Deafheaven -- Brooklyn, NY -- November 19, 2014
Judas Priest -- Broomfield, CO -- November 19th, 2014
Threshold -- Ludwigsburg, Germany -- November 11th, 2014
Raven -- Westland, MI -- November 18, 2014

Old 09-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Alright, I'm in pretty late here. Here's my in-depth account of Redemption's work:

Redemption (2003): Ray Alder only songs one song, the rest of the vocals are handled by Rick Mythiasan (Steel Prophet). His voice is definitely not for everyone. As mentioned, the lyrics are pretty hokey. Most of the songs are based on books, and the lyrics tend to be very "then this happened, and then this happened", sort of stuff. I really enjoy the suite of songs based on Stephen King's Desperation, but then again I love the book, so I'm probably biased. "Nocturnal" is a pretty solid song. Overall though, skip this. It's not bad, but you NEED the other two first.

The Fullness of Time (2005): By all accounts, this album is a masterpiece in my opinion, though not for the timid. In truth, you're getting five songs here, two of which are over 15 minutes in length. If you are a lyrics junkie, this is a must-have in my opinion, as it is the sole reason I hold Nick Van Dyk in the highest regard lyrically. The music and lyrics alike on this album are some of the most powerful and moving stuff I've ever heard. This band does emotional first-hand/real-life lyrics and music better than any other band out there. Start with this one.

The Origins of Ruin (2007): The album that "broke" the band, no question, and this certainly has its moments of brilliance (The Suffocating Silence, Memory, Fall on You), but overall I think it comes in a step below its predecessor. It's got all the same stuff going on more or less, the songs just don't do as much for me, plain and simple. This is still definitely worth picking up. If you're willing to buy 2 discs, get this in addition to The Fullness of Time.

The new one is due to hit us shortly (October 6th in the US), and I just got confirmation that my advance copy should be in my hands by this time next week. Once I give it a just amount of listening, I will certainly write an in-depth review and post it here. I'm easily expecting a top 5 album of the year. All-in-all I consider Redemption to be one of the best, most promising bands out there right now, and a strong case for why I'm starting to vastly prefer melodic/prog metal to power metal.
Thanks, that was very helpful. I do think I will skip the first release since I've not really cared for what I've heard from it.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Catch The Rainbow

So, On the Redemption site there is a link to get the new CD plust a t-shirt for $20 and can also get Fullness Of Time for $11. Seems like a deal to me!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Ordered the above mentioned stuff today! + Origins of Ruin

Last edited by Fe Maiden; 09-18-2009 at 02:07 PM.