Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014
Destruction -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 14th, 2014
Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 AM
Headbanger

Metallica -- Baltimore, MD -- January 13th, 1985

Thanks to Sanitarium for mentioning setlist fm again. I’ve posted on there a few times and used them once or twice but didn’t know the setlists went back that far. This concert changed my life. It opened me up to so many bands and types of music and helped create the monster I am today. I apologize in advance for the diatribe but I’ve seen close to a thousand shows and this one is still Numero Uno for me. It was at a place in the middle of as shopping center called Coast to Coast which burned down about a year later.

At the time I heard about this show I was really into Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Accept, Triumph, Def Leppard, Queensryche & older stuff like AC/DC, Zeppelin and Rush. I was told by a friend that this is the heaviest show this town has ever seen and he gave me a cassette of No life til Leather to check out. At first listen it just didn’t compute. I was used to epic vocals and I just didn’t get it. After a few listens it started to sink in but not until we were riding to the show and my buddy threw in Ride the Lightning did it hit me. He FF’d through Fight Fire with Fire knowing we weren’t ready for that and went right to Ride the Lightning. WOW. Still wasn’t sold on the vocals but the music was great. Then For Whom the Bell Tolls kicked our ass. The vocals fit the music, the bass was incredible and I was instantly a fan. Fade to Black was the perfect song to be pulling up to the venue to. We got uberbaked and totally did a Wayne’s World to the ending of the song before falling out of the car and venturing in. These were the days of 21 and over shows so we all had fake ID’s and went up to the door. 4 of us got in and 1 guy who was using his brothers id got shot down. Dude had to spend the rest of the night in the car and as bad as I felt for him he gets props for not bitching and taking 1 for the team.

Wasp and Metallica had been co-headlining so we were hoping Metallica would play last but had no idea. The front of the stage was packed so we got the front spot on the side of the stage and waited for Armored Saint. Little did I know this spot would give me a birds eye view into the tenacity of Chris Holmes and Cliff Burton while watching the rest of the band and the crowd.

Armored Saint killed it. John Bush belted every word and we were in awe. Great stage presence and they were loud as hell. Their set to my best recollection was:

March of the Saint
Mutiny of the World
Stricken by Fate
Seducer
Can U Deliver
False Alarm
Mad House

After that we got some beers and were told Wasp were up next. Too cool. We fought to get our spot back and what happened next was like nothing I’d ever witnessed at a show. They opened with On Your Knees and instantly girls started taking their bras off and throwing them at the stage. I saw more boobs in 3 minutes than I had seen in my entire life up to that point. My jaw was on the stage and I was instantly a HUGE Wasp fan. Chris Holmes was a MONSTER and shredded right in front of us. I have a bootleg cassette version of this set so I know it’s right.

Wasp

On Your Knees
Hellion
The Flame
LOVE Machine
Sleeping in the Fire
Tormentor
School Daze
The Torture Never Stops
I Wanna Be Somebody
Fuck like a Beast

During Fuck like a Beast another bra shower happened and I couldn’t believe it. Being someone who owned the import version of Unleashed in the East with the 4 extra tracks I thought I was on top of everything cool musically and I was wrong. People were singing along to an incredible song that I had never heard or knew existed. It really blew my mind. Wasp ended and the bouncers walked off the stage with over 50 bras. We grabbed a couple of Long Island Iced Tea’s and got ready for what was to be the best set I had ever seen and possibly ever would see.

We were hoping the guitarist would be in front of us after hearing some of Kirk’s solos and little did we know the beastly display of bass playing we would soon see. Metallica came out and Cliff wreaked of cheeba. His entire aura stank and he slapped all our hands and you could smell it on your hands afterwards. Instantly I respected him and guzzled the rest of my drink. Then the shit hit the fan…

Metallica

Fight Fire With Fire
Ride The Lightning
Phantom Lord
The Four Horsemen
Cliff Burton Solo (This was as close to a religious experience that I had ever had up to this point in my life)
For Whom The Bell Tolls
No Remorse
The Call of Ktulu (Mind-blowing)
Seek & Destroy
Whiplash
Creeping Death
Kirk Solo
Metal Militia (with Metal up your Ass sing-a-long)

I still have the shirt and stub from the concert and smile very time I see them. I wasn’t ready for the mayhem of FFwF when it started but by the time Metal Militia kicked in I was addicted to speed metal. Metal Militia became my favorite song for at least 10 years even though I would never hear them play it again live. When James yelled during Whiplash “We’ll never stop, we’ll never quit, cuz YOU’RE Metallica” we believed it. If it wasn’t for this show I probably would have never become such a huge Slayer, Sadus, Vio-lence or Dark Angel fan.

On the ride home we listened to the 2nd side of the Ride the Lightning cassette and every song sounded incredible. Ktulu was EPIC! I went out and bought all 3 albums and the Fuck like a Beast and Creeeping Death EP’s the next day and the rest is history. I graduated from high school a few months later and lost touch with most of those guys but every once in a while I see one of the guys at a Ravens game and we always talk about that show. I remember it like it was yesterday…

R.I.P. Cliff Burton
February 10, 1962 – September 27, 1986
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Metallica worked hard to get where they are now, must've been a great experience.

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

That's a nice story, really cool man

It's such a shame Metallica are what they are now, after reading this I can't help but feel betrayed somehow
Old 09-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post

It's such a shame Metallica are what they are now, after reading this I can't help but feel betrayed somehow
I don't feel betrayed, man. Many people seem to agree with me.

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post

What do you mean by that? Selling tons of records, filling every venue they play in and making shit tons of money yeah it's a real shame where the guys in the band are now it must be so hard for them to get by Plus they brought metal to the masses and got a lot of people including myself into metal who otherwise may have never even given it a chance. Yeah both Loads weren't great and St. Anger was just awful but it doesn't take away from what they've done for the metal world.

I'm sure if someone could go back in time to this gig and tell the guys the type of success they were going to have they would've been estatic if they believed you of course. Where they are now is exactly where they wanted to be then. No band is in the music buisness because they wanna make great music they're in it to make money and you're mistaken if you believe anything else.

I would've loved to see this gig but I was only seven at the time and didn't know who Metallica was for another 3 years. Excellent review
Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Really good post, man. Classic gig report - nice.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I’ve seen close to a thousand shows
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
No band is in the music buisness because they wanna make great music they're in it to make money and you're mistaken if you believe anything else.
I find it really sad that you say that, honestly. That kind of mentality is just so narrow minded, I'm sorry. Maybe for Metallica, and for Gene Simmons, or whoever else, but not for every band, and certainly not for even 95% of bands out there.

And in regards to what they did for metal, I never said anything about that, and I think it's great what they did and I stand by that. Just post-Black Album is exactly the opposite of what they did for metal, so they're fucking black and white. It's as if they negated themselves as to how much they've embarrassed themselves, musically and as people.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:49 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
No band is in the music buisness because they wanna make great music they're in it to make money and you're mistaken if you believe anything else.

I agree its about money but it cant all be about money. If it was just for money I dont think so many metal bands would be as great as they are. And you cant tell if your band is going to be a great sucesses like metallica or if your going to be very underground dont successful bands make alot more money than underground.

It would be great to see that set.

Last edited by Indestructible; 09-30-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
D.B.B.

dude i wish i had a time machine so bad!!!

Tags
armored saint, metallica, w.a.s.p., wasp