Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Rochester, NY -- October 1st, 2014
Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014

  #71  
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 AM
xStructualDefect's Avatar
xStructualDefect xStructualDefect is offline
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,763
let's see how many flame wars i start.

- i realized pretty much all death metal bands bore me. sure they slay live (Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, Suffocation) but after trying so many times i can't get into the studio work. it bores me quickly and makes me want to change it. weird thing is that sometimes deathcore bands appeal to me more than actual death metal bands.

- metalheads need to realize that everyone has different music tastes. not everyone is has the same musical tastes. for example I would rather listen to Korn than Iron Maiden. Maiden are gods and are very talented, but Korn appeals to me a lot more, probably for them being my favorite band for 10 years and my gateway to metal. i would also rather listen to Suicide Silence than Cannibal Corpse. i know CC are death metal gods and are very talented, and that SS isn't creative at all, but i find SS more fun to listen to.

- my musical tastes expand as time goes by. for example i used to be able to not stand any extreme metal but now i love a lot of extreme metal bands. but for the most part it's either the band interests me or not. because even though i like a lot of extreme metal there's a lot of extreme metal bands that can't hold my attention for a minute. maybe in a year or so i'll be able to listen to death metal without it boring me.

- i also realized that even if a band is extremely talented, the band may still bore me. what catches my attention is a hook for the most part, or a memorable riff. for example i can't listen to death metal without it boring me. Necrophagist fucking shreds and are very talented, but their music bores me after a bit. Decrepit Birth on the other hand shreds and their riffs are very memorable IMO.

- i also realized i really don't like listening to metal when i'm at a party or any type of drinking situatiion with friends, unless i'm drinking with only guys who also like metal. if you play metal at a party or drinking sitatuion it sets an akward vibe because not everyone likes it. i would much rather listen to Lady Gaga or LFMAO than any metal band at a party or kickback.
__________________
1.19 Nightwish
2.4 August Burns Red
2.13 Bodom
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
- i also realized i really don't like listening to metal when i'm at a party or any type of drinking situatiion with friends, unless i'm drinking with only guys who also like metal. if you play metal at a party or drinking sitatuion it sets an akward vibe because not everyone likes it. i would much rather listen to Lady Gaga or LFMAO than any metal band at a party or kickback.
I've never wanted to drink to a metal song...just thought about that...weird.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
xStructualDefect's Avatar
xStructualDefect xStructualDefect is offline
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I've never wanted to drink to a metal song...just thought about that...weird.
when you're drinking with friends who also like metal it's fun and gets you pumped, but when it's with friends who don't like it it sets a very akward vibe.
__________________
1.19 Nightwish
2.4 August Burns Red
2.13 Bodom
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
tl;dr @ thread

My belief is that there is no musical truth. More than any other thing that people might enjoy, it comes down to taste. People who like a billion kinds of music can agree that certain movies, TV shows, books, etc. are great, but you will never convince me that metal isn't the greatest music genre of all time. Why? Because I love listening to metal more than anything else. I sat in a car on a trip to St. Louis for about nine hours round trip and about six or seven songs came on that I liked that entire time, and there was music constantly playing. The other four people in the car sang along to every goddamn song that I hated/had never heard. However, when "The Number of the Beast", "Thick As a Brick", "Roundabout", "The Spirit of Radio", and "Tom Sawyer" came on, I was singing all alone. That has to be evidence that there is no supreme musical truth.

Oh, my other musical truth is that Lamb of God fucking sucks.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
-good sober rock doesn't exist exception possibly being Maiden (see the Bill Hicks quote on the subject)
From the Tool song? It's a funny quote, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't know which bands I like do drugs when they write and which don't, but I have NEVER taken in music in an impaired state, and I would argue that I love music more than most.

(didn't really wanna fight but had to say something sorry )
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Sanitarium78's Avatar
Sanitarium78 Sanitarium78 is offline
Concert Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,070
I've come to realise that Cannibal Corpse is EXTREMELY OVERRATED by their fans. The lyrics for all their songs are the same. How many times can you write about murder, necrophilia and eating dead bodies? There's only so many ways you can do that before it gets boring and they reached that by their fourth album. We get it you're trying to be controversial and shocking. The only problem is though they're not at all. What they write about isn't anything I haven't seen in some cheesy horror movie before and that's all their lyrics are is cheesy horror. I've seen them live before and I didn't feel this whole "musical brutality" they're supposed to have all the time. I was paying attention to and trying to give them a chance but I felt nothing at all.

I used to think Brave New World was better than Dance Of Death. Mainly because BNW was so huge for Maiden being their come back with Bruce and being the Iron Maiden everyone wanted them to be again. It held a special place for me a long time. Recently though i've noticed that DOD is a better album, Not that I ever thought it was a bad album to begin with. But there's a few on BNW I can do without (TM, TFA and OOTSP) when I listen to it but DOD doesn't have a track I would skip. Begining to end it's the better album and while it took me a few years to realize this i've come around to the beleif that it's the better album.

Paschendale is such an awesome song I almost cry every time I hear it. That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-03-2010, 01:02 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,955
8 pages
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
idrinkwine732's Avatar
idrinkwine732 idrinkwine732 is offline
Pursue happiness with diligence
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
From the Tool song? It's a funny quote, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't know which bands I like do drugs when they write and which don't, but I have NEVER taken in music in an impaired state, and I would argue that I love music more than most.

(didn't really wanna fight but had to say something sorry )
What quote is this?
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-03-2010, 01:04 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,904
Blog Entries: 19
That xStructuralDefect is always WRONG!
__________________
10/05 - Macabre
10/17 - Deicide
10/18 - Hammerween V
10/21 - Judas Priest
10/22 - Mastodong
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-03-2010, 01:04 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
What quote is this?
"See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records, tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fucking high on drugs, man."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008