Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Kneeling Whaler

Ratt -- Cheswick, PA -- July 26th, 2009

An obligatory hyperbole to start. Hair Metal is probably traditional heavy metal's weakest link. But I guess as those Monster Ballads commercials say, 'Every bad body has his soft spot'. This notion holds true to even myself. The first concert I ever attended pitted fellow Hair Metalists Def Leppard and Tesla on the bill back in 2005. Four years later, Ratt and Extreme (2 more of some of Hair Metal's finer acts) are announced in a venue 20 minutes from my humble abode at a location in the outskirts of Pittsburgh, and in very nice proximity to the PA Turnpike. I decided to give this one a shot, since it has been 4 years, and Bret Michaels was not in sight.

The actual venue itself ("The Ches-A-Rena") is a former Roller Rink turned Nightclub converted into concert club. Its location was difficult to immediately pinpoint; it is shaped like a Roller Rink, but the better part of it was plastered with a 'Goodwill' logo, referring to its location below the venue. After finally finding the place, I proceeded to stand in the line alongside the people I went with. This would go on for almost a couple hours, as the doors were delayed by an apparent generator blowout. Nuno Bettencourt would later reveal on stage that this led to a local opening band being forced to drop off, and almost leading to the entire show's cancellation, which was salvaged in the nick of time by both bands' road crew. A lot people are somewhat pissed during the waiting period, but shit happens, and we finally make it inside at 8:30. In contrast to most Metal shows I attend, there were a lot of older rockers in attendance for this show, which I admired. Virtually no scene kids made it a win!

20 minutes later, the sounds of drinking mark Extreme's stage intro. And they hit the stage with great intensity and never lost it throughout their performance. Nuno Bettencourt is the man, quite possibly second only to Paul Gilbert as far as Hair Metal guitar virtuosos go. Gary Cherone sounded fine, and everybody seemed to be OK with it as long as no Van Halen III songs were planned on being played (there were shouts for Van Halen from time to time, however). Extreme's bass player bears a striking resemblance to Opeth's new guitar player, Fredrik Akesson. The band brought out a cake and sang Happy Birthday to Gary in the middle of the set. They did the Michael Jackson cover at the end, but did not play 'Rock And Roll All Nite'. I managed to snag their abridged setlist for the gig.

Decadence Dance
It ('s A Monster)
Star (new song)
Rest In Peace
Am I Ever Gonna Change
Play With Me
More Than Words
Cupid's Dead
Take Us Alive
Hole Hearted
*Nuno Bettencourt solo*
Get The Funk Out
Wanna Be Startin' Something (MJ Cover)

After Extreme left, the crew pulled out 3 rugs, and taped them onto the stage. Those rugs really tied the room together, man. A roadie taped a Ratt setlist in between 2 of the stage monitors, fortunately, in plain sight of us at the guard rail. The person next to me pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down Ratt's abridged set for the night, and was kind enough to let me take a picture of his version of the set for me to transfer onto the intarwebz as we know it.. The actual picture will not be shared on this site because the handwriting did not come off well on my cellphone. After awhile, Ratt took the stage and sounded quite dignified playing their classics. Their newest guitar player, Carlos-something beared a striking resemblance to (and I'm not making this up) Marty Van Drunin. And in contrary to Aerosmith, they gave us their classic album ('Out of the Cellar') in its entirety. Their set went without flaw but with some compromise.

Tell The World
I Want A Woman
Lay It Down
You're In Love
Way Cool Jr.
Wanted Man
You're In Trouble
In Your Direction
She Wants Money
Lack Of Communication
Back For More
The Morning After
I'm Insane
Scene Of The Crime
Round And Round

'Nobody Rides For Free' and 'Body Talk' were scratched off the set due to the delays. A great show in all. And now to prepare for the almighty Slayer/Behemoth/Cannibal Corpse on Saturday.

Last edited by BlackmoreOfBowling; 07-27-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Who is this Extreme Ratt band? Are they like a new band or something? LOL I'm just bein stupid. Saw Ratt a few years ago and they still put on a fun show. Any show w/o scene kids is a def win!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Any show w/o scene kids is a def win!!!!
...I never thought of it that way. Man, I wish I would've gone to this tour now.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
...I never thought of it that way. Man, I wish I would've gone to this tour now.
Yea I would def would have went if it was near. Saw Ratt w/ Poison @ Sandstone on the lawn for $5 about 2 yrs ago. (I can show a stub if you don't believe the price ) I'm all about hitting up shows where it doesn't have to be all serious and brutal and stuff. Sometimes I enjoy just seein a fun show like that.

Plus a side note... why put Taking Back Sunday on your signature? LOL I'm just messin around.

Plus Blackmore not trying to be a dick about your post either. Just messin around is all.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 AM
N00B

RATT's newest guitarist is Carlos Cavazo (formally of Quiet Riot).
Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post
Those rugs really tied the room together, man.
11/19 - Onslaught
11/22 - Judas Priest
11/23 - Alice Cooper
Old 07-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Kneeling Whaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabstudio View Post
RATT's newest guitarist is Carlos Cavazo (formally of Quiet Riot).
Interesting! A little Wikipedia research reveals that he played on the classic 'Metal Health' album. He was in great form during the show, so I was not disappointed at all.

Tags
extreme, ratt