibly get there. I remember asking my dad every day if we could go, as far fetched as it seemed, I kept bugging him and he kept saying no. Then the day of the concert, I had almost given up all hope, my dad came home from work and casually says to me - Wanna go see Dio tonight? So off we went! This was also my first time going to the Birch Hill, which became my favorite club for many years after that night. I was front row and center for the Dio concert. I could not believe how close I was to such a legend. I had my Holy Diver CD cover with me, and during the show I held it out like a dork with a sharpie and asked Dio to sign it for me, while he was performing. He laughed and made a gesture that he was kinda busy at the moment. So here I thought I just pissed him off, then in between songs, he ran over to me and asked if he could sign my CD. I was shocked, and honored. What a great guy.

During the Magica tour, same club, Birch Hill, Dio had just given an amazing performance of the entire Magica album, plus more. Turns out Dio was sick that night. I was waiting for him outside the bus, but he didn't hang out, because he was ill. But he did sign items for everyone from inside the bus. What a class act, even when he is sick, he is still there for his fans.

Fast forward to the Master of the Moon tour, this time I saw Dio at the Trocadero in Philadelphia. I waited to meet him again. We talked for a while in the alley outside the Troc, and I have great photo of me and him together, that I will treasure always.

Those are just a few stories that come to mind, and stand out, I'm sure there are many more, as I think of more, I'll post them. So many great Dio memories through the years, as happy as they make me, I am equally as saddened that there will be no more Dio memories to make.
Awesome stories!! The easy access he gave for his fans to meet him and for him to spend time and chat always made him so special. Very few in the music world are like that. Hey, your stories just put smile on my face for the first time in like 6 hours
Old 05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APRi4...eature=related
Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned Asshole

I wish I could have lived long enough to see him play, because although I've never seen him live, he is an icon and a legend to me and to all metal and i love his music. the only clear memory i have is the first time i ever heard Rainbow in the Dark.. that was the song that got me into his music!

RIP DIO!! You are missed!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:47 PM
The Cheese

I bought a Black Sabbath greatest hits album back when I was in high school. I'd never heard of Dio, but I wanted to check out Black Sabbath because I was getting into Ozzy's solo music at the time. But this collection had some Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, and even Born Again tracks on it. The first time I even heard Dio was when "Heaven & Hell" came on. I was just floored. I was like, "Who the fuck is this singing!?" Since I was just expecting Ozzy... I've been a fan of Dio ever since.

I'm really glad I had the chance to meet him in 2004. My buddy and I only got to talk to him briefly but he was very friendly and chatty and signed a whole bunch of shit. It was just a great time.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Regretting my username

I loved Hear N Aid and Dio's part in Butterfly Ball. As well as his charity to end child prostitution.

Also, his part in Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny.