Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51  
Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,718
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
awesome
Opinion. Your point is void.
__________________
09/02 - Solstice
09/05 - DRI
09/09 - Origin
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Opinion. Your point is void.
Good to know you're coming to the table with an open mind, analyzing my argument. Do you mind even showing me where you pulled that from? I realize there's a difference between fact and opinion, and I realize that at the end of the day my stance here is totally opinion-motivated. However it is NOT an opinion that Maiden tend to pick the most absolutely predictable songs to play live. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. It's not my fault fanboys don't have a problem with that.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,718
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Good to know you're coming to the table with an open mind, analyzing my argument. Do you mind even showing me where you pulled that from? I realize there's a difference between fact and opinion, and I realize that at the end of the day my stance here is totally opinion-motivated. However it is NOT an opinion that Maiden tend to pick the most absolutely predictable songs to play live. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. It's not my fault fanboys don't have a problem with that.
Predictability =/= not good

so I fail to see the problem here. They didn't say this was a tour based on Somewhere In Time, so you shouldn't have expected those songs.
__________________
09/02 - Solstice
09/05 - DRI
09/09 - Origin
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Predictability =/= not good

so I fail to see the problem here. They didn't say this was a tour based on Somewhere In Time, so you shouldn't have expected those songs.
I am tired of people thinking that this tour was only supposed to be about Powerslave. No it wasn't. This tour was supposed to be the next phase of the "History" tours, focusing on 1984-1989, aka Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, and Seventh Son... just as the Early Years tour focused on their work through Piece of Mind. Sure, they chose to design the stage set to look like Powerslave, but that wasn't the only album the tour was supposed to highlight. My point isn't that any one album got screwed, it's that the song selection from this tour (especially the "new" set) didn't do nearly as good of a job as it should have, arguably because Maiden almost always just goes for the most predictable songs. And yes, predictable DOES mean bad, at least it does to me when you are trying to remain interesting.

By the way, SBIT tour poster: (note the Eddies on the sides)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,718
Blog Entries: 19
Predictability may mean bad to you, but let's face it: Iron Maiden isn't exactly pandering to fans like you.

Iron Maiden has songs that are played at almost every concert, just like almost any other band in existence. Iron Maiden has Trooper, RTTH, NOTB, maybe Hallowed? Metallica has Sandman, Master Of Puppets, Nothing Else Matters; Judas Priest has Breaking The Law, Green Manalishi, You've Got Another Thing Comin'; etc. Almost every Maiden fan wants to hear the big hits. There's not enough people like you to warrant a tour where Alexander The Great or Still Life, because they aren't as well known.

Maybe they'll announce another "early days (or so)" tour where they DO focus on shit like that. But to say that this leg's setlist is shit and that the first was un-shit is just...shit.

tl;dr: Heaven Can Wait sucks, Phantom Of The Opera rules.
__________________
09/02 - Solstice
09/05 - DRI
09/09 - Origin
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Predictability may mean bad to you, but let's face it: Iron Maiden isn't exactly pandering to fans like you.

Iron Maiden has songs that are played at almost every concert, just like almost any other band in existence. Iron Maiden has Trooper, RTTH, NOTB, maybe Hallowed? Metallica has Sandman, Master Of Puppets, Nothing Else Matters; Judas Priest has Breaking The Law, Green Manalishi, You've Got Another Thing Comin'; etc. Almost every Maiden fan wants to hear the big hits. There's not enough people like you to warrant a tour where Alexander The Great or Still Life, because they aren't as well known.

Maybe they'll announce another "early days (or so)" tour where they DO focus on shit like that. But to say that this leg's setlist is shit and that the first was un-shit is just...shit.

tl;dr: Heaven Can Wait sucks, Phantom Of The Opera rules.
Christ, are you even reading what I'm posting? I never said Maiden should play no hits. I said that there's absolutely no reason why they can't have room in a set list to play a half dozen "hits" (for the sake of argument: Iron Maiden, Number of the Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear of the Dark, The Trooper, and Run to the Hills), play a half dozen songs off of the new album they're supporting, which they already normally do, and then, instead of filling the other 4-6 slots in the set with predictable "secondary hits", play songs that haven't been played on countless tours before, giving the people that don't want to hear the same shit over and over what they want. That is THE solution. Predictable hits for the people who want them, less popular songs for the people who want them, and a chunk of new songs which should be there regardless. Everyone wins. That's all I'm suggesting.

Oh, and Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, and The Trooper are not songs Maiden HAS to play at every show. Until the Bruce reunion, Run to the Hills had even ever been played live very much as a whole. The Trooper wasn't done on a couple of tours in the past, specifically the Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son tours. All three of these songs weren't played on the 2006 US tour for A Matter of Life and Death, which was, in my opinion, the best set list decision Maiden have made in the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-04-2009, 10:23 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I am tired of people thinking that this tour was only supposed to be about Powerslave. No it wasn't. This tour was supposed to be the next phase of the "History" tours, focusing on 1984-1989, aka Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, and Seventh Son... just as the Early Years tour focused on their work through Piece of Mind. Sure, they chose to design the stage set to look like Powerslave, but that wasn't the only album the tour was supposed to highlight. My point isn't that any one album got screwed, it's that the song selection from this tour (especially the "new" set) didn't do nearly as good of a job as it should have, arguably because Maiden almost always just goes for the most predictable songs. And yes, predictable DOES mean bad, at least it does to me when you are trying to remain interesting.

By the way, SBIT tour poster: (note the Eddies on the sides)

I agree with all of this.

I've posted this before, but I like it so much I'm posting it again! This would have been the perfect setlist for this tour IMO (even if it doesn't have Stranger In a Strange land :tongue).


ACES HIGH
THE TROOPER
CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS
WASTED YEARS
FLIGHT OF ICARUS
THE EVIL THAT MEN DO
RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER
POWERSLAVE
CAUGHT SOMEWHERE IN TIME
KILLERS
SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON
RUN TO THE HILLS
THE CLAIRVOYANT
ALEXANDER THE GREAT
IRON MAIDEN
====================
THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST
2 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
HALLOWED BE THY NAME
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,718
Blog Entries: 19
Okay, I see what you're saying.

But to say that this set is "so gay" compared to the old one is fucking retarded.
__________________
09/02 - Solstice
09/05 - DRI
09/09 - Origin
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I agree with all of this.

I've posted this before, but I like it so much I'm posting it again! This would have been the perfect setlist for this tour IMO (even if it doesn't have Stranger In a Strange land :tongue).


ACES HIGH
THE TROOPER
CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS
WASTED YEARS
FLIGHT OF ICARUS
THE EVIL THAT MEN DO
RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER
POWERSLAVE
CAUGHT SOMEWHERE IN TIME
KILLERS
SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON
RUN TO THE HILLS
THE CLAIRVOYANT
ALEXANDER THE GREAT
IRON MAIDEN
====================
THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST
2 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
HALLOWED BE THY NAME
we're more or less on the same page, but I personally would've gone for something like this:

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Evil That Men Do
The Trooper
Wasted Years
Infinite Dreams
Number of the Beast
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
Killers
Stranger in a Strange Land
22 Acacia Avenue
Phantom of the Opera
The Clairvoyant
Iron Maiden
========================
Caught Somewhere In Time
Running Free
Hallowed Be Thy Name

I feel it's a perfect cross-section of songs that defined the 1984-1989 era (including a few super-rarities of sorts (though they have all been played live)), and songs from the first 4 albums that are great (including a few that the band doesn't traditionally play live).
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-04-2009, 11:45 PM
andrew_metalhead's Avatar
andrew_metalhead andrew_metalhead is offline
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,447
oh my goodness the bitching still goes on .. and on .. and on.. and oooooooooooooooon
__________________
For all your metal needs, go to http://metalassault.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
iron maiden

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008