Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

It isn't about your age, the length of your hair, personal hygiene habits (or lack thereof), or the number of black T-shirts in your closet or CD's in your collection.

It's all about your attitude, and your love for the music.

...and when I say attitude, that doesn't necessarily mean disrespect for others, violence (although for the right kind of pits, the bigger, the better ), vulgar language or any other ugly, unkind or even sociopathic behavior. It doesn't mean acting like nobody else in the world matters except you. It doesn't mean trying to hurt people in pits, either with your words or with your bodies.

I am 38 years old, and my haircut is your basic "bald fade" (i.e., short on the top and almost down to the skin on the sides & back). I have zero piercings (although I used to have one that you couldn't see during normal daylight hours ), no tattoos, and I wear cargo shorts, New Balance cross-training shoes (sometimes work boots, but not often), a metal T-shirt and maybe a bandanna on my head at shows. That's it. Most younger folks tend to look at me like I'm probably a "poser", but little do they know that it's my generation of metalheads who invented that word.

We walked around town with our ghettoblasters jamming Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Accept in the early days, and then later, Slayer, Metallica and Destruction. We went to shows featuring national acts at small venues for five bucks. We traded bootleg cassette tapes of our favorite bands, because there was no file sharing (or even an Internet to speak of). We moshed hard, and stage-dived often, but if someone hit the ground, he (or she) was pulled up by a half-dozen hands before he (or she) even knew what happened. Every time. People got hurt in pits occasionally, but it was almost always accidental. When it wasn't, the offending party was usually issued some swift pit-justice by the witnesses or kicked out of the show (sometimes both).

I've been at this lifestyle for a very long time, and I am and always will be metal to the core, but you would never know it by looking at me in my everyday environment, and you might even doubt it at first if you saw me at a show.

...but it's in my blood, and in my attitude. At the end of the day, that's the only place it really matters.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-11-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I am and always will be metal to the core
poor choice of words.
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
poor choice of words.
Meaning it reads as if I like only metalcore? Pssshhh. I think it's self-explanatory that this is not the case.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-11-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Meaning it reads as if I like only metalcore? Pssshhh. I think it's self-explanatory that this is not the case.
I know, hehe.
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
Interestingly enough, there was a poll done on Iron Maiden's forum asking how old fans were and the highest percentage was 13-17.
Ah brings back memories of being on the IMBB years ago, when all of us that came here from there were all 13-17.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
Interestingly enough, there was a poll done on Iron Maiden's forum asking how old fans were and the highest percentage was 13-17.
Maybe on the free forum, but I doubt that would be the case on the fan club forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Ah brings back memories of being on the IMBB years ago, when all of us that came here from there were all 13-17.
I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganarchy View Post
haha I'm getting a lot of replies to my posts. Look, I was just generalizing about the 'teenagers only like metalcore/deathcore" comment. And as for the long hair, I don't think you have to long hair to be a real metalhead. I don't have long hair. I usually see a lot of long-haired guys at shows, though.

and I'm not trying to be a bitch about the pits or whatever. Violent pits are good. I'm just expressing my annoyance at most teenagers not picking others up.

I've got a quote for you from one of the kids at my school. He likes a couple metal bands, like Metallica, Mastodon, and Killswitch Engage. Anyways, today he was laughing at me for having fallen in the pit. Then when I told him people usually pick others up, he said:

"You're supposed to beat the crap out of somebody and leave him lying there."

I don't think he's ever been to a show, though.
agreed most teens in the pits are assholes. i always fuck with those kids in the pit if i see them being dicks.

and also agreed you don't need long hair or even need to look metal to be a metalhead. i'm 18, i have spiked hair, i'm sorta muscular, likes wearing fresh clothes, somewhat dark skinned, and people have viewed me as a poser thinking i know nothing about metal just cuz of my appearance which is fucking stupid. just 'cause i don't look like the average caucasian skinny or very fat metalhead with long brown hair with a very old band tee constantly talking about metal bands doesn't mean i'm not a metalhead. i'm a metalhead at heart even though i don't dress like it much anymore. if i see someone someone fall down in a pit i'll immediately pick them up. and i'm never looking to start any shit, unless a kid gives me shit i'll definently give them shit back.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

Well I wear fucking tutus to shows and dance my way in with sparkles flying out of my ass. But that doesn't mean that I'm not metal.

Okay, that was stupid, but face it, there are a few metal "looks" that are going to classify you, and if you rebel against the stereotypes, you just might have to deal with the shit you get.

If you're not wearing a band or at least a black T-shirt (from the current show or not), then I'm going to assume that you're at your first show. If I come up to you and you don't know a damn thing about said T-shirt band's music, I am going to think you're a douchebag. To a lesser extent, if you have visible tattoos, I'm going to think you're more metal than I am (what I might think of your intelligence based on whatever said tat is is a different story). And, if you're either bald or have long hair, I'm also going to think that you're more metal than me.

That being said, I classify as few of the above, but I'm still more likely to think that the "Band shirted, tattooed, long-haired dude" is still more metal than the the opposite.

~waits to get killed by the masses~
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM

well i always wear band tees, but not old ones from a few yrs back, unless i'm at a show of course then it doesn't matter. i always know a lot about whatever band tee i'm wearing. i'll never buy a band tee if i'm not into them or only like a few songs. just saying i shouldn't have to dress metal to prove i'm metal. i really have a life outside metal. i'm 18, i party, go out a lot, etc. most of my friends i hang out don't even listen to metal. i wear band tees when i go out but only if it looks new still or at least somewhat new. if you're going to be actually going out (not talking about just hanging out with friends, i mean actually going out) in old faded band tees from years back, it looks kind of lame and even sometimes isolates yourself from meeting new people, unless they're also metalheads. i don't know where i'm going with this but i really don't think you need to prove you're metal by how you look. as long as you know you're a metalhead at heart, that's all really matters IMO.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Peace on earth sells... but who's buying?

I am the coolest

/thread

Tags
between the buried and me, cynic, devin townsend project, scale the summit