Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Ironbound

Avantasia or Skid Row? hmmph!

This was really bugging me today, so check this out.

Skid Row - Monkey Business 1991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O-NAUM7UZ0

Alone I Remember - Avantasia 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vokkUOIdYW8

This is one for Metal that sounds like other Metal, for sure!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM
In Search of Truth

It sounds similar no doubt, but it didn't raise a huge eyebrow for me. It's a pretty simple groovy blues-based riff, they can be a dime-a-dozen, as opposed to it being a very specific kind of riff that doesn't come around much. Either way, I don't freak out to much over this sort of stuff. There's only so many things you can write - everyone copies everybody, intentionally or not.

Might want to tell JRA about this though, he's the "durp, I've heard that riff before!" police round this parts.

And the funny thing is that as much as the verse riff sounds like Skid Row - the chorus sounds like a complete ABBA chorus, hahaha.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
It sounds similar no doubt, but it didn't raise a huge eyebrow for me. It's a pretty simple groovy blues-based riff, they can be a dime-a-dozen, as opposed to it being a very specific kind of riff that doesn't come around much. Either way, I don't freak out to much over this sort of stuff. There's only so many things you can write - everyone copies everybody, intentionally or not.

Might want to tell JRA about this though, he's the "durp, I've heard that riff before!" police round this parts.

And the funny thing is that as much as the verse riff sounds like Skid Row - the chorus sounds like a complete ABBA chorus, hahaha.
Nah, I don't get worked up over this kind of stuff, and yeah I know riffs are bound to repeat by now. I think it's funny more than anything else really. It was bugging me all day when I was listening to Avantasia, because not only does the slow opening part sound the same, but then it picks up and sounds almost identical, and I can't help but hear Monkey Business when I listen to Alone I Remember and now at the chorus, I'm hearing Abba! Is that Dancing Queen? hahahahahaha Thanks for that!