King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

I still think any Gojira setlist looks empty without Ocean Planet.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Headbanger

Getting fired up for the Gojira show and just saw this. To Sirius, Ocean Planet or drum solo?

I don't how "godly" a drummer is, drum solo's are boring and self indulgant. What could he possibly do anything that hasn't been done a million times? To skip 2 of your best songs to play a solo is just a waste in my book.

That being said I'm really hoping they bring these songs back. It's great to have myspace and other vehicles to influence bands. You'd be surprised if you request a song or make a vaild point to play a song that they'll play it.

I realize it's not always the actual band members running the pages but it's usually someone close enough to the band to influence them. If I'm going out on a Tuesday to see them with openers I've never heard of, at least play your best shit.

Does anyone like Burst or Zoroaster or heard anything good about them?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Burst is a Swedish band (from Umea, where Meshuggah is from!) that plays what some would call metalcore, but I would argue against that label a little bit because it is just so proggy. It reminds me of Mastodon a great deal, but in my opinion they are almost better (just less popular).

Their 2008 album "Lazarus Bird" was my #2 pick out of eighty-something albums last year - it is phenomenal. Their 2006 album "Origo" was also incredible, IMHO. Unfortunately, familiarity withg their material would go a long way towards a great concert experience with these guys, and you don't have much time to listen up. I still think you may like them anyway, but you'd probably like them more if you were famiiar with the intricacies of their material - it is pretty complex and requires several listens to really appreciate (in my experience, anyway).

Here's the thing about this tour - it is Burst's first tour of the U.S., and unfortunately it looks like it is going to be their last - they have announced that they are breaking up (or going on "indefinite hiatus" or whatever) after this tour is finished. I know, other bands have said the same thing and gotten back together later - and I hope that this is what happens with Burst - but it is stil probably true that there will not be another chance to see them live any time soon - if ever - after this tour. What a shame.

I'm hoping to see them with Zoroaster in Detroit on October 8. Unfortunately, Gojira is not playing that date - and more's the pity, because I really want to see them live now that I've become a fan.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Nat

Last edited by Natrlhi; 09-14-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Getting fired up for the Gojira show and just saw this. To Sirius, Ocean Planet or drum solo?

I don't how "godly" a drummer is, drum solo's are boring and self indulgant. What could he possibly do anything that hasn't been done a million times? To skip 2 of your best songs to play a solo is just a waste in my book.

That being said I'm really hoping they bring these songs back. It's great to have myspace and other vehicles to influence bands. You'd be surprised if you request a song or make a vaild point to play a song that they'll play it.

I realize it's not always the actual band members running the pages but it's usually someone close enough to the band to influence them. If I'm going out on a Tuesday to see them with openers I've never heard of, at least play your best shit.

i see where your coming from but holy shit mario is like awesome dude ive seen a bunch of drum solos and they were all boring, but I feel like he really brings something new and interesting to the table.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:08 PM
None ov thy empty Gods shall ever stand above me

Tbh I don't really like Ocean Planet or To Sirius ... I think the only things this tour lacked was All The Tears and Remembrance. Anyway, it was an awesome show anyway Can't wait to see them with Lamb of God ! (and Met ... of course ...)
Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratt View Post
Tbh I don't really like Ocean Planet or To Sirius
Old 09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
None ov thy empty Gods shall ever stand above me

I'm not saying they are not nice ... I'm jsut saying I find All The Tears and Remembrance have a better score in the badass-o-meter
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Headbanger

Thanks Nat. I really appreciate it. I checked Burst out on youtube and they are bad f'n ass. A proggy Mastodon would be exactly how I would describe the 1st song I heard. It's funny that so many people give the guitarist shit for sitting down when he plays. The rest of the band has great presence so that wouldn't bother me personally. I'm definitely fired up to see them now after reading their blogs and knowing these are their last shows. I'm going to see if our local record store has any of their cd's.

My buddy described Zoroaster as old Clutch meets old Sabbath. Kinda Stoner Doom he said. This show is really shaping up after hearing from you guys. There is a 4th band listed as a "special guest" so who knows. Probably a local band but Ottobar has surprised me in the past so ya never know.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
I'm going to see if our local record store has any of their cd's.

My buddy described Zoroaster as old Clutch meets old Sabbath.
I recommend last year's "Lazarus Bird" and 2006's "Origo" (although all of their albums are good). If you happen to get both, play Origo first and then see if you can pick up on the musical growth from that album to Lazarus Bird. It was really obvious to me (although Origo was very good, and critically-acclaimed).

Their most famous track is probably "Where the Wave Broke", which is an absolute crusher. The highlight from Lazarus Bird is probably "(We Watched) The Silver Rain", although over half the tracks on the album qualify as highlights. "I Hold Vertigo" and "I Exterminate the I" are both phenomenal, as is "Cripple God".

Also, from what I have heard of Zoroaster, your friend is right. They seem to have very much of a stoner / doom sound. I seem to remember the tempos of the songs being a bit slow for my taste, but they are heavy. With the addition of Gojira for your show date (lucky bastard ), this should be an excellent show for you. Enjoy!

Last edited by Natrlhi; 09-15-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Headbanger

Yeah they had Lazarus Bird so I picked it up. Normally I wouldn't pay $14.99 for a cd but I knew the songs were all long and you're right I only had time to listen to the 1st 2 songs but they're both crushing! The guy at the record store recommended an earlier cd called Prey on Life also. He said you have to download their older stuff so I don't feel guilty since I bought what he even said is their Masterpiece. He said someone recently bought the import version of the other cd you mentioned Origo for $45 clams. They must have really loved Lazarus Bird I guess...

I'm psyched now. Thanks Bro!

Tags
gojira