Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014

Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Indifferent Avatar

I finally caved and saw it last night. Good things first: Yes, the visuals and effects were stunning and very impressive. The 3D was okay, though I think it could have been a bit more subtle in some places. It may be that I'm just not that into the whole 3D thing to begin with, though. From the movies I've seen that featured it, it didn't really add anything. One thing's for sure: this movie is definitely a game-changer in terms of how movies get made from now on. I appreciated the fact that not much time is wasted with explanation in the beginning (I really hate when movies do that). Also, all the various animals and creatures that inhabited the planet were damn cool (though some of the noises they made were blatantly copied and pasted from Jurassic Park).

Now the bad stuff. The story is predicatable, derivative tripe that would barely pass for an animated Disney movie (and in fact, it rips off several of those). The overall message is delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face, and most of the acting is mediocre at best (Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver are two notable exceptions). The main villain is so cartoonishly evil (especially towards the end) that I mostly laughed any time he was on screen. Finally, there's the whole "white guilt" subtext to the plot, which I found extremely annoying. The poor natives are helpless against their oppressors until the valiant white guy comes along to save them all. Ugh, spare me. Not only is it insulting, it's all been done a million times.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I finally caved and saw it last night. Good things first: Yes, the visuals and effects were stunning and very impressive. The 3D was okay, though I think it could have been a bit more subtle in some places. It may be that I'm just not that into the whole 3D thing to begin with, though. From the movies I've seen that featured it, it didn't really add anything. One thing's for sure: this movie is definitely a game-changer in terms of how movies get made from now on. I appreciated the fact that not much time is wasted with explanation in the beginning (I really hate when movies do that). Also, all the various animals and creatures that inhabited the planet were damn cool (though some of the noises they made were blatantly copied and pasted from Jurassic Park).

Now the bad stuff. The story is predicatable, derivative tripe that would barely pass for an animated Disney movie (and in fact, it rips off several of those). The overall message is delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face, and most of the acting is mediocre at best (Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver are two notable exceptions). The main villain is so cartoonishly evil (especially towards the end) that I mostly laughed any time he was on screen. Finally, there's the whole "white guilt" subtext to the plot, which I found extremely annoying. The poor natives are helpless against their oppressors until the valiant white guy comes along to save them all. Ugh, spare me. Not only is it insulting, it's all been done a million times.
All of these reasons are why I'm not going to see it, even the things you can vaguely construe as positive.

And to those who want to jerk off all over the CGI, never, ever forget that as soon as Yoda stopped being a puppet the movies started sucking. Correlation or causation? Who's to say?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Also, there wasn't nearly enough Michelle Rodriguez hotness.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

i really think the racism was unintentional and that people are just looking for a reason to bitch. if he was a black actor would that make things better? if so then that in itself is just racism. if it werent for a human going over to their side i doubt the aliens wouldve stood much chance against a more technologically advanced enemy that they knew nothing about. it wasnt racism, it was tactics.

also, this movie is was already made and was called fern gully, which was better because it had robin williams as an insane bat.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Yes, they could have used a black, Asian, Hispanic, or other minority actor for the role. But they didn't.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Quote:
Yes, they could have used a black, Asian, Hispanic, or other minority actor for the role. But they didn't.
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If they had used a black guy, they favor the black people. If they pick a Hispanic person, same thing.

If you use that argument, ANYTHING can be classified as racism. Jesus, who the fuck cares if he was white or brown or yellow. Christ, give it a rest.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
theres many reasons the guy got the role. budget, connections, acting capability... but i doubt james cameron would go out of his way to try and put some racial undertones in his movies. i mean he's not spielberg or michael bay.

btw the jurassic park sound effects thing annoys me too. god knows how many times ive heard that t-rex growl being recycled.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:06 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
American movie.
America is 74% white.
If there is no racism involved, there should be a 74% probability of the guy being white*.
The only thing that bothers me is if the whole CAST of a movie is white (or mostly white when the setting is more urban).

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty decent 3D remake of Pocahontas*. Visual effects really weren't that great, and the movie started about 30 potentially interesting threads of direction, but pursued just about none of them. It was merely decent...

*besides, john smith was white in the original why would they change that
Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Here are my thoughts on this movie:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com...ws/15043-ep036
Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Here are my thoughts on this movie:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com...ws/15043-ep036
That was by far the funniest thing that show has done so far.