Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Gideon -- Toledo, OH -- April 22nd, 2014
Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014
Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014

Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Headbanger

Everything happens for a reasonÖ I thought The System has Failed was the only Megadeth cd I didnít own so I checked a few places trying to get it cheap. What I didnít know is that I forgot about Warchest and when I saw a copy on Craigslist for $10, I went and got it 15 min later. Quite possibly the best $10 Iíve ever spent. The live tracks alone are worth $10, everything else is gravy.

So including live versions I have over half of this cd so I went on itunes and downloaded the other tunes minus the interlude songs. Wish I hadnít really.

Can anyone who voted TSHF over God Hates Us All explain why? Iím less interested in why not Slayer and why anyone would like TSHF so much? If youíre a guitar fan and love Satriani I might understand a little. Chris Poland returns and definitely shreds some solos. The song bashing Lars Ulrich looks great on paper but is almost unlistenable to me. Maybe I just donít get this era of Megadeth. I know this was Daveís 1st cd back from his hand injury but I have no problem with his playing but major problems with the songwriting. Kick the Chair has become a live staple and the only song I can say I honestly like on the cd. I hear some great solos in some really mediocre songs and that just doesnít do it for me.

God Hates Us All 3 songs in has already won this contest for me. Yeah there are some campy lyrics on here but there are some incredible lyrics also. I have the 2 bonus track version and like both songs better than some of the ďfillerĒ songs on here. This cd is 15 tracks and 10 or 11 are really entertaining songs. The vocals get to me a little and some of the slower tracks lose my interest but once again, this cd is better than I would have originally given it credit for. This was another Slayer slaughter for me. I can say that I might have Warchest rated over Soundtrack to the Apocalypse though. I HIGHLY recommend picking it up if you can find it cheap. Isnít it $60 at Best Buy?

Final Ratings:

The System Has Failed Ė 4.25
God Hates Us All (with Bonus Tracks) Ė 8.75

Bonus Rating: Warchest - 9.35
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 PM
N00B

1983 Show No Mercy vs. 1985 Killing is my Business

1985 Hell Awaits vs. 1986 Peace Sells

1987 Reign in Blood vs. 1988 So Far, So Good, So What

1988 South of Heaven vs. 1990 Rust in Peace Both are amazing, but Rust is a classic.

1990 Seasons in the Abyss vs. 1992 Countdown to Extinction

1994 Divine Intervention vs. 1994 Youthanasia

1996 Undisputed Attitude vs. 1997 Cryptic Writings

1998 Diabolus in Musica vs. 2001 The World Needs a Hero

2001 God Hates Us All vs. 2004 The System Has Failed

2006 Christ Illusion vs. 2007 United Abominations

2009 World Painted Blood vs. 2009 Endgame
Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Headbanger

I stand corrected. Megadeth The World Needs a Hero edges out Slayer - Diabolus in Musica making it a first in my reviews.

I have both Japanese versions of these cd's with bonus tracks so since this was my 1st close battle since Endgame vs. World Painted Blood I'm glad I could analyze these cd's down to every last track.

The World Needs a Hero is 13 tracks with the bonus track "Coming Home" slotted in the 3rd song slot just ahead of Moto Psycho. Interesting.

This was Dave's "comeback" cd after the aberration otherwise known as Risk which made me think Dave would never see another hard earned dollar out of my pocket. He was smart to release Moto Psycho in a video game and get it out there in commercials. He also released a "Greatest Hits" cd introducing the world to another of the best tracks Dread and the Fugitive Mind before TWNaH was released. I give him credit here and the album as a whole works well. There are still a few clunkers in here but this album was such a step up from Risk that it earns a solid rating.

I knew going in that Diabolus was probably Slayer's worst studio album and has always been my least played Slayer item of any kind. That being said I really like a few songs on here. The Japanese version with bonus tracks is also 13 tracks and oddly enough a bonus track "Wicked" is my favorite track on the cd. Coincidentally it's the only Slayer song Paul Bostaph gets writing credits on leading me to believe it was one of his songs. Bitter Peace is another great song that became a live staple and Stain of Mind was pretty solid as the only single released from this cd. My 2nd favorite track off this cd is In the Name of God. It's a simplistic Kerry King song but it just works for me and is a great sing-a-long driving song. Ironically I remember Tom Araya and King fighting over the inclusion of this song on the cd. Maybe it was to boost album sales at the time but my respect level for Kerry King went up a solid notch for sticking to his guns. I guess Tom got the last laugh since I'm almost positive this song has never been performed live but it's a fun song regardless.

Overall 2 solid cd's. Even Slayer's worst going up against one of Megadeth's better recent offerings was really close for me. I gotta give this one to Dave for manning up and growing hair back on his sack though.

Final Ratings:

The World Needs a Hero (with Bonus Track) - 7.35
Diabolus in Musica (with Bonus Tracks) - 7.00
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
Old 12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Peace on earth sells... but who's buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
The World Needs a Hero (with Bonus Track) - 7.35
Diabolus in Musica (with Bonus Tracks) - 7.00
I think we're missing the point.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I think we're missing the point.
On my initial post I honestly thought I would have every matchup rated in Slayer's favor. I'm listening to Cryptic Writings now and I'm thinking I might have 2 Megadeth's in a row so that's the revelation.

As far as the ratings go, I've now rated 4 Megadeth albums and would only recommend 2 of the 4 to even purchase. TWNaH would be 2nd to Endgame but still behind every Slayer I've reviewed except Diabolus.
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
Old 12-07-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Slayer.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Concert Veteran

Megadeth wins for me. It's biased though since i've never cared much for Slayer I repect what they've done for the genre and they do have some good songs and RIB is a very good album but i've tried to get into them and I just can't for some reason.

Megadeth has always been a band i've been into as far back as I can remember and will always have a special place with me.