Sleep -- Chicago, IL -- August 29th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-04-2010, 08:50 AM
That Guy

Just curious, did you catch Mutiny Within or Powerglove's sets?

I'm just wondering what to expect when I go April 12th.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Ironbound

In response to the various posts in this thread, I was also at this show, and the crowd for the most part was odd. It was not a metal crowd, not even what I'd consider a typical power metal crowd. When Tony would try and speak, joke or converse to the crowd, there was mostly silence. It made it seem like they just weren't into it. Besides FullMoon, I didn't even hear anyone singing along at all, it was like no one knew the songs. Hardly any movement in the crowd to the point where security was basically absent. I mean I didn't expect a full blown mosh pit or anything, but some fist pumps or headbanging or something would have been nice. And where did all the girls come from? Half the crowd were young girls, and not metal girls, but Nickelodeon/Disney type girls. Just because you dress in black doesn't mean you are metal. Sorry to rant so much about the crowd, but I got into Power Metal when the albums were still good, and when the fans were real. What happened to Power Metal? I guess bands are so desperate to make it in America they have to dumb down their talent to appeal to the masses here.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:20 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green and Black View Post
In response to the various posts in this thread, I was also at this show, and the crowd for the most part was odd. It was not a metal crowd, not even what I'd consider a typical power metal crowd. When Tony would try and speak, joke or converse to the crowd, there was mostly silence. It made it seem like they just weren't into it. Besides FullMoon, I didn't even hear anyone singing along at all, it was like no one knew the songs. Hardly any movement in the crowd to the point where security was basically absent. I mean I didn't expect a full blown mosh pit or anything, but some fist pumps or headbanging or something would have been nice. And where did all the girls come from? Half the crowd were young girls, and not metal girls, but Nickelodeon/Disney type girls. Just because you dress in black doesn't mean you are metal. Sorry to rant so much about the crowd, but I got into Power Metal when the albums were still good, and when the fans were real. What happened to Power Metal? I guess bands are so desperate to make it in America they have to dumb down their talent to appeal to the masses here.
This is one thing that has always bothered me, and it's not JUST Sonata Arctica. Nightwish and even Kamelot to an extent both attract these type of people, and it is just such a WTF and a massive buzzkill at the show. I can't stand it when I'm in an audience of people who don't even seem like they've ever heard the band's songs before.

Though, to be honest, Sonata aren't exactly begging for great crowd participation by playing this many newer songs. Not saying they all suck (though I think they do), but compared to their older material, it begs for an absolutely dormant audience.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:28 AM
the wicked path

Sonata fucking Fartica. Jesus christ their sets are going down the drain.
25-27 Jun: Graspop?
5-7 Aug: Wacken Open Air

Tags
sonata arctica