Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 AM
the wicked path

I would represent them too; I'm just saying I can understand why they aren't doing it.

I think the short sets originate from the fact they are playing a package tour which starts really early. I think if they had a single opener they would play longer (and with longer sets like they had in Europe earlier this year, they don't skip Awake/Images).
25-27 Jun: Graspop?
5-7 Aug: Wacken Open Air
Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Concert Veteran

But this is a package tour with a two no name bands you shouldn't shorten your set to give time to bands people are probably not gonna care about. Everyone is there to see DT not these other bands play. Even ZPZ doesn't need all that time. If Frank was still alive i could accept it but his son is just cashing in off his dads name and shouldn't be given so much time.

It's not just DT i'm mad at it's all these other bands that are giving 90 minutes or less as a headliner now. Someone needs to step up and tell the promoters "that's not enough our fans deserve more" but until that happens were gonna continue to get these short ass sets from headliners and i for one am damn tired of that. Especially when bands who got the material to play longer and don't do it. I don't even go to as many shows now because of this. If i'm paying top dollar to see a band they better give me more than a 10 song headlining set. I know it's all about money but it's really cheating the fans when artists charge so much for shows and then just give you a short performance and leave. I just see that as a big "Fuck You" to your audience.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 08-24-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 PM
the wicked path

I'm European so it's slightly different here (we get Opeth, Unexpect and Bigelf), but I like these package tours: means I get to see a lot of bands I didn't see before. I don't need to hear Metropolis for the dozenth time from them, I like that they give other bands a shot. I think they are doing it to give those no-name bands a chance, show 'em off to the world, and make a package tour where you have more of them. I know the summer tours in the US are pretty ass that way, and I'd rather have DT play a slightly longer set, too, but it's not gonna happen with the DT song lengths. It's more of a moral thing; I think they will come back to play the US for a second leg with longer sets.

I wouldn't have paid for this lineup either; after PoS dropped off, that was the nail in the coffin for this tour.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altmer7989 View Post
I'm European so it's slightly different here (we get Opeth, Unexpect and Bigelf), but I like these package tours: means I get to see a lot of bands I didn't see before. I don't need to hear Metropolis for the dozenth time from them, I like that they give other bands a shot. I think they are doing it to give those no-name bands a chance, show 'em off to the world, and make a package tour where you have more of them. I know the summer tours in the US are pretty ass that way, and I'd rather have DT play a slightly longer set, too, but it's not gonna happen with the DT song lengths. It's more of a moral thing; I think they will come back to play the US for a second leg with longer sets.

I wouldn't have paid for this lineup either; after PoS dropped off, that was the nail in the coffin for this tour.
Yeah European audiences always seem to be luckier. Bands play over there way more often and some of them seem to play longer there as well. Maybe the curfews for venues are different here and YES i do wanna hear DT play Metropolis all the time what DT fan doesn't? With their song length longer sets are possible by simply going back to the "Evening With" format.

I do agree the advantage to package tours is the possibility of seeing multiple bands you like on one bill. But it's also it's downfall as well because you don't get to see bands who are perfectly able of putting on a quality length headline set do so a lot of the time. It was stated eariler in this thread that there are people going to see DT for the first time so there's gotta be certian songs that are staples in the set. How many people you think go to see DT and wanna hear PMU, Metropolis and Voices? I'm guessing just about all of the audience. How many do you think are saying when they go to a show right now "I really hope they do Sacrificed Sons and TDOE" probably not too many at all.

Sorry if i'm coming off like an ass on this thread but Portnoy should really know better when it comes to song selections for their shows
Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
the wicked path

I think TDEN is fine: it's off Scenes, and that is one of their most popular albums. I also think a lot of young kids haven't explored the back catalogue yet.

Tags
dream theater