Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
It didn't spell doom for Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rush, AC/DC, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, U2, The Rolling Stones, Nickelback, Alice In Chains, Ozzy, and many other bands. Why would it spell doom for others?
You don't think those bands had more bullshit to deal with once they hit it big? You don't think some amount of authenticity is preserved when a band doesn't try to be bigger than they really are?

And REALLY, Metallica, Pink Floyd, and Ozzy weren't ruined by rock stardom? REALLY?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
You don't think those bands had more bullshit to deal with once they hit it big? You don't think some amount of authenticity is preserved when a band doesn't try to be bigger than they really are?

And REALLY, Metallica, Pink Floyd, and Ozzy weren't ruined by rock stardom? REALLY?
Nope, I don't think they were ruined in the least!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Bobb O)))

Quote:
It didn't spell doom for Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rush, AC/DC, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, U2, The Rolling Stones, Nickelback, Alice In Chains, Ozzy, and many other bands. Why would it spell doom for others?
10/4-Melvins
Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt11763 View Post
Awesome movie, never seen that used in Internet context.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Bobb O)))

well if it's not booze that you hit before you come here, i want whatever drugs you're taking that can make me see things the way you do
10/4-Melvins
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Bobb O)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Awesome movie, never seen that used in Internet context.
10/4-Melvins
Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Visualize perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt11763 View Post
The pictures you post to express your reactions are amazing.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Ironbound

As I Lay Dying as no business being compared to Iron Maiden, this topic is retarded.

Now that I got that out of the way -

1) I can understand the desire to see one of your favorite bands on the big stage, especially if it's a band you think never quite received the credit they deserve, but nothing compares to the overall experience of a club.

2) I have seen Iron Maiden at the Hammerstein Ballroom for Bruce's glorious return, as well as in an Amphitheater for the Brave New World tour (and several tours since then as well), full production, and I have to say, Maiden on the big stage was a way better experience. Sure, I'd love to see them in a club for novelty, but nothing can top Maiden on the big stage, full production. But As I Lay Dying is NOT Maiden, and just because someone wants to see As I Lay Daying run around and jump high does not mean they should be on a big stage, playing huge venues.

3) I rarely go to arena shows anymore. I am WAY more likely to go see a band in a club or smaller venue. It's more intimate and just better overall. The only way I would really consider going to bigger shows anymore would be with a front row seat (or atleast first 5 rows) or if the front area is General Admission. Although even in those cases, the ticket prices alone for bigger shows is often enough to keep me away.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
For starters, I DO NOT drink.

I don't mind that they're playing clubs, but what I don't like is the fact that they're playing in the "dumpier", smaller clubs because the stages are so small and the ceiling is lower. The nicer, larger clubs have larger stages and raised ceilings. I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE you they could EASILY sell out clubs that hold 3,000-4,000 and those are the types of clubs they should be playing in. The club they'll be playing here tomorrow, The Cabooze, holds around 1,000 and it completely sold out last time. That should tell their manager that they should be playing in a larger club, but because of greed, the manager doesn't want to take that risk.

Another sad and pathetic thing about some of the clubs is that the band's equipment has to be loaded in and out of the club ON THE FUCKING STREET, out in front of the general public. Why the fuck can't these clubs have a private, separate loading area? First Ave., a well known club with all this history and bullshit is one of them. I just don't get it.

These bands deserve much better and if I ever win the huge, multi-million dollar lottery, I'll make sure they get it! Until then, which will be never of course!, I'll just have to see these bands wherever they play and just deal with it like everyone else.
What I think you need to do is not take it so personally that a band is being booked in a smaller venue. At least that's the way you're sounding on your posts. The other thing you must remember is that not every area has a concert club that has a 3-4 thousand capacity. Most cities don't have venues the size of The Hammerstein Ballroom to book shows in.

My city is a perfect example of that. In downtown Buffalo, NY there's a place called The Town Ballroom. Not only do they book most of the metal acts that come here but they book most musical acts who can't sell out the arena or amphitheater here. The capacity of the place might be 1500 at the most and that's counting band members and venue employees. Of all the small venues in the city this is the one with the biggest capacity. I saw Megadeth play here in March on the RIP 20 tour. They sold the place out and while it seems like a small place for them to play, it was the best they could do around here. So it's probably not that AILD couldn't draw more people. It has more to do with them being booked at the best possible location wherever they're playing.

Bands having to load and unload their equipment on the street in full veiw of everyone is nothing new when it comes to club shows. It's been happening since forever now and it will continue to happen. You can't expect all these small venues to have the money to remodel their place and give them a fuckin loading dock do you? Do you have any idea how much something like that would cost? It's money that most of these venues can't spare if they wanna stay opened. I've never seen it as an issue so I don't see how a band gets their stuff into and out of a venue is such a concern of yours. It just comes with the territory and all the bands as far as I know just accept it and don't think much of it.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 05-12-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
A Pathetic. Excuse. For a Human Being.

Hopefully they will decide to bring that big stage show into a small club, they'll pull a great white and start a fire and then jesus will come down (wearing an Entombed shirt), and judge them. Among the flames jesus will play The Nocturnal Silence and all those who ask for it to be turned up and praise it will be saved. Those who say turn this shit off and put AILD back on will burn in metal hell with the band.

That would be sweet.