Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Ironbound

Slash - My Track by Track Review

After some slight hesitation, I picked this up over the weekend. My love of Slash as a musician, coupled with some encouragement from this board, rave reviews, and waking up to Slash performing on the George Lopez Show and actually being impressed, all led me to finally pick up his new album. Here are my thoughts, track by track Ė

1) Ghost (with Ian Astbury) Quite possibly my favorite song on this album, great opener. I suppose I could be a bit biased, since Iím a huge fan of The Cult.

2) Crucify the Dead (with Ozzy Osbourne) Not being much of an Ozzy fan these days, I have grown bored of him years ago, this is a decent track. I actually really like it. Itís better than anything Ozzy has done in a long long time. Itís surprisingly catchy.

3) Beautiful Dangerous (with Fergie) So I cringed as I typed her name, so we are already off to a bad start. This isnít the worst song I have heard, it has itís moments, but itís Fergie, and I find it hard to accept that alone. Iím not that into female vocalists to begin with, although there are a few that I really like. If Slash really needed/wanted a pop diva on his album, I would have preferred he chose maybe Pink, although anyone but Fergie would have been better. Did I mention how much I hate Fergie yet? I hate Fergie. All that being said, I donít find myself skipping over this track everytime I listen (although sometimes I do skip it) but I rarely get to the end of it, before I get bored and do skip halfway through it nearly every time. Fergie tries, but still fails. She could give me gold and I still wouldnít like it, because itís well, itís Fergie.

4) Back From Cali (with Myles Kennedy) Now Iím not a fan of Alter Bridge at all, never really listened to them, because they were basically a spin off of Creed, who I also donít care for. And I donít get into Christian Rock at all. I donít care what your beliefs are, but I donít want to hear about it, if I can help it. All that being said, I really like this song. And Iíll go as far to say that I enjoy Myles Kennedyís voice and am happy he was chosen to do the Slash tour. Good song! Reminds me of the first Snakepit album, which I love, so thatís a beautiful thing.

5) Promise (with Chris Cornell) Now I had high expectations for this one, but it sorta bored me. I have always been a fan of Soundgardenís older/heavier stuff. And I love Cornellís voice no matter what he does, but this one just isnít doing it for me at all. I wouldnít know this was even Cornell if I didnít read it on the CD. Itís not bad, but I expected more. His voice is wrong. Iím not sure if this is intentional for the song, or if he has totally blown his voice.

6) By the Sword (with Andrew Stockdale) I love this track. Itís a little slow to start, but has an amazing Led Zeppelin vibe to it. This one could be another favorite for me on here.

7) Gotten (with Adam Levine) Not sure how I feel about this song. I have no idea who Adam Levine is, the track is slow and a little depressing, but I could see me getting really into it if I was in the right mood. So, yeah, Iím going to say I like this one for itís depressing tone.

8) Doctor Alibi (with Lemmy Kilmeister) What can I say about this track! Itís Lemmy! This is a great rocker. Very refreshing after the depressing downer of Gotten just before it. This one is catchy. Itís clearly Lemmyís voice and Slashís guitar. Good stuff!

9) Watch This Dave (with Duff McKagan and Dave Grohl) Great instrumental track. Starts off with a bit of a Velvet Revolver feel to it, only better. Maybe itís because Scott Weiland isnít singing over it and ruining the music. And goes out like a GnR classic from around Use Your Illusion.

10) I Hold On (with Kid Rock) I donít care much for Kid Rock, but this is another favorite of mine from this album. This one could easily be a Tesla song. I could hear Jeff Keith singing this. But Kid Rock does a nice job, and I am impressed and pleased with it.

11) Nothing to Say (with M Shadows) First listen to this one, I was like, Wow! This is great! Then I realized it was the guy from Avenged Sevenfold, a band that I despise. But this song is great. Another suprising favorite of mine on here. Not much else to say about it. I want to criticize it, but itís great. I will add this out of principal. GET YOUR OWN LOGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am of course referring to the blatant theft of Chaly from Overkill. Grrrrrrrr

12) Starlight (with Myles Kennedy) Again, despite being uninterested in anything Alter Bridge has to offer, I really dig his voice. Another favorite. I love this song. I especially love the vocals on the chorus. Itís the kind of song that gets stuck in your head, or at least for me it does.

13) Saint is a Sinner Too (with Rocco Deluca) I have no idea who Rocco Deluca is, but I donít care to know. This song is boring. I keep waiting for it to kick in, and it doesnít. Boring. Probably my least favorite. I like the Fergie song better, which is a stretch for me. While not unlistenable, this song is a sleeping pill.

14) Weíre All Gonna Die (with Iggy Pop) Cool punk type track. Iím not really into Iggy Pop, but it works, I like it. Itís a fun song.

Closing thoughts, this album is way better than I thought it would be, but not as good as it could have been. It did expose me to some new talent, some of which I really enjoy. And the best part, it sounds like Slash. I know that might sound silly, but sometimes solo efforts sound nothing like the person as you are used to them. Every note of this album, screams Slash and that will keep me listening to this disc over and over again.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 AM
We're dying on the inside

The first two tracks, the instrumental, and the closer are the best, but I was pretty impressed with this album on the whole. Not a GREAT album by any means, but a very pleasant surprise, and I'm always happy to hear new stuff from one of my favorite guitarists.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Mostly the same as my views, except I was disappointed with both Astbury and Ozzy. I thought the Astbury song was too disjointed, even though I'm a huge Cult fan too, and the Ozzy song was pretty ordinary.

Also, Alter Bridge don't sound at all like Creed and aren't in the influenced by the Christian thing (which was all Scott Stapp - his solo album would kill you). Give them a chance, they're a far better band, and Myles' voice is clearly outstanding. Look out for Myles' solo album later this year too. Should be special.

I didn't like the Adam Levine track either (he's the singer from Maroon 5). Didn't mind the Rocco De Luca one, but yeah, too one-dimensional and doesn't get anywhere. Lemmy was Lemmy. Loved the Stockdale one, Cornell average as you said, love the instrumental, love the Kid Rock track and love the M.Shadows track (even though I too hate Avenged Sevenfold - but not as much as I hate scene kids calling them A7x).

Additionally to your's:

15) Baby Can't Drive (with Alice Cooper & Nicole Scherzinger) - blatantly an Alice Cooper track as the lyrics would fit perfectly on either his 'Eyes of Alice Cooper' or 'Dirty Diamonds' albums, and Scherzinger does a far, far better job of singing a rock song than Fergie. Really surprised by this, and really pleased. Great closer.

Overall I was pleased it's a coherent album that as you said, sounds like Slash (which VR really didn't, especially on 'Libertad'). Really enjoyed the disc overall, and wasn't quite moved to skip any of the songs, even the ordinary ones, so that must be a good thing, right?

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka

Last edited by ravenheart; 04-20-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 AM

Speaking of Slash, just read this:

THE ROLLING STONES guitarist said he taught the ex-GUNS N' ROSES man guitar licks when London-born Slash was a child.

And now the favour is being returned too it seems, with Wood picking up tips from Slash. Speaking on his Absolute Classic Rock radio show, Wood said, "I remember him as a kid spying on me when I was playing guitar and I'd teach him little licks, and now I'm learning licks off him, it's really good."

"He's a great guy to play with and he's a great at interacting, a good weaver, you know, we can weave, like me and Bobby Womack do and me and Keith Richards do. Slash is such a great talent, and he plays in my solo band when I take it out, and he's on my new album as well."

Interesting, apart from the bit about Slash being born in London being wrong.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post

Also, Alter Bridge don't sound at all like Creed and aren't in the influenced by the Christian thing. Give them a chance, they're a far better band, and Myles' voice is clearly outstanding.
he is completely right, they sound much heavier than Creed with some really good riffs. especially Ties that Bind or Come to Life. plus if you like myles' voice, go listen to Blackbird. easily my favorite alter bridge song.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
Mostly the same as my views, except I was disappointed with both Astbury and Ozzy. I thought the Astbury song was too disjointed, even though I'm a huge Cult fan too, and the Ozzy song was pretty ordinary.

Also, Alter Bridge don't sound at all like Creed and aren't in the influenced by the Christian thing (which was all Scott Stapp - his solo album would kill you). Give them a chance, they're a far better band, and Myles' voice is clearly outstanding. Look out for Myles' solo album later this year too. Should be special.

I didn't like the Adam Levine track either (he's the singer from Maroon 5). Didn't mind the Rocco De Luca one, but yeah, too one-dimensional and doesn't get anywhere. Lemmy was Lemmy. Loved the Stockdale one, Cornell average as you said, love the instrumental, love the Kid Rock track and love the M.Shadows track (even though I too hate Avenged Sevenfold - but not as much as I hate scene kids calling them A7x).

Additionally to your's:

15) Baby Can't Drive (with Alice Cooper & Nicole Scherzinger) - blatantly an Alice Cooper track as the lyrics would fit perfectly on either his 'Eyes of Alice Cooper' or 'Dirty Diamonds' albums, and Scherzinger does a far, far better job of singing a rock song than Fergie. Really surprised by this, and really pleased. Great closer.

Overall I was pleased it's a coherent album that as you said, sounds like Slash (which VR really didn't, especially on 'Libertad'). Really enjoyed the disc overall, and wasn't quite moved to skip any of the songs, even the ordinary ones, so that must be a good thing, right?
We are almost in total agreement, hmmm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, as I have been warned about you.

As for the Alice Cooper/Nicole Scherzinger track, I wish I could swap this one out for the Fergie song or the Rocco De Lucca sleeping pill. I like this one a lot just after one listen. And yes, Scherzinger is better than Fergie, no doubt. (Note - I had to pull it up on youtube because it's not on my version of the album. Can this be downloaded somewhere or something?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM

Jeff warns everyone about me. Pay him no mind

I don't think so. I think it's only on the UK Classic Rock special pack edition.

Ours came with a special issue of Classic Rock Magazine all about Slash, a patch, a poster and a pin badge, plus the album with bonus track in a digibook.

It's rather nice

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
Jeff warns everyone about me. Pay him no mind

I don't think so. I think it's only on the UK Classic Rock special pack edition.

Ours came with a special issue of Classic Rock Magazine all about Slash, a patch, a poster and a pin badge, plus the album with bonus track in a digibook.

It's rather nice
Nice! Wow!

hmm It seems there was a Best Buy Napster Edition, where you get Baby Can't Drive and Fergie's version of Paradise City.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM

I'm not sure you'll get the 'Paradise City'? That got pulled at the last minute. It was meant to be on our CD too.

I suspect the hand of Axl

It's on YouTube though. I kinda like it.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka

Last edited by ravenheart; 04-20-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Ironbound

Quote:
I don't think you'll get the 'Paradise City'. That got pulled at the last minute. It was meant to be on our CD too.

I suspect the hand of Axl

It's on YouTube though. I kinda like it.
Well then Axl has done me at least one service in the past decade.
I am going to listen to it now, here I go!

Surprisingly it wasn't Fergie who I couldn't handle, it was the Cypress Hill parts. You could have warned me. I feel like my head is going to explode. I couldn't make it to the end.