Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 09-25-2009, 04:59 AM
Headbanger

Gojira -- Baltimore, MD -- September 22nd, 2009

Planned on getting to Ottobar after the "Special Guest" and right before Zoraoster. Stopped by Ritz Cabaret for some pre-gaming and was pretty impressed. It's become a lapdance place but you can still pull chicks out of there if you run game... and never get a lapdance.

Got there at 8:45 and Zoroaster were doing their last song. I dug the song until the end when they played a wall of distortion for the last 5 minutes. They could have squeezed in another song but chose to annoy the shit out of people instead. Mensa called and said get a clue. Not recommended because of that idocracy at the end.

Next up were Burst. Holy fukkin ball sacks! One of the most entertaining bands I've seen all year. Thanks Nat for the heads up on them. The dude sitting down didn't bother me at all. The fact he plays bare-footed bothered me a little but once they started playing I was in awe. The talent level of this band is off the charts and their cohesiveness in unmatched by 99% of the bands out there. I'm not kidding, they're incredible! You hear so many influences in their music from jazz to Steve Howe to Meshuggah. I hung with the singer Linus during Gojira beer runs and he was cool as hell. He seemed so happy to meet people and talk music. He did stress several times that he wasn't happy with them only getting 40 minutes on their 1st and last US tour and I couldn't blame him. I would have killed to see them play 20 more minutes. I think I have the setlist right but am still learning their music. I wasn't sure about the song that stops and starts several times but it was one of the highlights of the set along with Cripple God. Here's my best guess:

Burst

I hold Vertigo
Where the Wave Broke
Cripple God
Vortex
Silver Rain or We Are Dust (best guess)
I Exterminate The I

Next up was Gojira. By this time the place was kinda packed. The crowd went total apeshit during 4 songs and they were Oroborous, Backbone, Ocean Planet & Vacuity. Lizard Skin was heavy as hell and I thought Toxic sounded incredible live also. One of the best shows of the year and when you factor in $12 a ticket the best value show of the year by far. Ocean Planet was thunderous and made my night. Between the 2 drummers it was a clinic on the kits. Here's the setlist:

Gojira

Oroborous
The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
Backbone
Lizard Skin
Ocean Planet
The Art of Dying
Drum Solo
Remembrance
Flying Whales
Where Dragons Dwell

Stopped by Millstream Inn on the way home. By far the best strip club in MD if you're actually looking to meet girls. It's a mingling place and not a lapdance place for the most part. Every dollar is well spent there and the food is phenominal. If a show ends early I highly recommend popping by there for a nightcap. Great ending to a great night!
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 09-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned Asshole

Sounds amazing! And $12?? That's a steal!

Although I've never seen a band where somebody played sitting down, except for the drummer of course. Was there a specific reason why he couldn't stand, or is it just his choice?

Gojira set looks amazing! Except they need to play From the Sky hahaha
Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Headbanger

The guitarist has like 12 pedals set up in a "U" shape. Each pedal has at least 2 switches on it. It's crazy. I took a picture of it before they came out but my flash was being a bitch and it didn't turn out. He also sings a lot of vocal parts but it is weird to have a guy never stand up even during jamming sections. Talent-wise the guy is incredible. To be able to sing and play like that at the same time is sick but it's still weird at times.

After seeing them I can't really think of a better opening act for Gojira. The bands have similarities but are really different. Yeah $12 equates out to $4 to see Burst and $8 to see Gojira. In this day and age you can't beat that with a stick. I'll see if any of the pics turned out and post a few.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Glad you liked Burst - they are a seriously overlooked and underrated band in my not-so-humble opinion. I wish they had longer set times, too - but they are an opening act and not the headliner so I don't see how Linus could get upset about it. That looks like a pretty solid set list by both Burst and Gojira - which makes me jealous because my only hope of seeing Burst is 10/8 in Detroit, which doesn't have Gojira on the bill.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Headbanger

The pics kinda suck but it was a great night. Linus had some great banter with the crowd. His impression of drunk american guy yelling was fukkin hilarious! I was impressed that so many people knew they were breaking up and Linus kept just kept saying "hiatus" which is better than breaking up obviously.

Burst

Chryspy from Myza Tiva with Linus

Gojira Setlist

Gojira

Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
N00B

question

has anyone picked up any merch from the show??!?! i would like a price on shirts and hoodies?!?!? Pics would be a plus if ya dont have those thats fine but a price would be great
Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Headbanger

Everything was reasonable. I can't really remember prices because I was so enamored with Marco's paintings. I thought they just had the paintings intermingled to draw you over to the merch but apparently his paintings were for sale also.

Tags
burst, gojira, zoroaster