Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I hate the Nokia Theatre.
The sound there is good, but I feel like I'm walking into a mall and someone is trying to sell me something at a kiosk.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
The sound there is good, but I feel like I'm walking into a mall and someone is trying to sell me something at a kiosk.
Yeah, because of the sound, I'd definitely prefer it to something like Webster Hall (such shitty sound usually), but the environment there is pretty awful IMO. The only times where I didn't get slightly annoyed even once were at seated concerts there.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 AM
welp

Ehh, I love Nokia. I can understand the whole "walking into a mall" thing, but I personally like the fact that the place is pretty well kept.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

There are a few I like.

Dingwalls, which is in Camden, in London. It's really small, I think the capacity is about 300, but it's tiered. You can get an awesome view wherever you stand, no matter how tall you are (I'm short, so this is a winner with me).

Not been to a huge number of gigs there, but have seen Candlemass, Union and Evergrey there on separate occasions. The sound is always excellent.

Koko, also in Camden, London. Used to be the Camden Palace Theatre, so inside it looks a lot nicer than most gig venues I've been to. Three levels, each with various heights of standing area, and for some reason lounge areas out the back. Again, always a great view. Seen Celtic Frost, Paul Weller and Hammerfall there. Again, always great sound.

Also like the Shepherd's Bush Empire in Shepherd's Bush and used to like the Astoria in central London before it got closed down. Hammersmith Apollo is also usually pretty good, with good sound.

Of the large venues, the O2 Arena in North Greenwich, London is actually really good. They've done a great job with that place after the disaster that was the Milennium Dome. Obviously sitting at the back of the top tier is a pretty useless view, particularly in the end-stage set-up, but I saw Metallica play there twice in a centre-stage configuration and it was superb. I did have lower tier seats for those. And when I saw AC/DC there I had lower tier seats practically on the stage.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
MY LEG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
PNC Bank Arts Center
Agreed.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
N00B

Burnt Ramen in Richmond, I think they got shut down again though. It's just the best place to see any punk or metal show.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave View Post
What about the strict "no moshing or crowdsurfing" rule?
How is this a bad thing? I'd consider coming to Florida just to experience it.

Anyway
When it comes to big venues, I haven't been to THAT many, but most indoor arenas and semi-outdoor ampitheaters are pretty much all the same, more or less. I haven't found one I like any more or less than another.

When it comes to smaller venues, I have found far more bad ones than good ones. Crocodile Rock Cafe in Allentown, PA is probably my absolute least favorite, which is unfortunate being that it's the closest venue to me that will book "real" national touring acts on a regular basis. I've seen a few shows there that were solid (WASP, Yngwie Malmsteen), but but most of them are terrible. The headliner's sets get cut due to ridiculous overbooking, and the sound is just atrocious.
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Symphony X at Mulcahy's in Wantagh, NY last November, and The Silo in Reading, PA was also fantastic when I saw Firewind. Hell, the venue owner actually gave my friend and I a personal tour for showing up early. BB Kings in NYC can have an atmosphere which is fantastic for some shows, but overall the sound is pretty shitty and most of the venue staff are douches. I have no real problem with the Trocadero in Philly as a venue, but again, the staff sucks. I don't know why clubs hire completely douchey body-builder rejects who just try to intimidate the audience. Most people at the average show aren't out to cause trouble, and I think if the staff would just lighten up, there would be less drama in general. When I saw Edguy in 2007, a friend of mine was thrown out for trying to protect his girlfriend from a crowd-surfer. Shit like that is ridiculous. One thing I love about big venues like PNC or the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ is that the staff are usually actually nice people. Hell, when we saw Maiden in June '08 on the rail, we talked to the staff for a good hour before the show, really friendly guys.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Most rail security at big venues is contracted out, isn't it?

I really like The Rialto and The Rock here in Tucson. The Rialto is where most of the national touring acts (the ones that even bother coming here, that is) play. It was recently renovated, and it's really nice now. The Rock is a small club, and it usually doesn't have anyone good playing, but I've seen Rise Against, Against Me!, and Propagandhi there, and it's fantastic for seeing a good band in a small, intimate setting. Best of all, there's no security, so you can stand right up against the stage.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Burnt Ramen in Richmond, I think they got shut down again though. It's just the best place to see any punk or metal show.
Yeah, I believe they did.
For that environment I also enjoy Gilman.

The Warfield was pretty cool, but in a fucking terrible part of town.
The Fillmore is ok I guess, don't like the Grand Ballroom at all.
The Knitting Factory is nice, but I haven't been to many shows in SoCal so I can't really compare it.

I like the Catalyst a lot.

For big shores Shoreline.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I've always wanted to go to Gilman because of all the history. It's like the West Coast CBGBs.