Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I ended up listening to the whole thing twice and I revisited "When the Mountain Comes to Muhammad" a couple more times because I really liked that one. But yeah, it's probably not them, it's me.
Well, maybe - maybe not. What I was getting at is that I had the EXACT same reaction as you at first. I was underimpressed. The lack of hard-hitting crushers like "Death Rides a Horse" left me disappointed at first - definitely - and I didn't get an initial read on the "beautiful" songs (or parts of songs) as being all that impressive either. However, after forcing myself to really absorb this one - in large part thanks to my one-hour drive to and from work each day, where I get to listen to a lot of music, fortunately - I was able to really start appreciating it more. Hence my description of this album as a grower.

It still may not be "Enter" or "Station", but at the end of the day I am duly pleased with "Geneva" - and maybe more importantly for me, I can see now that they haven't "lost their edge" or anything like that.