The Spirit Carries On
As I Am
-----
The Count of Tuscany
25-27 Jun: Graspop?
5-7 Aug: Wacken Open Air
Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 AM
the wicked path

for everyone going NO IMAGES THAT IS BOLLOCKS i'd like to add go see the band they are sexy even without images songs in the setlist.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altmer7989 View Post
for everyone going NO IMAGES THAT IS BOLLOCKS i'd like to add go see the band they are sexy even without images songs in the setlist.
I'm one of those people who complains about them not including something off I&W at each show I will respond with a argument as to why it's bullshit when they ignore that album.

First with the exception of Lebrie's voice sometimes be questionable now i've never questioned their ability to be able to put on a good live show. Them not doing anything off I&W doesn't take away form how good they play live. It's their best selling album and one of the finest recordings in the prog metal genre ever and it's also largely responsible for them having the dedicated fanbase that they have. So there it's just rediculous that they ignore it.

I'll give a few examples of why I think this is crap. I'm going to see AC/DC tonight and imagine if they didn't do anything off Back In Black? While I&W has not sold anywhere near the ammount that BIB has it's largely responsible for the fanbase DT has much the same why that BIB is responsible for AC/DC's fanbase. What if Maiden did nothing off Number Of The Beast? I'm not sure how big a fan you are of either of these bands but wouldn't you cry Bullshit if AC/DC or Maiden ignored those albums live. I know I would.

Does Metallica ignore MOP live? They always make sure at least the title track is in the set every night. That album was their big breakthrough and they make sure they include it because these bands think more of their fans than DT does. I don't care what they say in interviews but when you ignore your biggest album at a decent ammount of shows you're telling you fanbase "Fuck you, we've got your money and since you think we walk on water you'll buy whatever we play live regaurdless of how crappy the song selection maybe half the time"

I know this is harsh but it's just how I feel about DT right now. I think they've really lost touch with the fanbase. While musically they're still above everyone else(except Rush) they need to realise that changing the set every night is cool but you can't completely omit the album that made you what you are today.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:43 PM
the wicked path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
I'm one of those people who complains about them not including something off I&W at each show I will respond with a argument as to why it's bullshit when they ignore that album.

First with the exception of Lebrie's voice sometimes be questionable now i've never questioned their ability to be able to put on a good live show. Them not doing anything off I&W doesn't take away form how good they play live. It's their best selling album and one of the finest recordings in the prog metal genre ever and it's also largely responsible for them having the dedicated fanbase that they have. So there it's just rediculous that they ignore it.

I'll give a few examples of why I think this is crap. I'm going to see AC/DC tonight and imagine if they didn't do anything off Back In Black? While I&W has not sold anywhere near the ammount that BIB has it's largely responsible for the fanbase DT has much the same why that BIB is responsible for AC/DC's fanbase. What if Maiden did nothing off Number Of The Beast? I'm not sure how big a fan you are of either of these bands but wouldn't you cry Bullshit if AC/DC or Maiden ignored those albums live. I know I would.

Does Metallica ignore MOP live? They always make sure at least the title track is in the set every night. That album was their big breakthrough and they make sure they include it because these bands think more of their fans than DT does. I don't care what they say in interviews but when you ignore your biggest album at a decent ammount of shows you're telling you fanbase "Fuck you, we've got your money and since you think we walk on water you'll buy whatever we play live regaurdless of how crappy the song selection maybe half the time"

I know this is harsh but it's just how I feel about DT right now. I think they've really lost touch with the fanbase. While musically they're still above everyone else(except Rush) they need to realise that changing the set every night is cool but you can't completely omit the album that made you what you are today.
Look I agree I would love it if they played Metropolis every night but I respect that this band doesn't roll that way. I have been to four Dream Theater shows and I love that I haven't had a lot of repeat songs, but you have to realise how many DT fans go to multiple shows. I know representing Images is important and I'd rather they play Take The Time every night too but in a way I am not complaining because I am a fan of everything they released since Images and I love that I don't know what they'll play, even if that means they are going to ignore what my favourite DT album is. I want to hear their whole catalogue live and I can understand they want to switch sets because a) it keeps them on their toes and challenges them, which the band seems to like, and b) the fans eat up everything anyway. My girlfriend wanted Wither too but she didn't get that either. It's the way this band rolls.

Yeah I'd rather they only have one opening act and play for 2 hours so they could represent all their albums (well barring the debut maybe) but for the limited time they allot themselves on this tour I am really happy with the setlists. I have always wanted to hear As I Am or Spirit live; I can forgive them not playing Metropolis every night because I have already heard that one live. For me the thrill of not knowing what they will play is much more fun than having them repeat the same Images songs over again.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altmer7989 View Post
Look I agree I would love it if they played Metropolis every night but I respect that this band doesn't roll that way. I have been to four Dream Theater shows and I love that I haven't had a lot of repeat songs, but you have to realise how many DT fans go to multiple shows. I know representing Images is important and I'd rather they play Take The Time every night too but in a way I am not complaining because I am a fan of everything they released since Images and I love that I don't know what they'll play, even if that means they are going to ignore what my favourite DT album is. I want to hear their whole catalogue live and I can understand they want to switch sets because a) it keeps them on their toes and challenges them, which the band seems to like, and b) the fans eat up everything anyway. My girlfriend wanted Wither too but she didn't get that either. It's the way this band rolls.

Yeah I'd rather they only have one opening act and play for 2 hours so they could represent all their albums (well barring the debut maybe) but for the limited time they allot themselves on this tour I am really happy with the setlists. I have always wanted to hear As I Am or Spirit live; I can forgive them not playing Metropolis every night because I have already heard that one live. For me the thrill of not knowing what they will play is much more fun than having them repeat the same Images songs over again.
This, and I think you're forgetting that Stsmetic Chaos got them ALOT of coverage with the magazines and younger fans. I discovered them essentially through hearing Constant Motion on a Metal Hammer CD. Majority of the crowd at Wembley was, from what I could see, younger people, from 15-21, most wearing Systematic Chaos T shirts. I would LOVE to hear all of Images and Words, but due to the way their fan base has shifted and the coverage the last two albums have received they have to represent what these new younger fans will know, which is the newer stuff. And, alot of their fanbase are musicians, and as musicians, love and respect practically all Dream Theaters work, and since the Deluxe Edition of the new album came with a producer type program where you could mess with their recordings however you liked, and could do numerous things with any of the music tracks off the new album, I would say Dream Theater are VERY in touch with their fans, and they keep the musician in mind. They've nothing to prove, but their doing it anyway.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 PM
the wicked path

Yeah I think they are, my girlfriend saw them for the second time and she loved it (helps she ain't the biggest Images fan) regardless.

Remember the audience they play to; the audience is less likely to want to hear only Images songs on these tours. Too many dedicated fans and newbies.

Tags
dream theater