Livin After Midnight
Green Manalishi [w/ Damage Inc]
You've Got Another Thing Coming
Encore:
Hellion
Electric Eye
Heading Out To The Highway
Diamonds And Rust

Great fuckin' show!!! Loved the Priest sets and they were a lot of fun. Didn't care for the Queensryche covers.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_metalhead View Post
Empyre Set :
Revolution
Mindcrime
Disease
Mission
Suite Sister Mary
Lucidity
Take Hold
Paris
Jet City
Don't Believe In Love
QOTR
Eyes Of A Stranger
Revolution Calling
Operation : Mindcrime
Spreading the Disease
The Mission
Suite Sister Mary
Silent Lucidity
Take Hold of the Flame
Last Time in Paris
Jet City Woman
I Don't Believe In Love
Queen of the Reich
Eyes of a Stranger

Just for clarification.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 PM
D.B.B.

damn do i love 1 dollar tribute band shows
Old 04-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
damn do i love 1 dollar tribute band shows
fuck yes! except I hated the Queensryche set
I would have loved some more Racer X!!

Anyway, I think I'll go to the House of Blues show on Tuesday. I checked up on the Metro website and the last bus back from Disneyland is at 12:07 AM. I don't think a 3-band show which is starting at 8 o clock would go past that time. Even if it does, I'll just leave early and make sure I catch that bus! You enjoy the Herman Li session
Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
fuck yes! except I hated the Queensryche set
Did you hate it because you thought the tribute band sucked or did you hate it because you hate Queensryche?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Did you hate it because you thought the tribute band sucked or did you hate it because you hate Queensryche?
oh good question!

I never heard Queensryche before that set actually. So I guess I can't be a good judge of the quality of those covers. I was referring to the kind of music. Not my cup of tea, thats all.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
oh good question!

I never heard Queensryche before that set actually. So I guess I can't be a good judge of the quality of those covers. I was referring to the kind of music. Not my cup of tea, thats all.
Ah. Well in my opinion the song selection was kinda meh. The Mindcrime stuff is great, but the rest is pretty much just a few generic hits, some good, some bad. Queensryche tribute bands have a HUGE margin for error. I don't know why, but for some reason their music doesn't lend itself well to tribute bands. I saw a triple-tribute show in 2005 of tributes for Queensryche, Rush, and Dream Theater, and the Queensryche tribute was easily the worst of the 3, even though Queensryche's material was BY FAR easier than the other two.
There are a lot of people who just don't like Queensryche, many because of Geoff Tate's voice, but others for various reasons. I'd say if you are somewhat interested in hearing them for real, check out "The Warning". Even though "Operation : Mindcrime" is pretty much the undisputed ultimate Queensryche album, it can scare you away at first if it's not your kind of thing. I'd say give The Warning a shot, and see what happens.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Ah. Well in my opinion the song selection was kinda meh. The Mindcrime stuff is great, but the rest is pretty much just a few generic hits, some good, some bad. Queensryche tribute bands have a HUGE margin for error. I don't know why, but for some reason their music doesn't lend itself well to tribute bands. I saw a triple-tribute show in 2005 of tributes for Queensryche, Rush, and Dream Theater, and the Queensryche tribute was easily the worst of the 3, even though Queensryche's material was BY FAR easier than the other two.
There are a lot of people who just don't like Queensryche, many because of Geoff Tate's voice, but others for various reasons. I'd say if you are somewhat interested in hearing them for real, check out "The Warning". Even though "Operation : Mindcrime" is pretty much the undisputed ultimate Queensryche album, it can scare you away at first if it's not your kind of thing. I'd say give The Warning a shot, and see what happens.

Thanks for that info! I should check out the real Queensryche then. And yea Robert (rjturtle9) kept telling me that this and this song is from a concept album and stuff like that .. I'm not really a huge fan of the whole concept album idea. It becomes too operatic sometimes. The only concept album I ever liked was Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

But I'll try 'The Warning' anyways.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Thanks for that info! I should check out the real Queensryche then. And yea Robert (rjturtle9) kept telling me that this and this song is from a concept album and stuff like that .. I'm not really a huge fan of the whole concept album idea. It becomes too operatic sometimes. The only concept album I ever liked was Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

But I'll try 'The Warning' anyways.
Amusingly, as someone who loves concept albums (if they're done well I should say), I think Seventh Son is a pretty concept album. It's a great album, probably in my Maiden top 5, but from a conceptual perspective it's got absolutely nothing on albums like "The Crimson Idol" by WASP and "Streets" by Savatage... or Mindcrime. But that's neither here nor there.

Yeah, I just think The Warning is the best place to start with Queensryche. It has more identity than the material on the self-titled EP, is considerably less experimental than Rage For Order, less bombastic and conceptual than Operation : Mindcrime, and less pop-oriented than Empire.
I think The Warning is one of the best metal guitar albums out there, and is basically the sole reason I consider Chris DeGarmo and Mike Wilton to be a collective big influence on my playing and writing. It's got a lot of identity and depth to it, yet it's still definitely "metal" enough that it never seems fluffy and faltering.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 PM
D.B.B.

i think what scared Andrew away was the whole nun thing and the angel stuff. the tribute band went all out on the stage show and even i was like WTF. me and Andrew got pissed when they went over time too haha. i like Queensryche but the tribute got too carried away with it. oh well. GOOO SEE THE IRON MAIDENS ANDREW!!!!!!

Tags
empyre, just like priest