Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Humanaut

Dark Tranquillity -- Jacksonville, FL -- February 9th, 2010

Venue: Jack Rabbits

First off, if I wouldn't of gone with people who had been to this place before, I would never have found it. It's a hole in the wall and the sign for the building is spray painted on the door. We got there around 6:15 PM and there was about 3 people waiting outside. I had a American History quiz the next day that I had forgotten to read for, so I went next door to this burrito place and bought some food and read until doors opened. Went inside; there was a bar to my right and a small ass stage to my left. It was about the size of your average local bar/music venue, but it just shames me that everywhere else in the world, Dark Tranquillity wouldn't be playing in a place like this. It must have been like they were back in the late 80's-early 90's when they had just started off as a band. But we had to go through the 2 openers.

First up was a band called Glorious Gunner. The definently surprised me, as they played a whole range of songs, and you can tell there influences come from all corners of the metal world as Americans know it. Very entertaining band, who I wouldn't mind seeing again.

Next was a band from Savannah, GA called Sinister Mustache. I had no idea what to expect, but from the looks of the band I was expecting something along the lines of Clutch. I was completely fucking wrong. What they played was a mish-mash of Meshuggah, Opeth, Dream Theater, Pelican, and a little bit of Clutch influence in the drums. If I wouldn't have spent the only cash I had on the DT shirt I would have picked up there CD, which was only 5 bucks. This is a DEFINITE recommendation to all in this forum, because not only was this band pretty damn good, but they were extremely nice guys.

Myspace Link: http://www.myspace.com/sinistermoustache

NOW, finally the time had come for Dark Tranquillity to come on. I'll post the setlist first.

Dark Tranquillity
1. Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)
2. The Lesser Faith
3. Dream Oblivion
4. Focus Shift
5. Misery's Crown
6. Monochromatic Stains
7. Lost To Apathy
8. At The Point Of Ignition
9. The Endless Feed
9. Icipher
10. The Grandest Accusation (World Premiere)
11. The Wonders At Your Feet (Instrumental)
12. Punish My Heaven
13. The Treason Wall
14. Therein
15. Final Resistance

Terminus was such an awesome opener. The entire fucking show was awesome. You can never go wrong with Dark Tranquillity. Even though there were less than 100 people in there and they were cramped for space on stage, they still looked like they were having a blast. As for Wonders being an instrumental, let me explain what happened. Throughout the whole show up until this song, I had noticed Mikael kind of holding his stomach while he was singing, and as they got deeper into there set, I noticed he'd forget to sing a line or two. I didn't think much of this, that is until they started playing Wonders. Basically, Mikael nailed the first line of the song, standing right over me with me singing along. He shifted his position on stage to my right, and not even 1/2 a second later, he puked all over the fucking place. I think he knew it was coming because he had crouched down and he puked into this little opening in the front of the stage, but some of it went all over the setlist (IMPORTANT). He went off stage, found a trash can and kept puking. The band kept playing ,we sang along, and Miakel made it back in time to sing the last line of the song. He then explained he hadn't been feeling good since the night before and something he had eaten at HOB was probably the cause (that mixed with drinking beer probably fucked him over). Anyways, even though you could tell he was feeling like shit, they finished the show. Pure class!

After the show, I got to meet everyone except Daniel. They were all nice guys, especially Martin and Mikael. Martin stuck around and talked with us a little bit, and while he was doing that, some guy handed him a setlist to sign. He signed it and commented on this orange stain that was on it. Martin asked what it was, and someone said it was Mikael's puke from earlier. His reaction was hilarious. He kind of just looked around at us, then at his hands, then at the guy who asked him to sign it. He gave him a kind of "Are you kidding me?" look. He stayed around about another minute then went to was his hands. I also got the chance to talk with Mikael for about 15 minutes. We talked about the start of the tour, which he brought up that KsE were extremely nice guys and they had toured with them on DT's first US tour back in 2002. He said they were treating them extremely well. When I asked his opinion about Devil Wears Prada, it took him about 10 seconds to formulate the "not a fan of there music, but nice guys" answer. So he hates their music.
He said they'll be back for a full US headlining tour in May, with 2 supporting bands that he said they were quite pleased with but he couldn't tell us anything else, like what bands. I said if they came over with Darkane, that would destory, and he kind of chuckled but didn't comment on the matter..........sooooo maybe I will get to see Darkane again!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall, awesome show. Got stuff signed. Tour shirt and a We Are the Void shirt for 20$. The new DVD/CD set they have for 15$. A woman's top and a beanie. Can't wait for May!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:57 AM

that is a really great setlist. it'd be nice too see The New Build though.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 02-12-2010, 12:20 PM
N00B

poor Mikael
3/6 Abigail Williams
3/17 Iron Maiden
3/26 Comeback Kid
Old 02-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

~snickers~ As vomit stories go, this one ranks pretty high up - the reaction of the fan with the setlist was classic.

And I now feel at ease with my decision not to catch them on their KsE tour. I have no problem waiting a few extra months for a different tour.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
that is a really great setlist. it'd be nice too see The New Build though.
Those were my exact thoughts after I read through the setlist when they tapped them down. I love that song and I would love to hear it live.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:35 PM
N00B

really good set, hoping for at least one more off the Gallery though for their headlining tour

Tags
dark tranquillity