Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 AM
N00B

Judas Priest -- San Antonio, TX -- July 25th, 2009

Ok here is my long babbling review of the show:

Judas Priest, White Snake– July 25, 2009 AT&T Center
British Steel 30th Anniversary Tour 2009

Judas Priest is old guys playing music for old guys. Lets face it this concert was full of a bunch of 30-40 year olds re-living their youth. In other words there were a lot of guys with grey hair at this concert (me included). Men outnumbered women 2 to 1. It is the first time I’ve seen the men bathroom line longer than the women bathroom line at the AT&T center.

To be honest, I was more of an Iron Maiden fan when I was younger. Judas Priest released their first album in 1974, so they were before my time. I bought” Defenders of the Faith” on cassette in the 80’s, but I didn’t really get into JP until recently. My JP music collection has grown through the years. I have picked up Hell Bent for Leather, Unleashed in the East, Point of Entry, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, and Turbo on Vinyl second hand through the years. I also got the Metalogy box and Painkiller on CD. My collection has grown, and so has my interest in JP. Now I will always see them if they stop in San Antonio.

I saw JP the last time they came touring on the Nostradamus Record. Last time they came to the now closed Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. I was kind of upset that the outdoor Verizon Amphitheater closed, so they had to change their show to the AT&T center. Now I am actually glad that the venue was changed. It was an outdoor venue, and in San Antonio it is 100 degrees everyday in the summer. That is not comfortable. This concert was very comfortable. This concert was in the air conditioned AT&T center. It was great not having a drop of sweat the whole concert! I felt really good, and I am not worn out like I usually feel after an outdoor concert.

These guys really rocked, and you can tell they have been doing this for 35 years. They play their instruments like professionals. They play so clean and accurate, it sounds like their album. Only a couple songs seemed to be played at a little faster tempo than their album. For example Freewheel Burning seemed to be played at a faster tempo than their album, but for the most part the songs were exactly like album tracks. This tour they played the album British Steel in its entirety. The first 9 songs were the British Steel album, and the last 7 songs were from other albums. Rob Halford seemed to start the show stiff. He wasn’t moving around much. I thought there was something wrong with him like he had arthritis, but eventually he started moving around the stage pretty fast. Maybe he just had to warm up. KK Downing and Glenn Tipton did a great job. They often met in the middle of the stage for guitar dueling during songs. I was sitting on the left-center of the stage in front of KK Downing and Rob Halford. Glenn Tipton and Ian Hill were on the right side of the stage. KK, Rob and Glenn moved around, but for some reason the bass player Ian Hill only stayed on right side of stage, and did not move around much. Yes they are old, and they are showing their ages on the face, but their age has not affected their ability to play instruments. Below is set from JP:

Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Breaking the Law
Grinder
United
You Don't Have to be Old to be Wise
Living After Midnight
The Rage
Steeler
The Ripper
Prophecy
Hell Patrol
Victim of Changes
Freewheel Burning
Diamonds and Rust
You've Got Another Thing Coming

I thought Whitesnake played really well. Their sound was also clear also. You can tell they have been playing forever because their sound was clear and accurate just like Judas Priest. I only have the album Slide It In by Whitesnake, so I am not that big of a fan, but I know their music from the radio and from videos I have seen. Their guitar players can really shred, and play accurate. Below is their setlist:

Bad Boys
Fool For Your Loving
Love Aint No Stranger
Slow And Easy
Lay Down Your Love
Guitar Solos
Crying In The Rain
Is This Love
Give Me All Your Love
Here I Go Again
Still Of The Night

I got pictures of the bands and merchandise table, so I'll try to load it later and link it to this thread.

Last edited by ross_r; 08-06-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 AM
N00B

great writeup - and great first post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

All I've heard is good things about this tour, I can't wait to finally see it myself in a few weeks.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
great writeup - and great first post
Ditto.

I will tell you if you like Priest and don't have Sad Wings of Destiny you'll want to pick that cd up immediately. Some of the best Priest songs are on that cd and even if you have live versions you'll want to hear the studio versions also. 2 of my 10 favorite Priest songs Deceiver and Island of Domination are on this cd. Rock on!

Tags
judas priest, whitesnake