Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Regretting my username

Struck By Lightning -- Columbus, OH -- January 16th, 2010

So, yesterday I was browsing the web for some shows and found out Struck By Lightning (Columbus-based) were playing for free down at a bar called Skully's Music-Diner. A local culture paper, Columbus Alive, was sponsoring a free concert featuring 5 local bands "to watch in 2010." How could I pass it up? A two minute bus ride, rockin' metal, and my first exposure to the local scene.

After pounding a few brews at a friend's house, my other friend and I rode down to the venue. It was pretty packed, and we got there as the second band was finishing up. I think they were called Shin Tower Music, and they were heavily electronic/noise/indie whatever. Very enjoyable. Then Saintseneca came on, featuring 3 white hipsters and an asian girl, and they played the mandolin, violin, guitar, banjo, some african guitar, Appalachian Dulcimer, maracas, tamberine, and a plastic trashcan as a drum. Interesting, to the say the least.

Then a band called Nick Tolford and Company came on, and wow did they come on. The dude behind the piano and mic, Nick Tolford I assume, was like a fat Neil Fallon. He had an amazing singing voice, over some sweet blues guitar and bass and drums, and 3 young ladies in a 60s style soul line. Very very entertaining.

So, up to that point, there were tons of people in the building...most people you would expect to see in a college town...well-dressed, nice-smelling, whatever. As soon as Tolford finished and they announced the last band was going to be Struck By Lightning, they all left. So, I got on the 'rail' of the stage...next to a 70 year old man and a Northface wearing chick, who asked her Northface wearing boyfriend whether or not she would be able to 'dance' to the next band.

Anyway.....the grimey metal looking dudes in Struck By Lightning came on around 12:15. They fucking rocked. I hadn't really listened to them before tonight, but I got a picture of the setlist for you guys.

Bottomless Pit
The Watchful Eye
Nothing Sacred
Becoming Earth
Tightening the Noose
False Hope
Silent and Still

Like I said, the band was great...but the crowd was not so much. This one guy, had to be at least 50, long greasy hair, denim vest that had just as many gas station patches as cliched punk band patches.....as soon as the band started, he turned around and faced the crowd and gave the 'fist'....basically he was drunkenly posturing to the rest of the world that he was the king of 'not letting the dream go, man.' That would be great and all, but he kept hitting me and the 70 year old guy next to me. (Not sure why he was there either...oh well.) There were people trying to mosh...but most people weren't in the mood. In the moshing fray, I got almost an entire pitcher of shitty beer spilled on my head and sweatshirt, which would later cause anxiety every time I passed a cop or authority figure in my dorm.

Anyway...thats it. I got a CD, patch, and pin. I recommend you guys go out and see them if you ever get the chance.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
So, yesterday I was browsing the web for some shows and found out Struck By Lightning (Columbus-based) were playing for free down at a bar called Skully's Music-Diner. A local culture paper, Columbus Alive, was sponsoring a free concert featuring 5 local bands "to watch in 2010." How could I pass it up? A two minute bus ride, rockin' metal, and my first exposure to the local scene.

After pounding a few brews at a friend's house, my other friend and I rode down to the venue. It was pretty packed, and we got there as the second band was finishing up. I think they were called Shin Tower Music, and they were heavily electronic/noise/indie whatever. Very enjoyable. Then Saintseneca came on, featuring 3 white hipsters and an asian girl, and they played the mandolin, violin, guitar, banjo, some african guitar, Appalachian Dulcimer, maracas, tamberine, and a plastic trashcan as a drum. Interesting, to the say the least.

Then a band called Nick Tolford and Company came on, and wow did they come on. The dude behind the piano and mic, Nick Tolford I assume, was like a fat Neil Fallon. He had an amazing singing voice, over some sweet blues guitar and bass and drums, and 3 young ladies in a 60s style soul line. Very very entertaining.

So, up to that point, there were tons of people in the building...most people you would expect to see in a college town...well-dressed, nice-smelling, whatever. As soon as Tolford finished and they announced the last band was going to be Struck By Lightning, they all left. So, I got on the 'rail' of the stage...next to a 70 year old man and a Northface wearing chick, who asked her Northface wearing boyfriend whether or not she would be able to 'dance' to the next band.

Anyway.....the grimey metal looking dudes in Struck By Lightning came on around 12:15. They fucking rocked. I hadn't really listened to them before tonight, but I got a picture of the setlist for you guys.

Bottomless Pit
The Watchful Eye
Nothing Sacred
Becoming Earth
Tightening the Noose
False Hope
Silent and Still

Like I said, the band was great...but the crowd was not so much. This one guy, had to be at least 50, long greasy hair, denim vest that had just as many gas station patches as cliched punk band patches.....as soon as the band started, he turned around and faced the crowd and gave the 'fist'....basically he was drunkenly posturing to the rest of the world that he was the king of 'not letting the dream go, man.' That would be great and all, but he kept hitting me and the 70 year old guy next to me. (Not sure why he was there either...oh well.) There were people trying to mosh...but most people weren't in the mood. In the moshing fray, I got almost an entire pitcher of shitty beer spilled on my head and sweatshirt, which would later cause anxiety every time I passed a cop or authority figure in my dorm.

Anyway...thats it. I got a CD, patch, and pin. I recommend you guys go out and see them if you ever get the chance.
70 year old metalheads.

That's a basically perfect setlist, just needs "Widowmaker" and you're there. Sounds like a sweet show, I really hope they play Scion.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I really hope they play Scion.

Thanks for posting, and glad to see you made the right decision on what to do with your evening (fifty-year-old drunken idiot aside).
Old 01-17-2010, 12:25 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

awesome, been looking for a setlist of theirs. I want to see them live really badly, why haven't they embarked on a tour yet??

They should have played "supercell" too, as well as "widowmaker"
Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
awesome, been looking for a setlist of theirs. I want to see them live really badly, why haven't they embarked on a tour yet??

They should have played "supercell" too, as well as "widowmaker"
Dude, they just got home from a huge national tour.

And yeah, that's the other one I would have added. Those two songs are the fucking SHIT. And maybe it woulda been nice to throw out a MOTA song for the old-school fans, but that's probably too much to ask.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:28 PM

wow...did they come to Atlanta? (if you know)
Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
wow...did they come to Atlanta? (if you know)
Hmm, I'm not sure. I checked their site but the dates aren't up anymore. But I wouldn't worry about it, that was their first tour, they'll do plenty more.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Yeah, they definitely will. didn't they open for Isis or something on their last tour?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they definitely will. didn't they open for Isis or something on their last tour?
Nah, the only US Isis tour that has happened while SBL has existed was with Pelican and Keelhaul. I think SBL headlined over a couple of similar bands.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:40 PM

ooh nice. thanks for the info

Tags
struck by lightning