Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Lamb Of God -- Kansas City, MO -- April 29th, 2009

True metal police, just go ahead and ignore this review. Also, I didn't bother taking down sets because I seriously doubt they've changed over the other dates, so I'll be using those sets.

After standing in rain for almost an hour, I got into the venue which quickly filled to capacity. And we were in for a treat!

God Forbid was the first band to play and got a huge reaction. To be honest, there were some parts of their songs that were pretty good; had some good guitar solos too. But it relied way too much on the metalcore sound. The crowd ate it up, however. Pretty entertaining and loud.

Star Wars Intro
Antihero
War of Attrition
Empire of the Gun
End of the World
Force-Fed

The band I came to see, Municipal Waste, was up next. They were plagued with a weak sound, maybe in part because they were the only band on the bill tonight with only one guitarist? And the crowd was extremely unresponsive until about 3 songs in when Tony started joking around with the crowd. By the end of the set we got a pretty good circle pit going. Municipal Waste is thrash as hell, naysayers be damned. They were great, but they should get on a tour that would attract people that actually want to see them. I really, really look forward to them again. Great fun.

1.Sadistic Magician
2.The Thrashin Of The Christ
3.Headbanger Face Rip
4.(New Song)?
5.Mind Eraser
6.Terror Shark
7.Beer Pressure
8.Unleash The Bastards
9.Bangover

When I saw Children of Bodom back in September, they really surprised me by how much energy they had. That, and their goofy songs, made for one helluva show. However, Alexi Laiho was very stagnant and barely even moved away from the mic. Apparently four days ago, he fell off his bunk and broke his shoulder. He's been playing the shows since with a broken shoulder! That gives Alexi a pass for maybe flubbing some of the solos (which were still excellent by the way), but the sound mix for Bodom was horrid from where i was standing. Everything was muddled into eachother. By the time it seemed to fix itself, it was the lats song for them. An off night for Bodom. Good, but could've been a lot better. Gotta give props to Alexi, though.

1.Silent Night, Bodom Night
2.Hate Me!
3.Hellhounds On My Trail
4.Living Dead Beat
5.Angels Don't Kill
6.Bodom Beach Terror
7.In Your Face
8.Blooddrunk
9.Downfall

Now, this is where the true metal police would beat me. One of the best bands tonight was As I Lay Dying. Yes, you heard that right. They are metalcore, but they also add in elements of thrash and death and the vocalist isn't half-bad. They play kind of that old-school metalcore that actually uses breakdowns well (weird, right?) and they were by far the most energetic band of the night. Really good, and I'd like to see them again.

Separation
Through Struggle
Nothing Left
Forever
An Ocean Between Us
Empty Hearts
Within Destruction
Meaning In Tragedy
The Sound Of Truth
94 Hours
Confined

Lamb Of God got the hugest reaction of the night. The crowd loved them, and as much as I hate to say it, they are more than likely my generation's biggest metal band. In a few years, I wouldn't doubt they'll be headlining arena tours. Some of their songs had great hooks that really stuck with you (Set To Fail, Laid To Rest) but some of them just felt really same-y. The aggression with which the songs were fired, though, made up for it. Very impressive.

(The Passing)
In Your Words
Set to Fail
Walk with Me in Hell
Hourglass
Now You've Got Something to Die For
Ruin
Dead Seeds
Blacken the Cursed Sun
-Mark Morton solo-
Grace
Broken Hands
Laid to Rest
Contractor

-encore-

Reclamation
Redneck
Black Label

Overall, I'm really glad I went. All good bands.

Ratings (oh jeeze)

God Forbid - 7/10
Municipal Waste - 9/10
Children Of Bodom - 7.5/10
As I Lay Dying - 8.5/10
Lamb Of God - 8/10
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch

Last edited by mankvill; 04-29-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 AM

Great review. Still kicking myself for missing the show in LA as i would've loved to see COB, DevilDriver, and LOG all in one show.

Also it's nice to hear a positive review on AILD from this tour since most metalheads see them as an another metalcore band and never give them a chance because of that.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Headbanger

I'm counting down the days now! Next to LOG my favorite band on the bill is Municipal Waste. What a fun thrash band. Takes me back to 88 and the Vio-lence, Whermacht, Sadus, Rigor Mortis days. I think the reason they don't get the response is that their music is hard to find. Either buying or downloading. Would love to catch them as a headliner or co-headliner.

Not sure people know this but God Forbid has a copy of Earthsblood that includes a full concert cd with it and its only $11.99. What a deal.

AILD is growing on me. Still have a problem with the muddy vocals but the music is sick. Trying to get into Bodom but I only seem to like very other song. They could use an injection of Headbanger Face Rip in their music.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post

Also it's nice to hear a positive review on AILD from this tour since most metalheads see them as an another metalcore band and never give them a chance because of that.
Probably because they are into jesus
Old 04-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

This review acknowledges a term I pulled out of my ass!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I'm counting down the days now! Next to LOG my favorite band on the bill is Municipal Waste. What a fun thrash band. Takes me back to 88 and the Vio-lence, Whermacht, Sadus, Rigor Mortis days. I think the reason they don't get the response is that their music is hard to find. Either buying or downloading. Would love to catch them as a headliner or co-headliner.
Yeah, there was a girl behind me saying, "I've heard every band here except for that one opening band, Municipal Waste. I bet they suck."

Same chick who was telling people how she got messed up in the pit at some Mudvayne show.
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Headbanger

That's funny. Yeah I tried to pick up the older MW cd today and Best Buy doesn't even have a f'n card for them. Unreal.

BTW... I saw Whole Wheat Bread open for Suicidal Tendencies a few months ago and they KILLED it live. They made many new fans that night. Of course best buy doesn't have a card for them either. IIIIIIIdiots!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

I was there last night as well. I don't know why in the hell almost every show I go to in KC has to have rain or fog or like last night a little of both but enough complaining about that.

Got there during War Of Attrition from GF. I know not everyone is a fan of GF but I really enjoyed them a whole bunch. I wished they would have been able to get more time than they did but I still enjoyed them nonetheless. Very happy to hear "Empire Of The Gun" which I really love of Earthsblood.

I really enjoyed Municipal Waste. Just really heard there music probably about 3 weeks ago and from what I recognized I loved it. The crowd was pretty dead for them. They are a band that is better fitted for a smaller club as opposed to a several thousand seat theatre. Never heard anyone tell the crowd to high 5 the person next to you. Nice when you can go to a show and still see something new.

Finally got to see Children Of Bodom after all these years. I sure felt bad after seeing the first 2 songs and thinking Alexi really must be hammered tonight. Then found out he broke his shoulder and then felt bad. I have nothing but respect for him to play through the pain. Just by looking at him you could tell he was in alot of pain. Regardless though I'm not the biggest COB fan. I'm really only familiar w/ probably their last 3 albums but do know some of the other stuff as well. I found the setlist a bit of a letdown. I was hoping for Sixpounder or Needled 24/7 and never got it. I would probably give them another shot since he was injured but still didn't leave super impressed.

Now as for AILD... I saw them @ Warped Tour a few yrs ago and I enjoyed their 20-30 min set but this one kind of dragged on for me. I thought they were pretty sharp but every single song w/ breakdown after breakdown kind of got old after awhile. I'm not even being like that b/c of the whole Christian thing either I just really don't care for them that much but they were still enjoyable. I thought that Bodom would have played before them but still not a big deal. A shorter set would have made them more enjoyable.

LOG was flat out amazing and the crowd was absolutely hot for them. The one drawback for me is that 7/15 songs were from Wrath which I give them credit for wanting to play new song and they are probably getting tired of playing them but still half of the setlist might be a little excessive. Not sure I know of too many bands that will use half of their setlist on new songs... not counting like Dream Theater or something that have 15 minute songs. Not all of the new songs seem to translate quite as well live IMO. But still I thought they did great, crowd ate them up and they only seem to get more popular all the time which is absolutely great.

Overall a pretty damn good show from top to bottom, not a single weak band on the bill. I know the majority of you probably have never been to the Uptown but there was a guy that jumped/fell off the balcony, he did it not once but twice!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Concert Veteran

I think Wrath is a very good album and I don't mind when a band plays a lot of new shit in their set. Especially when it's a quality album. Plus LOG doesn't get a lot of radio airplay so this is the only way for them and a lot of other bands to let people hear their new music
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post

I've given them a chance, I just feel that they are really generic and unspecial. Metalcore as a whole...

Can't wait to see this LOG set in two weeks!

Tags
as i lay dying, children of bodom, god forbid, lamb of god, municipal waste