The Empty Hearts -- Cranston, RI -- October 19th, 2014
King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Old 03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
this thread should be renamed to "battle of the long-winded posts", holy shit.
Yeah, I know - it's such a bother when people have thoughts that can't be expressed and compressed in three sentences or less.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:13 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Yeah, I know - it's such a bother when people have thoughts that can't be expressed and compressed in three sentences or less.

but the majority of posts here are just paragraphs and paragraphs of each others opinions with no real argumentative basis.

also, when someone needs to post pages worth of rambling text to support a simple statement it makes it seem like theyre grasping for straws.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
but the majority of posts here are just paragraphs and paragraphs of each others opinions with no real argumentative basis.
Isn't that why people join message boards in the first place? To have a place to state their opinions on things, weather it be long winded or not. Not everything people post has to be argumentative. Sometimes they just have thoughts they need to get out, and once those thoughts start pouring out you can find it hard to stop right away.

I actually thought this ended up being a decent discussion just based on the fact that there were a few people defending Queensryche. You don't see that to often anymore.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Even if I accept all that, which I'm not prepared to, you say it like it's a bad thing. Frankly, if this career Maiden has pieced together is all based on one core sound, they couldn't have picked a better one.
Okay, I missed this earlier, so my apologies.

It's not a bad thing, I'm using it to highlight the difference in how bands are treated. I mean, it's kind of like this: Iron Maiden makes steak. You want great steak? Iron Maiden's not going to let you down. Oh sure, each time you come back the steak's a little bit different, but they haven't really changed the core product: It's just steak. If you like steak, you're going to keep coming back for it. Whenever you want a good steak, you know you can count on Iron Maiden.

A band like Queensryche, they're cooking up a variety of things. Maybe they got big doing steak, but now... it's a variety. And it might not appeal to everybody. So it's easy to say, "I love steak - they made good steak, now there's not steak." Or, "Now the steak isn't as good, because they're throwing x, y, or z on it." And that's fine. If you like steak, you might not like the other stuff. And that's fine.

But I'm really waiting to hear an argument about how Iron Maiden's approach to songwriting has changed over the last twenty years in any real way.

Again - it's not a bad thing, it just fits my argument earlier that it's easier to accept a mediocre Iron Maiden album, because if you like steak, you probably like mediocre steak better than, let's say, any type of sushi. So it's really easy to say Queensryche sucks, they should just quit, etc. because they haven't released a good album since whenever, while at the same time saying Iron Maiden should keep releasing albums - even though most people would say Iron Maiden's new albums are not as good as their albums from whenever, because even if they're not as good, it's still very close to the form of steak/music that caught your attention in the first place, so it's easier to accept.

(I realize how retarded this all sounds. But hopefully you get my idea here.)

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 03-11-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheese View Post
Okay, I missed this earlier, so my apologies.

It's not a bad thing, I'm using it to highlight the difference in how bands are treated. I mean, it's kind of like this: Iron Maiden makes steak. You want great steak? Iron Maiden's not going to let you down. Oh sure, each time you come back the steak's a little bit different, but they haven't really changed the core product: It's just steak. If you like steak, you're going to keep coming back for it. Whenever you want a good steak, you know you can count on Iron Maiden.

A band like Queensryche, they're cooking up a variety of things. Maybe they got big doing steak, but now... it's a variety. And it might not appeal to everybody. So it's easy to say, "I love steak - they made good steak, now there's not steak." Or, "Now the steak isn't as good, because they're throwing x, y, or z on it." And that's fine. If you like steak, you might not like the other stuff. And that's fine.

But I'm really waiting to hear an argument about how Iron Maiden's approach to songwriting has changed over the last twenty years in any real way.

Again - it's not a bad thing, it just fits my argument earlier that it's easier to accept a mediocre Iron Maiden album, because if you like steak, you probably like mediocre steak better than, let's say, any type of sushi. So it's really easy to say Queensryche sucks, they should just quit, etc. because they haven't released a good album since whenever, while at the same time saying Iron Maiden should keep releasing albums - even though most people would say Iron Maiden's new albums are not as good as their albums from whenever, because even if they're not as good, it's still very close to the form of steak/music that caught your attention in the first place, so it's easier to accept.

(I realize how retarded this all sounds. But hopefully you get my idea here.)
You just mad because Maiden don't make cheesesteak.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:08 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
You just mad because Maiden don't make cheesesteak.

I'm not a huge cheesesteak fan to be honest.

And by the way, everything I've said here... Has been said while I'm plotting which Iron Maiden show to attend this summer
Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Damn, I could go for some medium-rare goodness right about now.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Damn, I could go for some medium-rare goodness right about now.
Yeah. I shouldn't write posts when I'm hungry.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheese View Post
I really don't think I'm going to have this out, because I just don't care that much.

I think whether or not Maiden "changed their approach to songwriting" depends on how exactly broad-opinioned you are. Judging by everything else, I've seen here in this thread, you clearly are far more than I, so being that Maiden has never taken any HUGE jumps, it's probably very logical that you think they've never changed - because it's still in that one facet of music you listen to.

But I see it very differently. Being that I like a lot of different bands and subgenres that were very spawned by different individual periods of Maiden's career, and not a whole lot that has NOTHING to do with what Maiden are about (self-admittedly), in my eyes they have covered more musical ground.

For instance, I can cite Maiden influence by era. Sometimes I'll be listening to a band, and here some guitar lines and say: "Oh, that's Somewhere In Time/Seventh Son Maiden stuff", or "Damn, that's Powerslave right there". To me, every couple of albums Maiden entered slightly different territory. But really I think if you MUST break it down, there are two big jumps in their evolution. The first is between the sound of the DiAnno years and the true sound of the DiAnno years, which I'm actually willing to argue didn't occur until Piece of Mind, and in a sense, Number of the Beast is more like Killers than Piece of Mind - and the second is between Fear of the Dark, and The X Factor. I think stylistically they have no doubt been riding the same wave-length for 15 years now, but since The X Factor and Virtual XI are my two least favorite and not favorite records with that sound, I enjoy it more, because they didn't maximize the style, then just keep rehashing it in weaker forms.