Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ne Obliviscaris -- Sydney, Australia -- November 27th, 2014
Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Nile -- Cleveland, OH -- January 20th, 2010

Venue: Peabody's Down Under
Source: Yours truly (plus other fans / the bands in question)

I was worried I would get there a bit late for Dreaming Dead, who were about 33% of my reason for wanting to go to this show (more on that later). The bad news is that the show started fifteen minutes earlier than I thought, and I was already running late. The good news is, Despised Icon had somehow been added to this date, and so they had played and finished before I got there. I missed a semi-shitty deathcore band, and arrived just in time to see Dreaming Dead - win win!

So, Dreaming Dead had a few technical problems (that weren't their fault). Elizabeth's vocals were mixed way down. She said something about it to the clown who was running the sound board, and he basically did nothing to fix it. He also fucked up on some samples, too - which isn't the reason you go to see a band, but it adds to the ambience, and it seemed a bit unfair to me that the Peabody's crew couldn't get it sorted out. Oh well, no matter, because Dreaming Dead raged through their set anyway, and after it was over I overheard several people asking, "who the hell was that?" and, "damn, they were good!". So, justice was served in the end, but what people probably didn't know was that Dreaming Dead sound even better than that on album. Hopefully a bunch of folks bought their CD and will give it a spin. Here's their set (confirmed by drummer Mike):

DREAMING DEAD
Midnightmares (new)
Stairs Into the Vortex
Putrid Is the Sky
Exile (new)
Insanity Reigns (new)

The new stuff will be part of their upcoming album (as yet untitled), which Elizabeth said should be out later this year, hopefully. Both Elizabeth and Mike (the band's founders) were super chill and down to earth, and their touring guitarist Laura was also really cool as well. I bought a copy of their CD "Within One", and both Laura and Elizabeth signed it for me. Laura even gave me a hug.

Next up was Krisiun. They were quite good. I knew nothing about them going in, except that they are a death metal outfit from Brazil. They raged. I have no idea what their set was, because as I said, I don't know their material, but they were definitely worth seeing. Check 'em out if you get a chance.

Then came Immolation. I have to admit, I didn't have much background on them, either - although I had been given some of their stuff in the past. I expected them to be pretty awesome, though, as I've heard great things about their live show. I was informed correctly - these guys are damn good. They are basically your standard death metal band, definitely on the heavy and down-tuned side, with brutal riffs, tons of attitude, and blackened just enough to make things interesting. Yes, Immolations tears shit up live - I enjoyed their set immensely. They announced most of their songs, and what they didn't announce, I gathered from fans afterward. Here it is:

IMMOLATION
Passion Kill
Swarm of Terror
Majesty and Decay (title track of their upcoming album)
Den of Thieves
I Feel Nothing
No Jesus, No Beast
Father, You're Not a Father (they offered to play this or World Agony as their last song due to time constraints - the crowd chose this)

Finally, there was Nile. They played the same set they have been playing thus far, and didn't have to skip anything because of time. This was actually my first time seeing them, even though I've been a fan for several years. All I have to say is HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS. These guys are good - and heavy - and fast - and heavy - and accurate - and fucking heavy. Now, I already knew this going in, of course, but to see them blow the roof off the place live like they did was even more impressive.

Let me just jot down their set here, and then I'll sing Nile's praises for a few more seconds, and then I'll shut up:

NILE
Kafir!
Sacrifice Unto Sebek
Hittite Dung Incantation
Serpent Headed Mask
Ithyphallic
Execration Text
Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve Its Possesor Against He Who Is In The Water
4th Arra of Dagon
Permitting the Noble Dead to Descend to the Underworld
Sarcophagus
Lashed to the Slave Stick
Cast Down the Heretic
Black Seeds of Vengeance

Everything about Nile's set was awesome. Lots of people showed up. They moshed. They screamed. They knew the words, and chanted with fists in the air. Nile played flawlessly. They were mixed well. They were loud as fuck. They kicked our fucking asses for over an hour, and we all loved it.

After the set, several band members hung around to shake hands with the crowd. Their bassist Chris threw a pick out, and I caught it - it wasn't personalized, but it did have an ankh symbol on one side, and the band's logo on the other, so . I had bought a copy of Nile's newest CD, and I asked Karl to sign it for me. He was nice as hell - a real sweetheart. I've said it before, and I'll say it here again...I just love it when people this talented take the time to talk with you and meet you, and you find out that they are cool as hell. It's really early, but I think this show is going to go down as one of the best of 2010 at the end of the day.

Bottom line: If you are reading this, then you need to get your ass out to see this tour. Period. No excuses. Borrow the money. Bum a ride if you have to, but just go.

The Nat

Last edited by Natrlhi; 03-22-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Laura even gave me a hug.
tellin ur wife

Awesome though, really looking forward to seeing this next month.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
tellin ur wife
No biggie. She has already seen the photo of me and Jackie Gratz from Grayceon, and she didn't have a cow about that, so...
Old 01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I decided to go to this over Behemoth, I hope I made the right choice. I'm so excited to hear an ear shattering loud "THERE IS NO GOD BUT GOD" chant...
Old 01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
No biggie. She has already seen the photo of me and Jackie Gratz from Grayceon, and she didn't have a cow about that, so...
Might see them on Saturday btws.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I decided to go to this over Behemoth, I hope I made the right choice. I'm so excited to hear an ear shattering loud "THERE IS NO GOD BUT GOD" chant...
Oh, you did, and you will.

Quote:
Might see them on Saturday btws.
Oh, you should.

P.S. - Tell Jackie that that big fucking dude from Cleveland who drove five hours to see their show in Chicago last August, who chose to see Giant Squid and Grayceon instead of Tool at Lollapalooza which was right across town, who met the whole band, filmed the set, and took a picture with her and Aaron, says "hi". It'll blow her fucking mind that a local such as yourself is aware of another big fan of theirs 2/3 of the way across the fucking country.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-21-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I WANT THAT IMMO SETLIST!

ilu nat <3
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
ilu nat <3
rbay, manks
Old 01-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:

GOING TO BE EPIC
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 PM

^ Seriously, that was one of the high points of the show. Another couple were the chant at the end of "4th Arra of Dagon" (worth waiting for), and the entire song "Lashed to the Slave Stick". Holy Shittt.

Tags
dreaming dead, immolation, krisiun, nile