Warped Tour -- Mansfield, MA -- July 10th, 2014
Metallica -- Warsaw, Poland -- July 11th, 2014
Snakecharmer -- London, England -- July 11th, 2014
Aerosmith -- Wantagh, NY -- July 10th, 2014
311 -- Lansing, MI -- July 9th, 2014

Old 01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
That Guy

Arsis- Starve For The Devil

Anyone else have a chance to check this one out yet?

To me it kinda feels like they are going in the direction of Death, where they started off brutal, and album by album getting a bit more progressive and dare I say, lighter. The lead track, Forced To Rock, really took me by surprise. Its the only song I ever heard from them where it sounds like they were forced to make a single for MTV.

So far the standout track to me Is Closer To Cold. I'm really digging this one a lot. Reminds me a lot of old school Tech. Death.

But overall, I'm digging it so far. It really feels upbeat, thrash and proggy. My favorite is still We Are The Nightmare but Starve For The Devil is definitely a kickass album. It's just....different.

Last edited by MPF; 01-15-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I was planning on listening to this later tonight. I loved Beyond Forlorn, but I hated Forced to Rock. I don't think they'll ever go back to Celebration of Guilt level again though...
Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 PM
That Guy

Yeah Forced to Rock did rub me the wrong way. I suppose it could be like their Enter Sandman, where it could lead in to the band for people who don't about them, but that's about it.

Beyond Forlorn is also another great track.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I'll probably pick it up if I can find it, but I'm not expecting anything nearly as good as ACOG.
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/31 - Warped
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Its the only song I ever heard from them where it sounds like they were forced to make a single for MTV.
THAT'S what was bugging me about it! I mean, I kind of like it, but it something just felt off. I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Admittedly, I feel similarly about Beyond Forlorn - something is either missing or off or whatever. I like the solo, but the rest of the song... hrmmmmm...

I'll definitely still be grabbing the album, though. I thought it was due out in February?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyck View Post
THAT'S what was bugging me about it! I mean, I kind of like it, but it something just felt off. I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Admittedly, I feel similarly about Beyond Forlorn - something is either missing or off or whatever. I like the solo, but the rest of the song... hrmmmmm...

I'll definitely still be grabbing the album, though. I thought it was due out in February?
Youtube!

*Or other ways if you're into that*
Old 01-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Youtube!

*Or other ways if you're into that*
Hah - you're too S-M-R-T for me, man. I hadn't even checked there
Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I'm finishing up my first listen now, and I think it only really starts to get good beginning with Beyond Forlorn, then finishes well. As of right now, I see this as Arsis' worst album, but still a good album none the less. I'm neither dissapointed not impressed, I sorta got what I was expecting. I'm going to listen to this for another week or so, hope I hear something I didn't hear this time.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 PM
That Guy

I gave it another full listen. Closer To Cold is still my favorite track on it.

I still have the same opinion about it I had before, it's good, just different. Maybe after a few more spins, I might love this album, or more then likely, I'll stick with traditional Arsis. But I gotta say it again, I LOVE Closer To Cold.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I don't know guys, I think it kinda rocks. It's different - I'll give you that. I call it "Arsis's Tribute to Thrash"...it's very much a thrash album in many places (especially the tracks you guys had mixed feeling about, like "Forced to Rock"), but you have to admit - nobody makes thrash sound like this except Arsis. This is technical thrash - if there is such a thing (well if there wasn't - there is now!).

At first, I liked "Beyond Forlorn" but hated "Forced to Rock", same as idrinkwine732, when Arsis had posted them on their MySpace page. Now, not only has the thrash aspect of the album grown on me, but so has "Forced to Rock". It sounds like something Exodus would do (back in the day - not in recent years).

There's just something about Arsis - and James Malone in particular - that alows them to make very technical music that has a real flow to it...it's a pretty rare thing, really. Necrophagist has it, too. Origin...somewhat (the awesome riffs save them from mediocrity, not necessarily a sense of flow).

I think it's a really good album - one I expect some Arsis fans to have some difficulty with, admittedly - but a very good album nevertheless. One of Arsis's worst? I don't know about that. I would have to listen more. Even if it is, they only have a limited amount of material to compare to anyway, and so far I would say they haven't released anything that even comes close to sucking, so fuckin' yay Arsis.

The Nat

Last edited by Natrlhi; 02-04-2010 at 09:19 AM.