Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Megadeth -- Scranton, PA -- March 18th, 2010

Megadeth
1. Skin O' My Teeth
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. She-Wolf
4. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
5. Hangar 18
6. Take No Prisoners
7. Five Magics
8. Poison Was The Cure
9. Lucretia
10. Tornado Of Souls
11. Dawn Patrol
12. Rust In Peace...Polaris
13. Headcrusher
14. Trust
15. Symphony Of Destruction
16. Peace Sells
17. Holy Wars (reprise)

Testament
1. Over The Wall
2. The Haunting
3. Burnt Offerings
4. Raging Waters
5. C.O.T.L.O.D.
6. First Strike Is Deadly
7. Do Or Die
8. Alone In The Dark
9. Apocalyptic City

Exodus
1. Bonded By Blood
2. The Last Act Of Defiance
3. Fabulous Disaster
4. Brain Dead
5. Piranha
6. A Lesson In Violence
7. The Toxic Waltz
8. Strike Of The Beast

Covering the beginning: after my last class here I met with my buddies and we hung out for a little bit before we headed out to A&W to eat (not that good btw for those interested). We then had to drop off some shit at the driver's apartment so that run us a bit late. We then made our way to the venue, and got a little bit lost for about 5 minutes. All in all there was nothing really exciting through out this time. Once we got to the venue (which was an old cathedral/church, fun fact), we had to park in a garage nearby so we could quickly get in the venue. It seemed that we had underestimated the time we had taken and Exodus were playing already. We quickly went in and skipped merch and caught Piranha halfway. We caught the entire last three songs though, and they were fantastic. Not having barricade was a blessing in disguise in this case, because I was so pumped from just getting there that I jumped in the pit for Toxic Waltz and I "wall'd of death'd" in the bridge of Strike Of The Beast. Very fun, very enjoyable. Fun bit of info as well, there was some minor technical problems after Piranha which had Rob Dukes doing some improv standup (which was awful btw) and him talking about the new record and such. Most interesting bit of info was it's out in May, and it's "faster than BBB". I'll believe that when I hear it. He also said that the whole band was going to be at their merch after Testament signing shit, so there was no way I wouldn't be in on that. It was a bit of a bummer to have missed the three songs I was mainly going for, but the prospect of seeing The Legacy and RIP in its entirety kind of made me not care too much.

After Exodus, we stopped by the merch booth to finally check out the merch, and I have not seen such awesome shirts in a long time. The RIP shirts were fantastic, and the Testament shirts were even better. The Exodus shirts were also very good, a bump up from their previous tour with Arch Enemy. Only thing that was VERY ugly was the price, $35 was the cheapest. I didn't get anything because I already have a shirt from all three, and I'm trying to cut back on my black, band T-shirt wardrobe, I've got plenty already. Anyway, after some venue exploring (they had a little coffee lounge in the basement, best find) we went back in to see the almighty Testament. They just whipped through the formidable set of The Legacy, and it was so great to hear it live and in the flesh. The record sounds so much better live than it does studio; Chuck's ridiculously powerful voice is ages better than what it was back then, and all the musicians (excluding Bostaph since he wasn't on it, but you get my point) have increased their talents. Well, I also forgot about Alex not being there, but Glen did more than a great job filling in for him. It was really cool to see Glen again, and all the band members were totally fucking with him on stage (in a friendly manner of course), especially Chuck. Throwing picks at the guy while solo'ing, air guitaring with him, it was real cool to see the chemistry alive. Something interesting I noticed since Alex not being on the tour was that Peterson can shred! I don't mean to sound stupid, I knew he could solo and I knew he had solo's, but maybe it's just because they never played all The Legacy or Alex wasn't there, but man he took the lead spot a lot! And damn did he do it justice. Fantastic performance from the mighty Testament, highlights were Burnt Offerings, Apocalyptic City, and one I've been wanting to hear for months now, Alone In The Dark with fun sing-along portion at the end .

Once Testament had finished, me and my buds found each other and bolted for the Exodus merch booth, and indeed their they were, in the flesh and everything. We waited on line for about 5 minutes, and then I got my ticket signed by each and every one of them, including a picture with each as well. Dukes seemed a little bit pissy, didn't come off as the most friendly of individuals, which was odd because he seemed pretty enthusiastic about it all on stage. I didn't think twice of it though, probably got in a bad mood. He's human too. Jack Gibson was real nice, fun fact about him: The Last Act Of Defiance is his favorite Exodus song. Not important, but worth mentioning I guess. Meeting Gary was awesome, he was a chill guy, nothing stellar in his personality, but kind enough. The switch from Bernie Rico to Schecter came up, and he said that Bernie was bit faulty at points, so I'm assuming it was technical, although I'm sure something personal happened as well. He also cleared up the awful sound issues they had at their last show with Arch Enemy; he said they had an awful sound tech who didn't know what the hell he was doing. Holt said they booted him four days after that show. More than condoned, because that was so ridiculous, glad they had a tight sound at this one. Tom Hunting was next, and he was a nice guy, didn't say much, but seemed cool. Lee Atlus was really cool, up there with Gary for being the chillest. He was wearing a Heathen sweatshirt, and the first thing I told him was "I fucking love your sweatshirt man". He got this big smile and laughed, and he said thank you so much, you liked the new album? I told him how I absolutely loved it, and that me being the harmonic minor whore I am, the intro song "Dying Season" made me go nuts. He high fived me upon the harmonic minor whore comment, he just said "I love harmonic minor as well, best scale there is!". I asked him if when he would actually tour with Heathen for The Evolution Of Chaos, and he said that h was busy with Exodus but he would love to have Heathen on the same bill as Exodus. I implored him to send that tour upstate to the Binghamton area, and he said he'd try. Great down-to-earth guy, great talent. After those endeavors, my friends bought an Endgame CD to meet Mustaine after the show, but it was $25 so I had to pass. Wasn't a big loss anyway, I predicted (correctly) that it was just going to be a "Hello, thanks for buying my CD *sign*, shake hand" deal.

Finally, the reason for attending had began. After some wait, the Black Sabbath intro with spoken announcer voice saying things like in the beginning of the track "Endgame" came on. It was so exciting to see the nuclear bass drums, and the RIP Vic on the huge banner. Rust In Peace is my favorite album of all time, so I knew that I was in for quite a treat. After some time, Shawn, Chris, Dave E. and Dave M. came out, in that order. They did no bullshit in starting with "Skin...", and it was such a refreshment of Megadeth for me. Last time I saw them, I'd seen them at Gigantour '07 (with COB and In Flames), and I had to miss out on about 1/4 of their set due to my stupid girlfriend at the time. Obviously I still enjoyed Megadeth, but having to spend time with her made it very meh at points. But I digress. This time, having no boundaries and a more than decent amount of energy in me, I just headbanged away throughout their set. Hearing "In My Darkest Hour" again was real cool, and She-Wolf for the first time was fucking awesome. The harmony always blows my mind, so catchy. After those three, the true spectacle began though. The first three were flawless, thrash-at-it's-finest, pounding as always. For me, the moment of glory came upon hearing the first ten seconds of Five Magics. It was so surreal to be hearing it live, I would have never guessed years ago when I first got into Megadeth/the album that they would ever be playing these obscure songs. It was so fantastic to be hearing them in the flesh. I went as crazy as my body would allow for all those categorized as "they'll probably never play them again after this tour", those being Five Magics, Poison Was The Cure, Lucretia, and Rust In Peace...Polaris. Hell, Dawn Patrol was fucking sick . Everything was just so glorious, when it was over, a chapter of my life had been fulfilled. There are still lots more to go, metal or not, but one was definitely chartered last night. After that they went into the usual, which was still good. Seeing Ellefson on stage with the Megadethers again was real cool, definitely gave the experience a different level. All and all, best time I've seen Megadeth and it was easily up there as being one of the best shows I've been to.

After the show my buds went to go meet Mustaine while me and a friend went to get drinks and wait in the car. Upon arrival they said it was just like I said, and they said he appeared to be really busy and didn't have much time for talk, or pictures. Figures. I always try to use the "he's human too" defense for just about any metal musician in cases like these, but it seems Mustaine always lets me down a bit. I have yet to meet him, but so far evidence has been overwhelmingly negative, or poor at least. When I meet him eventually, I have my fingers crossed that maybe he'll surprise me. In the end, I'm not losing sleep though. We drove all the way back to Bing, went in my dorm, and couldn't fall asleep for another two hours. A metal night indeed .

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 03-19-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Was Michael Scott in attendance?
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Metal DJ

Great show....it was sold out, so I snuck in through the smoking section. Gotta do what I gotta do to see a killer show!!

Got pics w/ David Ellefson, Glenn Drover, and Chuck Billy.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:25 AM
N00B

NO! Why is Set the World Afire not opening?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Yeah, Michael Scott actually filled in for Alex on guitar. I lied when I said it was Glen, I just didn't wanna seem weird
Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
N00B

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM
N00B

Thumbs up

Good review man. I was lucky enough to see Megadeth 2 times on original rust in peace tour and I am really jealous chicago area is not getting this awesome tour.looks amazing. Saw them with slayer and anthrax on clash of titans and judas priest on painkiller and they were amazing with marty friedman. Your review brings back great memories. I think it may have been pantera opening the priest tour but can't remember.any old farts out there remember who the opening band for the priest tour?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 AM
N00B

I had to drive quite a distance for this show but I'm glad I did. The venue was pretty good and it was (outside of the distance) easy to get to. Nice to see cheap parking close by as well.

For the show, my friend and I both thought we heard a bit of High Speed Dirt before Skin o my Teeth, were we just hearinig things? I know about the sound problems they had at the last show, did anyone else think that the voice was really low and cutting out at times? I was wondering if it was just were we were standing. Overall, really glad we made the trip.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Was Michael Scott in attendance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
Yeah, Michael Scott actually filled in for Alex on guitar. I lied when I said it was Glen, I just didn't wanna seem weird
Dude, Dwight Schrute would have been ALL OVER this show.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 AM
N00B

wow, great set!
I hope that they give us the RIP album in our show in Santiago, I see it difficult bu anyway, I'm tired of hear the same songs everytime they come down to South America, the only songs they change are of the album that they are promoting, so if they gonna play RIP, I'll buy my ticket

Mustaine in 2008, I went with friends to the airport to meet Megadeth, we wait like 7 hours to Mustaine left me with my hand extended, and make me feel ridiculous, I understand he doesn't like photos, bu man, a shake of hand, is nothing. As a musician he is God, as a person he doesn't have my respect.

Tags
exodus, megadeth, testament