Lich King -- Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
To investigate your hypothesis, I am listening now to "Shadows That Move." (I only have a few tracks of their pre-Leviathan stuff.)

Sure it sounds more raw than their later work, if that's your preference. It also sounds less distinctive / more like other metal bands. At least to me.

Now listening to "Workhorse." A damn good song. Much more direct and aggressive than their newer stuff. But not nearly as daring / innovative in terms of texture or tonality.

For research purposes, my favorite pre-Leviathan songs are Mother Puncher, We Built This Come Death, the aforemtioned Workhorse, and Call Of the Mastodon
Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
The Cheese

So, I've never really investigated Mastodon beyond the song "Blood and Thunder," which gets a regular rotation on my iPod. I was reading about this album, and it intrigues me. I'm wondering if it'd be a good point to jump in, or if perhaps I should start back a bit, say with the rest of Leviathan, and work my way forward...
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

the songs on Lifesblood, although also appearing on Call of the Mastadon, are mixed differently for that album. Lifesblood's versions just sound better IMO, and samples always make things more metal.

Last edited by Div; 03-26-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 AM
In Search of Truth

This thread should be moved to the "Album Reviews" Subforum.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
This thread should be moved to the "Album Reviews" Subforum.

I thought I placed it in there. Oops.

Yea, what he said.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 AM
We're dying on the inside

This album definitely has a few too many Dream Theater moments, but it is pretty damn good. It will definitely take longer to fully sink in than the last few.

And I rank the albums currently as Leviathan > Blood Mountain > Remission. I have no idea where to place Crack the Skye just yet.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheese View Post
So, I've never really investigated Mastodon beyond the song "Blood and Thunder," which gets a regular rotation on my iPod. I was reading about this album, and it intrigues me. I'm wondering if it'd be a good point to jump in, or if perhaps I should start back a bit, say with the rest of Leviathan, and work my way forward...

Definietly get Leviathan first.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned Asshole

as of now, my ranking is as follows:
1. Blood Mountain
2. Crack the Skye/Leviathan
3. Remission
Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
This album definitely has a few too many Dream Theater moments, but it is pretty damn good. It will definitely take longer to fully sink in than the last few.
Don't hear the Dream Theater at all, if anything some of it reminded me of the Mars Volta.

First listen through I was kinda 'meh', but I could tell it'd be a grower and now I'm totally hooked on it. The first time I was listening wanting it to be different, but you have to just listen to what's there and judge it by what it is. It's a great progressive rock album with an awesome concept and top-tier execution. The vocals take some getting used to but in general I like them, it suits the vibe. I didn't like the production at first either (the guitar tone namely), but that's exactly what they were going for and again it fits the spacey psychadelic vibe. This isn't in-your-face metal, this is a pretty nuanced album, with the goal being the general atmosphere that the record unfolds. The pacing is great, the songs are great, and the theme is awesome. They aren't phenomenal lyrics, but the lines you can make out are to the point and emotive.

There are only really two parts on the album that I cringe at, those being the choruses to Divinations and Quintessence (the "No escape"/"Letting go" parts........jeez ). The most bitchin parts are the Pink Floyd-esque solo in Oblivion (along with the verses, helluva chord progression), the heavy parts of The Czar (when that section is introduced with that delibrate heavy riff does anyone else think it sounds kinda like Savatage? ), the intro to Ghost of Karelia (love how they use that motif and variations on it throughout the album) and Crack The Skye (almost a Western feel), and of course the ending section of The Last Baron, ending the album with a perfect juxtaposition of straight-forward Thin Lizzy bouncing riff yet clearly with a somber/distant vibe. awesome.

The words "matured" and "refined" are usually total bullshit adjectives used to hide the fact that a band has lost its balls and/or creativity, but that describes Mastodon right now in the best sense of those words. 4 excellent albums in a row is something that few bands at any level have achieved, and all with a distinct yet familiar feel that stamps it as their own sound.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Don't hear the Dream Theater at all, if anything some of it reminded me of the Mars Volta.

First listen through I was kinda 'meh', but I could tell it'd be a grower and now I'm totally hooked on it. The first time I was listening wanting it to be different, but you have to just listen to what's there and judge it by what it is. It's a great progressive rock album with an awesome concept and top-tier execution. The vocals take some getting used to but in general I like them, it suits the vibe. I didn't like the production at first either (the guitar tone namely), but that's exactly what they were going for and again it fits the spacey psychadelic vibe. This isn't in-your-face metal, this is a pretty nuanced album, with the goal being the general atmosphere that the record unfolds. The pacing is great, the songs are great, and the theme is awesome. They aren't phenomenal lyrics, but the lines you can make out are to the point and emotive.

The most bitchin parts are the Pink Floyd-esque solo in Oblivion (along with the verses, helluva chord progression), the heavy parts of The Czar (when that section is introduced with that delibrate heavy riff does anyone else think it sounds kinda like Savatage? ), the intro to Ghost of Karelia (love how they use that motif and variations on it throughout the album) and Crack The Skye (almost a Western feel), and of course the ending section of The Last Baron, ending the album with a perfect juxtaposition of straight-forward Thin Lizzy bouncing riff yet clearly with a somber/distant vibe. awesome.

The words "matured" and "refined" are usually total bullshit adjectives used to hide the fact that a band has lost its balls and/or creativity, but that describes Mastodon right now in the best sense of those words. 4 excellent albums in a row is something that few bands at any level have achieved, and all with a distinct yet familiar feel that stamps it as their own sound.

I wholeheartedly endorse this, especially the sentence in bold.

Last edited by JRA; 03-27-2009 at 02:41 PM.