Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

im seeing killswitch on the 30th \
Old 07-08-2009, 11:24 AM
LET ME FIGHT YOUR BEARS

Killswitch Engage was very unlucky in that they peaked with their second album. Since AoJB, every album has been a noticible step down from the last album.

Keeping with tradition, KsE 2009 is, IMO, a clear step down from As Daylight Dies. There are no tracks that measure up to the sheer power of songs like This is Absolution, or the title track.

With that said, this IS NOT as bad as I expected.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Headbanger

Killswitch is a band that I really want to get into but they make it hard. I made a compilation cd of their best songs and it's a damn good cd. That being said they keep doing shit that makes me want to projectile vomit. I personally think ANY band that puts out a self titled album that isn't their 1st are fukkin assclowns. It's a total record company ploy and (using my favorite line from The Hangover) it's Paging Dr. Faggot-esque.

The cover of Holy Diver is horrific only to be outdone by the total joke of a video they created for the song. Please bury that song and video forever to regain some assemblance of credibility.

I totally agree that they should have evolved by now and I prefer the 1st singer even though Howard might be better technically. Last time I saw them live the 1 guitarist had his strap so high his guitar was at his chin and he did the worst Angus Young impression known to man. I'm all about having fun but he looks like a fukkin clown parading around like Bruno on crack. FAIL!

I don't know. I got into Killswitch and Shadows Fall around the same time and I much prefer Shadows Fall, especially live. Hopefully KSE drops the Holy Diver cover from their mayhem set and I can really get into them. I do give them credit for playing most of their best songs every show.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I personally think ANY band that puts out a self titled album that isn't their 1st are fukkin assclowns. It's a total record company ploy and (using my favorite line from The Hangover) it's Paging Dr. Faggot-esque.
Why...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Headbanger

It's just dumb and like I said it's a total ploy. Record companies started doing this to "re-invent" bands and take advantage of uninformed people. Killswitch now has 2 self titled cd's. Does anyone think that's cool? The new cd is actually being called self-titled 09. Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. If they called the cd KSE it would have been cooler. Anything but self titled #2.

I can't remember the 1st time a band did this but the record company actually said they did it as a ploy and it worked. Think of all the sheep who bought the black album thinking it was Metallica's 1st cd.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 PM
things are more than just what you see

I always thought artest made self titled albums for albums they really felt defined them. But that was just my impression, however I have no evidence to back that up, just an opinion.

on another note, I loved this album, I felt there wasn't a bad song on the entire album, and its great to listen to from beginning to end.
the title is a little lame yes.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Peter Gabriel released 4 self-titled albums in a row, and they were all good and not ploys.

Then again, he's always been better than KSE.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 PM
things are more than just what you see

didn't lead zepelin have a bunch of albums with just self titled albums and numbers after them?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Headbanger

Actually the only "untitled" Zeppelin album was known as 4 or Zoso so it wasn't actually a self titled album like their 1st album. They were going for the mystique factor and it worked.

I knew PG had an album they called PG2 or Scratch as it was referred to but didn't know he did more than that.

I know Heart did it as a ploy in 1990 trying to reinvent themselves but someone else did it before them and restarted the trend. I just can't remember who. I know Heart bragged about using it as a ploy in their behind the music show and they credited the record company.

In this case with KSE it makes zero sense to me.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Actually the only "untitled" Zeppelin album was known as 4 or Zoso so it wasn't actually a self titled album like their 1st album. They were going for the mystique factor and it worked.
Nope the first three were all called Led Zeppelin (I to III).