Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Neurosis -- Tucson, AZ -- October 18, 2014
The Empty Hearts -- Cranston, RI -- October 19th, 2014
King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post
Was there! Great show overall. To quote Ensiferum - "DA DA DA DA! DA DA DA DA!"
Yeah, that was awesome, too! Nice one.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 PM

I just heard from my brother that the Phantasy Theater - the venue where this show was held - has burned down. No kidding. He lives less than two blocks away from the venue, and he just informed me that they are gutting the place out right now as we speak.

Holy crap - that is the club where I saw my first many metal shows back in the day (Anthrax, Exodus, M.O.D., Slayer, Overkill, Motorhead, Death...the list goes on and on!). I am seriously bummed - that place was a historical landmark for yours truly.

Oh well...maybe the insurance money will allow them to rebuild it into an even better new joint - or maybe the ol' Phantasy is gone forever. Time will tell.

What a jacked-up turn of events...

Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
We're dying on the inside

I have never heard of the Phantasy Theater, haha. I thought Peabody's and the Grog Shop could handle all the not-quite arena metal shows in Cleveland.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:09 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

According to reports, the Phantasy was not really affected by the fire. It needs to be cleaned up a bit though. The fire started at The Attic next door.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovar View Post
According to reports, the Phantasy was not really affected by the fire. It needs to be cleaned up a bit though. The fire started at The Attic next door.
Yeah, I confirmed that last night. I drove by the place and looked inside (the doors were open because they were airing the place out and starting on rehab work already). It looks like there was some smoke damage (especially in the lobby of the theater), but it looks like the Phantasy will live to rock another day.

The guy who told me about this is sometimes known to exaggerate and make the worst out of situations. He must have read more into the article than what was really the case. In the end, I'm glad he was wrong, though.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I have never heard of the Phantasy Theater, haha. I thought Peabody's and the Grog Shop could handle all the not-quite arena metal shows in Cleveland.
You're pretty much correct. The Phantasy was a big deal back in the day, but it really hasn't been a mainstay venue like the Grog or Peabody's has been in the past couple of years. In fact, I hadn't been to the Phatasy in at least a decade until last Sunday. That's why the timing of this was so odd - it was almost as if the metal gods were telling me and my brother to go there one more time before it was gone (although that seems not to be the case now).

Anyway, there is also the Agora for larger shows. It is similar to the Phantasy, but bigger. Ministry and Meshuggah played there in 2008. Also, we have a House of Blues, which hosts metal shows from time to time. I've seen Behemoth there before (also in 2008, when they toured with Gojira and company). Clutch played there a few years ago, too. On an even bigger scale, there is also the Wolstein Center at CSU (where I have seen Tool, Isis and others) and of course Quicken Loans Arena (where Metallica is playing with Lame of God in October).

Last but not least, Cleveland has a couple of outdoor venues such as the Time Warner Cable Amphitheater and Nautica Stage in the flats (where shows such as Gigantour have taken place), and Blossom Music Center in nearby Richfield (the site of the Mayhem Festival in two weeks) to round out the possibilities for metal shows.

So as far as venues go, we are blessed. Now all we need are some consistently decent crowds to draw the freakin' artists in. This is becoming a big problem for me, because I go to shows and am psyched to be there, but it seems like the attendance / crowd reaction from other folks is sometimes sorely lacking. Isis got a good reception a few weeks ago at the Grog, and of course you know the crowd at Carcass (at Peabody's) was awesome, but last year's Made Out of Babies show at the Grog only had maybe thirty people in the audience. The crowds can be really spotty that way - that bugs me a little, because I don't want to see artists stop including Cleveland on their tours. The merch guy for Necrophagist told me last Sunday that "It looks like Drew Carey was wrong - Cleveland doesn't rock." I hate hearing stuff like that.

Nat

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-16-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 AM

Ya, same here.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

Anyway, there is also the Agora for larger shows. It is similar to the Phantasy, but bigger. Ministry and Meshuggah played there in 2008.
Speaking of the Agora, there's been like one show there all summer. I heard they were under new management, but they are getting NO shows. That's one of my favorite places. The Ministry show was the last I saw there. I assume the fact that there are so many venues to see a show now, some have to suffer...
Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
You're pretty much correct. The Phantasy was a big deal back in the day, but it really hasn't been a mainstay venue like the Grog or Peabody's has been in the past couple of years. In fact, I hadn't been to the Phatasy in at least a decade until last Sunday. That's why the timing of this was so odd - it was almost as if the metal gods were telling me and my brother to go there one more time before it was gone (although that seems not to be the case now).

Anyway, there is also the Agora for larger shows. It is similar to the Phantasy, but bigger. Ministry and Meshuggah played there in 2008. Also, we have a House of Blues, which hosts metal shows from time to time. I've seen Behemoth there before (also in 2008, when they toured with Gojira and company). Clutch played there a few years ago, too. On an even bigger scale, there is also the Wolstein Center at CSU (where I have seen Tool, Isis and others) and of course Quicken Loans Arena (where Metallica is playing with Lame of God in October).

Last but not least, Cleveland has a couple of outdoor venues such as the Time Warner Cable Amphitheater and Nautica Stage in the flats (where shows such as Gigantour have taken place), and Blossom Music Center in nearby Richfield (the site of the Mayhem Festival in two weeks) to round out the possibilities for metal shows.

So as far as venues go, we are blessed. Now all we need are some consistently decent crowds to draw the freakin' artists in. This is becoming a big problem for me, because I go to shows and am psyched to be there, but it seems like the attendance / crowd reaction from other folks is sometimes sorely lacking. Isis got a good reception a few weeks ago at the Grog, and of course you know the crowd at Carcass (at Peabody's) was awesome, but last year's Made Out of Babies show at the Grog only had maybe thirty people in the audience. The crowds can be really spotty that way - that bugs me a little, because I don't want to see artists stop including Cleveland on their tours. The merch guy for Necrophagist told me last Sunday that "It looks like Drew Carey was wrong - Cleveland doesn't rock." I hate hearing stuff like that.

Nat
Yeah, I think more tours hit Cleveland, but in my experience Cincinnati and Columbus both have nicer, better-run mid-level venues in Bogart's in Cincy and Newport Music Hall and the LC Pavilion in Cbus, but I wouldn't worry about bands skipping Cleveland. Sheer size of city dictates a lot of tours, and I think the Greater Cleveland area is bigger than Columbus, and certainly Cincy. And I'm moving to Indiana where NO bands come, so don't get too greedy.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yeah, I think more tours hit Cleveland, but in my experience Cincinnati and Columbus both have nicer, better-run mid-level venues in Bogart's in Cincy and Newport Music Hall and the LC Pavilion in Cbus, but I wouldn't worry about bands skipping Cleveland. Sheer size of city dictates a lot of tours, and I think the Greater Cleveland area is bigger than Columbus, and certainly Cincy. And I'm moving to Indiana where NO bands come, so don't get too greedy.
The thing I like is that most likely a tour is going to come within two and a half hours of Cleveland if it doesn't come to Cleveland (Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh) It's a great location for shows.

Tags
darkest hour, dying fetus, ensiferum, necrophagist, origin, summer slaughter