High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
They could be more time-conscious though. Sure, Dream Theater has tons of long songs, but they also have recorded their fair share of shorter numbers. Granted, ANTR and TCOT are staples of every set, so there's nothing they can do. This setlist wasn't too bad, but I mean take In the Name of God - it's about 14 minutes long. Even if they wanted to still represent Train of Thought, if they canned it for As I Am and then put in something like 6:00 or any of the many shorter (6-minute) songs off Awake, it would take up about the same amount of time. Also, the version of Hollow Years they play now is a few minutes longer than the studio version, but I'm hesitant to criticize it because I do love Petrucci's solo in it.

It's definitely true that can't do much with 90 minutes, but as I said, I think they could be doing better than they are in terms of picking more time-conscious songs.

(Please, please, please don't let this start some other argument)
Hahaha, no worries

6:00 wouldn't work, they refuse to play it anymore since Kevin Moore wrote it. I really wish they would, cause it's a great song.

I would be so pissed if they Scraped ITNOG for As I Am, I almost cried when I heard John playing those opening notes, seriously, im not even kidding. haha

I have more to say but my ride to Kreator just arrived. *runs away*

But ill be back *shakes fist* haha
Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM
In Search of Truth

I actually never knew that about 6:00, that sucks. But anyway, as I said, Awake has a lot of shorter songs on it - Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded, The Mirror, Lie...
Old 03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
N00B

I'm sure I remember reading a quote from Kevin Moore years ago when he said 6:00 was his "resignation statement". It was too long ago for me to remember specifics now so take it with the proverbial "grain of salt" if you wish.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Layne View Post
I'm sure I remember reading a quote from Kevin Moore years ago when he said 6:00 was his "resignation statement". It was too long ago for me to remember specifics now so take it with the proverbial "grain of salt" if you wish.
6:00 was indeed written as Kevin Moore's resignation. He wrote the lyrics when he made the descision to leave the band. He didn't even stay for that tour. He finished the recording and was done with them. They got Derek Sharinian to replace him for the tour and the next album.

If DT does bring back the "evening with" format I would have no problem with them. Right now that's my main issue and the only problem i've ever had with them to be honest. I understand doing the Prog Nation tours to help get some other newer bands noticed, but they're taking away what makes them a special live act by doing that.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:36 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

I dont think DT knows how to manage doing 90 minute sets if this is the first tour they have shorten the sets like this then this is still very new to them. If they did there songs that are 9 minutes or under that would fine. Instead of solos all the time they could just keep in Erotomania or do Hells Kitchen. They could do a little better with sets but nothing to make a big deal about unless they start doing something like this when they open for Maiden.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
N00B

Well guys, we must wait until the next album and the next tour

Portnoy confirmed that the next tour will be again.. "an evening with DT"...so the three hour shows will return, and I think and I hope that this desition is to play the whole AA Saga, and also a lot of songs....The Glass Prison/This Dying Soul and the rest of it.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 PM
We're dying on the inside

I must be the only one but I would be fucking BORED by a three hour Dream Theater show, and I love Dream Theater. By far the worst thing about them solos and jams. Most of their albums are full of great songs, why do shit in saga/medley/jam/wankfest form? If they choose their setlist well, this opening spot for Maiden will be the best thing that ever happened to them.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I actually never knew that about 6:00, that sucks. But anyway, as I said, Awake has a lot of shorter songs on it - Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded, The Mirror, Lie...
Fair enough, the worst thing DT ever did to me involving Awake or I&W was the second time I saw them they played Erotomania and Voices, BUT NO SILENT MAN! Whats the point of doing 2 parts of a 3 part song?? haha

At least they closed with Metropolis. hehe

Tags
dream theater