22 1 2.13%
23 2 4.26%
24-30 9 19.15%
31-35 2 4.26%
36-40 5 10.64%
41 or Older 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundrage View Post
I never thought age played a part in what kind of music you like.
It totally does. Young people are far more likely to like what's trendy at the time, older people are far more likely not to change their views and keep researching and getting into new bands. Not entirely through attitude, but perhaps through not having the time with families and so forth.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
hey grampa!
Not yet!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
It totally does. Young people are far more likely to like what's trendy at the time, older people are far more likely not to change their views and keep researching and getting into new bands. Not entirely through attitude, but perhaps through not having the time with families and so forth.
Thought about it some and younger people also have a problem not admitting to guilty pleasures because it's 'not cool'.

Also, with that, comes times of your life where something happened and band _____ was what you were listening to, and that memory is forever in your head when you hear them, even if musically they aren't what you normally listen to now. Or genre _____ comes out and you got that time of your life so you forever like those bands, but the younger (and also older) person doesn't understand the whole thing because they didn't experience it while it was happening. If that makes any sense...

And like it or not, these are the foundations to what kind of music you like today. If a kid grows up with only Slayer, he's never going to understand clean vocals, or it's going to take a lot of work anyway. Works the other way around too. If a kid grows up with something like Korn, it's going to take awhile for them to understand any band that is musically based with fast guitars and double bass kicks.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
I'm just about 17, and I never really thought about it, but I've never really gone too much with trends, except for a period of about a year where I (barely) listened to Slipknot, Disturbed, Trivium, ya know, that kinda stuff. But for about two years now it's been all about extreme metal.

And I'm happy about that.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
I'm just about 17, and I never really thought about it, but I've never really gone too much with trends, except for a period of about a year where I (barely) listened to Slipknot, Disturbed, Trivium, ya know, that kinda stuff. But for about two years now it's been all about extreme metal.

And I'm happy about that.
Kinda off topic but why does Trivium get put into the group with SlipKnot & Disturbed? Like them, or hate them, Trivium can fucking play their asses off. They run circles around Slipknot, and especially Disturbed.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Kinda off topic but why does Trivium get put into the group with SlipKnot & Disturbed? Like them, or hate them, Trivium can fucking play their asses off. They run circles around Slipknot, and especially Disturbed.
Because they're pretty much universally hated by metal fans and loved by all the kids who like bands like Slipknot and Disturbed. Whether it's fair on them or not, they're part of that group. It's always had little to do with musical style.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Because they're... not good.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Because they're pretty much universally hated by metal fans and loved by all the kids who like bands like Slipknot and Disturbed. Whether it's fair on them or not, they're part of that group. It's always had little to do with musical style.
I've always been a fan, and they fucking tear it down live. Tho I've noticed, a lot of their fans are really annoying douche bags, maybe that has something to do with the hate...
Old 05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
I'm noticing that I disagree musically with people younger than me, and 10+ years older than me. I wonder if there is something to that? I never thought age played a part in what kind of music you like.
Age does play a huge part in it. For example if you grew up with The Big Four and other bands from that era you're more than likely gonna favor bands from that time. On the other hand if bands like Mastodon, DevilDriver and Lamb Of God got you to notice metal you're gonna side with bands from the modern metal era.

I'm 31 now and i'm starting to get to the point where I don't really care as much about seaching for bands everywhere now. Even with the internet making the searching a lot easier than it was when I first started listening to metal. You just get to a point where it's not as important to hear every band out there. Hell, half the bands mentioned on here I say "who?" to myself after I read the name. I'm actually at a point myself where I listen to enough bands, both new and old, that i'm set for life with music. Over the last year or so I don't really bother with as much new stuff unless it really impresses me. Another reason I don't go searching for bands as much is because you begin to learn that there is far more shitty music out there than there is good music, so it's not worth the time and effort as much over time.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
In Search of Truth

If age plays a part in what kinda of music you like, I guess you could call me an exception to that rule. Frankly 80% of my "music" friends are 30-ish or older.