Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Kylesa -- Lawrence, KS -- October 10th, 2009

Lionize had to drop and the rest of the bands had shortened sets because of bad weather conditions to the west of Topeka. It was still a good concert, but would've been better with everything in its right place.

Opening the show was Wrath and Ruin. Last time I saw them was before the Impaled show last year, and somehow they went from a 3 piece to 5 members. And the easiest way to describe them is...well...Xasthur. They sound almost exactly like what Xasthur would sound like live. Keyboards and all. They sounded fine but unless the vocalist was shrieking, you couldn't hear them. Lots of their songs sounded similar, so maybe it's a good thing Malefic doesn't perform live? Not too bad. 5/10

Up next was Red Fang and besides checking some youtube videos on them, I really didn't know what to expect. They all have crazy facial hair (except for the drummer, kinda like how ZZ Top's drummer's last name is Beard yet he doesn't have one) and for the most part, they rocked. Some of their songs started to sound same-y after a while, but when they were good, they were really good. I would absolutely love to see them again. 7.5/10

Third time seeing Saviours, second time this year! We had to wait a while for them to get in, so we got a criminally short set. And by criminally short, I mean only about 4 or 5 songs. And what sucks is that they were really hitting their stride right as they ended. The duel guitar solos were still salivatingly good and they kicked it into overdrive several times. Lots of headbanging and moshing. (There were surprisingly few hipsters here! Awesome!) Really needed to be a longer set. 8/10

For months leading up to this concert, I was saying it'd be the heaviest show of the year. Did Kylesa deliver? Yes. Kind of. It wasn't as loud as I expected, but it was still very heavy. Some of the songs off of Static Tensions translate insanely well live, especially Said and Done and Unknown Awareness. We only got two encore songs, one from their first album (I'm guess it was either Testing The Good Of Man or Dream Of The Freedom To Come) and the Pink Floyd cover Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun. Which is the only time I would willingly listen to Pink Floyd. 8/10

Scapegoat
Insomnia For Months
Said And Done
Unknown Awareness
Running Red
Nature's Predators
Almost Lost
Only One
Perception
To Walk Alone
? (either Testing The Good Of MAn or Dream Of The Freedom To Come)
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (Pink Floyd cover)
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 PM
We're dying on the inside

The fact that you listen to Kylesa (and Mastodon, actually) is just a giant wtf for me considering some of your biases.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
The fact that you listen to Kylesa (and Mastodon, actually) is just a giant wtf for me considering some of your biases.
Never really listened to Mastodon until Crack the Skye came out. And I like a lot of metal people would call hipster! Boris is one of my favorite bands, after all.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 10-11-2009, 07:10 AM
(cool custom user title)

Good show.

I seen you quite a bit...you're kind of like that lonewolf dude. I stood practically right below you for a little bit.

And crusty kids make me lul.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunicipalWasted View Post
Good show.

I seen you quite a bit...you're kind of like that lonewolf dude. I stood practically right below you for a little bit.

And crusty kids make me lul.
wut?

And that kid with the Discharge patch has been at a lot of shows I've been to lately. He can be kind of a douche, but I'd honestly rather have them than hipsters or scene kids.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 AM
(cool custom user title)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
wut?

And that kid with the Discharge patch has been at a lot of shows I've been to lately. He can be kind of a douche, but I'd honestly rather have them than hipsters or scene kids.
You were like above the stairs on the railing to the left.

And yeah; punx over scene kids. Atleast their not the poser HT punks either.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Never really listened to Mastodon until Crack the Skye came out. And I like a lot of metal people would call hipster! Boris is one of my favorite bands, after all.
Why question the fact that he listens to Kylesa? - at least he does!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Sucks that you only got two encore songs. Typically they have been playing a few songs from the other albums after they get done with playing Static Tensions front to back - and *then* they play an encore to boot. You just got the encore, looks like.

Still, a bunch of good Kylesa is better than no Kylesa at all - especially if comes from their latest album (which should be in everyone's top ten, if not five ).

Doesn't their material translate well live, though?!? Especially the dual drummers - holy shit does that sound awesome. The added texture of having two humans (read: keeping very good time with each other, but still not playing EXACTLY the same) playing those killer drum parts just makes me fap. Plus, you get to see how effortlessly Laura does her outstanding work on stage. Chick rocks balls, and makes it look like it ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby. And then ya gots Phil off to the side doing his best John Baizley (only slightly less intense...). Pure awesomeness, this band. Even better live.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Yes, Static Tensions does translate awesomely live.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
(cool custom user title)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Sucks that you only got two encore songs. Typically they have been playing a few songs from the other albums after they get done with playing Static Tensions front to back - and *then* they play an encore to boot. You just got the encore, looks like.

Still, a bunch of good Kylesa is better than no Kylesa at all - especially if comes from their latest album (which should be in everyone's top ten, if not five ).

Doesn't their material translate well live, though?!? Especially the dual drummers - holy shit does that sound awesome. The added texture of having two humans (read: keeping very good time with each other, but still not playing EXACTLY the same) playing those killer drum parts just makes me fap. Plus, you get to see how effortlessly Laura does her outstanding work on stage. Chick rocks balls, and makes it look like it ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby. And then ya gots Phil off to the side doing his best John Baizley (only slightly less intense...). Pure awesomeness, this band. Even better live.

"Metal is proof that satan loves us and wants us to be happy"

Oh, thats the greatest thing I've heard in awhile

Tags
kylesa