Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014
Norma Jean -- Lansing, MI -- August 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Part 2:
Stormcrow were decent. I don't really know what to call their music, it was kinda like crust punk. I think one of the band members parents were in the crowd, because there were two normal looking senior citizens standing in the back watching and slowly nodding their heads to the beat. That was strange. To be honest after being scared to death by having this man: come at you with weapons that were sharp/on fire a typical punk/metal band is pretty boring. So I probably didn't give them a fair chance.

Sepsism. They were good. Apparently they almost exclusively played stuff from "the new album" except for one track which they haven't played in 10 years that they closed the set with. I didn't mind the new stuff, but the crowd wasn't too happy about it.

I like a lot of hardcore punk. Massgrave was more grind, but the crowd behaved in the same way I see in a lot of old videos from the 80's. It was insane. It wasn't the largest moshpit I've ever seen, but it may have been the craziest, there were people falling about everywhere and being flipped over and thrown into the air non stop. The only song I knew was Q:Landfill, A: Landfill!

Phobia were next. I love Phobia. For some reason I've never really listened to them enough to call myself a dedicated "fan", but both times I've seen them they have had better control of the crowd then any other band I've seen (of that genre). When they take the stage it seems like every single person is the worlds largest Phobia fan. They also have the largest number of random people grabbing the mic and singing the chorus to one of the many cookie cutter grind songs(I say that in the nicest way possible, its still great music). I can't really say more than they put on a great show. At one point some skinhead sang backing vocals, but I have no idea who he was. When Ultimate Suffering came up it was dedicated to Ghoul, and Shane told Sean to get up there and they both sang the song. That was cool, although it kinda ruined Ghoul's pretend anonymity. They pretty much stuck to the setlists I've seen/heard of in the last few years, except with the addition of Bloodsport, which was brought on by some guy yelling "blood sport, play fuckin BLOODSPORT, that song made me love Grindcore!!!" between every song until Shane said "You're pretty damn pushy. Fine. I know the song Bloodsport, (turns to band) Can you guys play it? (band nods) Alllrigghhht.....this one is called...uhhh....Bloodsport!"

It will take me a bit to write up Ghoul and General Surgery....so I'll leave that for a third part (tonight).

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 05-10-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Part 3:

Ghoul was up next. Ghoul is one of my favorite bands, but I had not seen them live. Ghoul was easily the best set of the night, and one of the best shows I have ever seen, even though it was only 40 minutes. They briefly opened up with Mr. Fang saying something about Swine Flu and throwing a "used" tissue into the crowd. Ghoul then took the stage and kicked into a new song, which at least for now was instrumental. Immediately the crowd surged forward to an extent I have only seen at a GWAR show (this rivals the last GWAR show I saw, it was that good). After that, they went into Numbskull. NUMBSKULL. That is definitely in my top 3 Ghoul songs, possibly #1, and I haven't seen any record of them playing it on recent tours. It was great. They then went into Bury the Hatchet, which happens to be my #1 on Splatterthrash. Awesome. The crowd went nuts on Splatterthrash, which was next, and probably the most chanted the entire time. Gorboar cam out ofter than, which was prefaced by an introduction by Digestor about how he knew who was giving everyone swine flu. Goreboar sprayed the crowd down with a water gun type device crudely labeled Swine Flu. After that Goreboar came back out, this time with a dildo between his legs which he began to rub, and Cremator made some joke about him being an actual swine. Digestor said "Shut up Cremator, rip his guts out so we can get into the song". And so his guts were removed. Then was Maxiaxe. After that some between song banter, and then Killbot came out and fought Ghoul and the crowd to Rise Killbot Rise (which sounded different since the distorted vocals were done in their entirety by Digestor), that was a blast. Then the classic Ghoul ending song, Graveyard mosh. I expected it to be over then, but no. Instead they launched into a cover of We're the Kids in America, which was ended by a chant of Kill the Kids in America.

Rotten Sound, Coffins, and Abscess are all a blur to me. I enjoyed all of them, but I was extremely tired after Ghoul (and hours of metal). I recall Abscess being funny and Coffins not being funny. Actually, I didn't like Coffins. I don't mind their studio stuff, but live, eh, not for me. I'd seen Rotten Sound Before, they were pretty much the same.

General Surgery. They were great. I spent most of the time half way back into the crowd watching and documenting, which is the only way I was able to get that set. They covered themselves in blood, had scantily clad women in nurse outfits throwing blood around, it was all fun. And they didn't take themselves to seriously. Some guy came up during the Repulsion cover, couldn't tell you who it was. They had a very triumphant end too.

After all of this, I (and my friends) were getting tired, and Dying Fetus aren't a band any of us were deterimined to see,and they'll be at Summer Slaughter, so we called it a night. Murderfest was awesome, I'll certianly go back next year.

EDIT: here is a video of CtP incase anyone wanted to witness it from the safety of your computer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqk6ZyCgOwc at second 51 he makes the bat attack.
Also, a ridiculous and dangerous stage show does not discredit the band musically. It wasn't bad.

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 05-10-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
(cool custom user title)

Call the Paramedics sound crazy, lol.

Tags
general surgery, ghoul, phobia