Summer Slaughter -- Knoxville, TN -- July 31st, 2014
Lich King -- Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014

Old 10-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Kneeling Whaler

Mastodon -- Hamburg, NY -- October 24th, 2009

First time seeing a show in up-state New York, a borough which is situated in the shadows of the city of Buffalo... Usually a Pittsburgh native like the author of this thread would go to Cleveland or Baltimore for out-of-town shows, but this one was conveniently on a Saturday, so there I go. This was held at what looked to be a rather large ampitheater type of place incorporated into a local fairground. The atmosphere was that of a festival with Brutal Legend arcade machines and whatnot, and could've easily been promoted as one.

Nevertheless, on to the bands... High On Fire stole the show in my mind for what they did with the 30 minutes they were granted for their respective set. Matt Pike is simply the man, and the band were mad tight jamming it up to their goody tunes with very minimal breaks in between songs, which definitely kept the momentum on high. They wasted very little tiamat in bringing the heavy metal. Mastodon's WikiPedia entry states that Mastodon itself was formed at a High On Fire show, which I find to be most interesting. The set:

Fury Whip
Blood From Zion
Cometh Down Hessian
Waste Of Tiamat
Frost Hammer
Rumors Of War

It was time for Mastodon to take the stage, crack the skye and set the wolf loose upon the thousands strong in Buffalo. This was my first time seeing these guys and seeing as the new album was in essence very different from the majority of their other works may have misled me somewhat as the performance of Crack The Skye was rather in the fashion of a jam. There wasn't very much movement going on for the duration of their performance. However, the translation of the album into a live performance was virtually flawless and definitely satisfied the reporter. The second set, although short, put the icing on the cake for their performance. And apparently some people must've gotten a little wasted, because by the end of their performance, security was carting a couple people out. Oh, what a time the 70s must have been.

Oblivion
Divinations
Quintessence
The Czar (with astral psychedelic keyboard interlude, clapping and head-punching)
Ghost Of Karelia
Crack The Skye (with sound Scott Kelly impersonation)
The Last Baron

-Small intermission with some more droning psychedelia-

Circle Of Cysquatch
Aqua Dementia
Where Strides The Behemoth/Mother Puncher
The Bit

Dethklok ran a few "backstage" bits prior to their performance, and I proceeded to chill in the back for their performance. Gene Hoglan's magic tricks on the drums were the only dynamic of their performance that really did anything for me. Never was a fully-fledged Dethklok fan, but I didn't mind their performance, and in the end got a good money's worth out of the epic journey. Set was the same as they've been doing.

Last edited by BlackmoreOfBowling; 03-19-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

This ends all hope for them shaking up the setlist huh?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
This ends all hope for them shaking up the setlist huh?
Yeah, I guess it does. I was hoping that The Bit wouldn't close out the show for the whole tour.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM
N00B

Converge is a legitimately good and heavy band, so whether they are "metal" or not is a moot point. This is a solid lineup all-around, and I look forward to seeing it on Halloween.

Last edited by maveboggz; 10-26-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeiselman View Post
Yeah, I guess it does. I was hoping that The Bit wouldn't close out the show for the whole tour.
Still haven't seen Blood and Thunder yet, but I've gotten March of the Fire Ants, which is good enough for now. I'd have thought theyd play Blood and Thunder in the soon to be 3 times I've seen em.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

I could care less about Blood and Thunder, even though this is starting to neglect it, but The Bit really shouldn't be in there.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 PM
epidemic

mastodon have been playing blood and thunder almost every tour since 2004. that song is really played out. they soon play the other songs in their catalog that never see the light of day. like naked burn, ive never really heard of them playing it. not on any of the tour ive seen anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeiselman View Post
i actually glad the have the bit in the set.

it hasnt been a regular since like 04!

i cant wait for 11/05. always nice to get the hometown show!!

Tags
dethklok, high on fire, mastodon