Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

  #21  
Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
es156's Avatar
es156 es156 is offline
Somewhere Back In Time
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I'm sorry, but every band, everywhere, regardless of genre or popular status, puts out a crap album once in a while...INCLUDING THE ALMIGHTY IRON MAIDEN (yeah, I said it).




Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
What I don't want to ever happen is to die from internal hemmorhaging because of the stick jammed up my ass.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 AM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Nope. And if it were country I'd like more of them. I hate pop, and I hate indie. Seriously. If no one ever made an indie song again I'd be very happy.
But Indie isn't really a genre. How can you hate something that doesn't even have like, a defined sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
OK, let me put it this way. I've noticed a pretty disturbing trend on this board over the last few months (and let's be honest...it's probably always been the case to one extent or the other), for people to notice the smallest defect in a group's output over a certain time period (Slayer and Metallica in the late 90's and early 00's, for example), and just pile on the collective bandwagon of ripping on them forver and ever, dismissing all the work that they did during said era and everything they will ever do again.
If you consider several albums that only range from bad to terrible in terms of quality to be a tiny defect, sure this makes sense. But honestly, Metallica have sucked since the early 90s, until Death Magnetic. The two or three good songs that they released over those 15 years does not in any way redeem them. Same goes for Slayer, except they haven't put out a single tolerable song since GHUA, and have no album since Seasons that doesn't suck as a whole. This is not the 'smallest defect'. It is not inaccurate to hate on these groups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I just think this is nothing but trend-following, close-minded nonsense. I'm sorry, but every band, everywhere, regardless of genre or popular status, puts out a crap album once in a while...INCLUDING THE ALMIGHTY IRON MAIDEN (yeah, I said it).
And this is just completely false, I mean come on, NPFTD (their worst) isn't a crap album just because it doesn't live up to Maiden's standards. There's more good songs on that album than Slayer's career since Seasons.

As for the rest of your post, I agree. It's worthwhile to be open minded about most things. However, I don't see the problem with accepting that some things just don't fit into your taste. I mean, I'll probably never be a Dream Theater fan, because I'm way more into songwriting than I am into technique .
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM
IrritatedTrout's Avatar
IrritatedTrout IrritatedTrout is offline
Not a number, I'm a free man
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,329
I've never understood how people who enjoy Slayer's old stuff don't enjoy Flesh Storm, freakin awesome track that really feels like vintage Slayer to me.
__________________
6/17 - Meshuggah
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
6/29 - Blaze Bayley - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-31-2009, 03:34 PM
xStructualDefect's Avatar
xStructualDefect xStructualDefect is offline
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I love the fuck out of metal. I always will. There's lots of stuff I don't like. I express that every once in a while - but I don't stand around being a Negative Nancy all the time becuase it makes people pay attention to me or think I'm smart. If I like a pop sog, I'll admit it - I've got nothing to hide. What I don't want to ever happen is to die from internal hemmorhaging because of the stick jammed up my ass.

I like to keep my options open - that way, I get to enjoy a whole lot more in life. That's all I'm saying.

The bottom line: Disagreeing with trends or the status quo every once in a while is fine, especially if you make good arguments. Being a negative bitch all the time because you think it makes you look cool or smart just makes you look like an ass.
all very well written good points. i agree with everything you just said. i feel the same way.
__________________
1.19 Nightwish
2.4 August Burns Red
2.13 Bodom
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
OK, let me put it this way. I've noticed a pretty disturbing trend on this board over the last few months (and let's be honest...it's probably always been the case to one extent or the other), for people to notice the smallest defect in a group's output over a certain time period (Slayer and Metallica in the late 90's and early 00's, for example), and just pile on the collective bandwagon of ripping on them forver and ever, dismissing all the work that they did during said era and everything they will ever do again.
I didn't read the rest of that post because the preface doesn't include me. Hope I didn't miss anything good.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-31-2009, 04:15 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
all very well written good points. i agree with everything you just said. i feel the same way.
I agree in principle, but the points are irrelevant here. Well, for me they are anyway. I didn't notice anyone else bellowing "if it's not metal it's not music" either, so I don't imagine anyone else found it relevant either.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I didn't read the rest of that post because the preface doesn't include me. Hope I didn't miss anything good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I agree in principle, but the points are irrelevant here. Well, for me they are anyway. I didn't notice anyone else bellowing "if it's not metal it's not music" either, so I don't imagine anyone else found it relevant either.
Dude, I am really disappointed in your responses here. You know damn well I wasn't trying to start a flame war with you here. You and I are both (well, I'm presuming for 50% of this statement, I guess) above crap like that. Just because I disagree with you a bit doesn't mean you have to start being a dismissive prick (and please don't insult my intelligence by trying to deny how snarky both of the quoted remarks were clearly intended to be). I really hope you don't decide to take this up the negativity ladder and start being an asshole to me, because I'd really like to be able to challenge your opinions once in a while in the future without having to be afraid that the argument will degenerate into an emotional bitchfest - but if you're not interested in that, I understand. I'll just be disappointed, is all. Your choice.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,574
Dude, you snapped and bitched about people thinking metal and Maiden were the centre of the music World when no one said anything of the kind.

Your first entrant into the discussion suggested... no, stated... that those of us who didn't rate more songs in the Top 1000 were somehow wrong and not broadened enough in music to possibly exclude such legendary bands from our reckoning. Those of us that bothered voicing an opinion had a basis for doing so that was both valid and reasoned. Or would have been if asked for. You can't make the first accusatory post of a discussion and then bitch if someone makes one in response.

And then, having made the first offensive, so to speak (too harsh a word, really, because it makes it sound like a fight, but accurate I suppose), your most recent post, like a lot of previous ones in other threads I might add, are attaching some kind of child-level status to the "target" (again, an overly abbrasive word, but fitting)? "Be about your childish little ways of you must, I thought more of you than that, but you're clearly not the reasoned adult I thought you were. " Really? That's the kind of language teachers use to confuse kids into feeling shame.

There are no doubt people here that your comments apply to entirely. The World is full of them, so there's bound to be a few here. But I see no evidence of such, and no one has tried to explain away their opinions on songs, bands or albums and given away such a stance. I definitely agree there are so people here on the "everything post Metallica sucks" and "everything post-South of Heaven sucks" bandwagons, and it could very well be they have genuine reasons for that (although I doubt it), but the rest of what you said is incredibly assuming, with no real grounds to do so.

All anyone has so far said is "It's not because they're not metal, but I don't like these songs, and they are not the best of all time", and there's really no arguing with that as point of view. To then tell us that we only feel that way because we think we're too cool to like pop music is more pretentious than anyone else has so far been.

Oh yeah, and GHUA is superb, so amen to that.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest

Last edited by ravenheart; 12-31-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,876
Sorry if you interpret some of my comments to you (or in other threads) as being condescending. That was never the intent. In fact, it would have made me a hypocrite, because that's one of the offenses I was kinda callling you out for myself (not trying to pour fuel on the fire here, merely stating my intent). If I appear condescending in other posts, hopefully it is with an air of humor to it, where the reader realizes I am being so pretentious that it is obviously all an act, totally put on, and not at all real. That's the only time I knowingly talk (or write, as it were) in that tone, and hopefully the irony is fairly obvious (at least most of the time).

To your point about making the first move, and then bitching that you had any retort whatsoever, come on. Do you really think that I expected to make a controversial post and then hear crickets chirping in the night? Of course you were going to respond, and of course you are welcome to, as long as you're not an asshole about it. Sarcasm is really counterproductive to a decent argument, and although it might make one appear witty to some, others such as myself just find it insulting. Better to argue with logic than with insults, wouldn't you agree?

Speaking of which, most of the facts you stated, I agree with (especially that GHUA is awesome - that is a fact ).
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-31-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008