Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Because the production is the only thing that makes a band good, yep.
You were the one whining about polished production.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
You were the one whining about polished production.
You're still failing to make a point. Let's say I like Motorhead's production. Shouldn't they still have to write good songs?
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
You're still failing to make a point. Let's say I like Motorhead's production. Shouldn't they still have to write good songs?
Your argument is the equivalent of me saying "shouldn't Whitesnake have to write good songs?"
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Your argument is the equivalent of me saying "shouldn't Whitesnake have to write good songs?"
I don't follow. Please tell me your argument explicitly, because I don't know what I'm arguing against.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I don't follow. Please tell me your argument explicitly, because I don't know what I'm arguing against.
When it comes to straight rock bands (which is how I refer to "old school metal"), any halfwit moron can say 'they don't write good songs' because of some stupid misconception of image or what they think a good song is supposed to be. I'm sure plenty of people can back me up when I say Motorhead have plenty of good riffs, verses, choruses and, very unlike most old school metal bands, lyrics.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
When it comes to straight rock bands (which is how I refer to "old school metal"), any halfwit moron can say 'they don't write good songs' because of some stupid misconception of image or what they think a good song is supposed to be. I'm sure plenty of people can back me up when I say Motorhead have plenty of good riffs, verses, choruses and, very unlike most old school metal bands, lyrics.
Okay, and I think they suck. Not because of a preconceived notion of what a good song is, but because I derive no pleasure from listening to them.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is online now
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,644
Personally, I find the problem with todays production is that you can actually varnish every little note and utterance in a song with the use of a computer, without actually being able to replicate it live, Dragonforce being a prime offender. I think that over production occurs when the band cant replicate the sound live, obviously within a margin, singer's voice wearing down on tour and what not.

In Maidens era, and indeed Motorheads, you pretty much had to record the songs live, the band had to play them all together, then leads and vocal tracks would be added. Many of these bands still practise this, and they are better for it, their live show is better, and any Maiden or Motorhead fan, or both in my case, will tell you that their records have always had a certain warmness to them in the recording, and its always been good to know that it will sound almost the same live. Nowadays, bands can layer everything a million times, do everything over and over again for the best take too, and some of the newer bands could really do with playing the songs live instead. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 PM
SerpentineVIVIVI's Avatar
SerpentineVIVIVI SerpentineVIVIVI is offline
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
When it comes to straight rock bands (which is how I refer to "old school metal"), any halfwit moron can say 'they don't write good songs' because of some stupid misconception of image or what they think a good song is supposed to be. I'm sure plenty of people can back me up when I say Motorhead have plenty of good riffs, verses, choruses and, very unlike most old school metal bands, lyrics.
I like Motorhead.

Establishing that, 95% of their stuff sounds exactly the same. Same chord progression, same voice, same solos.
__________________
"We praise an act of charity, yet shrug at an act of achievement."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968
Listening to a few songs, and I think this band is pretty rockin' albeit not the most original thing I've heard. Nice riffage.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008