Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 03-22-2009, 02:22 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
From what I've heard from talking to people, most people would consider Iced Earth to be gay power metal or something along those lines, even though I pretty much disagree.

Also, it occurs to me that Helloween should be divided into like two bands, Helloween (early) and Helloween (Deris), because while they'll approve of Helloween, the "TMP" will come out and start calling you an idiot/poser/etc if you say you like the Deris albums.

edit: Also I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I love tier VI - it's so fucking true. There should be more bands there.
Actually, Helloween (Deris) would stay in the same tier as old Helloween, because latter Helloween is still stuff the TMP don't care about.


Any other suggestions for Tier VI? Because those were the only two bands I could think of. Now that I think about it, I wonder if Helloween should go in Tier VI, considering that's what most power metal sounds like?
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"

Last edited by JRA; 03-22-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,908
Update: I whiddled down tier V and added a new tier all together!
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-22-2009, 02:46 PM
TonyD's Avatar
TonyD TonyD is offline
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 6,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
You've almost entirely forgotten a few bands without whom metal would be very different:
Stuck Mojo
LAWL


And "Stupid Gay Eyeliner Shit" doesn't really help your case. Anyone that knows what's been going on the past 10 years can label that goth.
__________________
Shit

Last edited by TonyD; 03-22-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
goth.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-22-2009, 04:06 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Any other suggestions for Tier VI? Because those were the only two bands I could think of.
White Zombie?
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:26 PM
JuuKun's Avatar
JuuKun JuuKun is offline
Red Light In My Eyes
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Posts: 2,085
While, on the whole I got a few laughs, I feel the need to comment on a few things:

-Considering that Slaughter of the Soul is considered one of the first Melodeath albums, I think At the Gates probably belongs in Va, not Vb. But that's debatable. I don't know who else got to see ATG touring last summer, but in Worcester EVERYONE around me was talking about how long they'd waited for this show, and the crowd absolutely exploded when the band came on.

-I also disagree with Possessed being in Vb instead of Va, but that's personal taste, so disregard this.

-HOW are Mastodon, Opeth, CoB, and Arch Enemy "Gay ass Ozzfest metalcore bands". While CoB have put out two less than stellar albums in a row now, none of them play metalcore. Saying Opeth is metalcore is down right ridiculous, and I think your so-called True Metal Police would beat YOU for saying that . I understand their placement together on the list, though I think their tier should be COMPLETELY renamed, and SOAD removed from it.

-Nevermore are not power metal. More like Prog/Thrash.

-Also, probably the BIGGEST wtf on this list: Amon Amarth as a "fairy power metal band"? Are you on crack?

Oh, and Skid Row should definitely be in II or IV.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
White Zombie?
Enh, except is anybody really influenced by Rob Zombie nowadays? If anything he belongs in tiers 10, 11 or 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
While, on the whole I got a few laughs, I feel the need to comment on a few things:

-Considering that Slaughter of the Soul is considered one of the first Melodeath albums, I think At the Gates probably belongs in Va, not Vb. But that's debatable. I don't know who else got to see ATG touring last summer, but in Worcester EVERYONE around me was talking about how long they'd waited for this show, and the crowd absolutely exploded when the band came on.

-I also disagree with Possessed being in Vb instead of Va, but that's personal taste, so disregard this.

-HOW are Mastodon, Opeth, CoB, and Arch Enemy "Gay ass Ozzfest metalcore bands". While CoB have put out two less than stellar albums in a row now, none of them play metalcore. Saying Opeth is metalcore is down right ridiculous, and I think your so-called True Metal Police would beat YOU for saying that . I understand their placement together on the list, though I think their tier should be COMPLETELY renamed, and SOAD removed from it.
The thing is, the term "metalcore" doesn't necessarily mean "combination of metal and hardcore" as much as it means "shitty band that played shitty metal." At least that's how I feel the "True Metal Police" would use it. While Mastodon and Arch Enemy aren't, in the pure sense of the word "metalcore" they did in fact play on Ozzfest. The thing about Ozzfest, is while they started out as a purebred metal festival, they also pretty much kickstarted the entire career of nu-metal: Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, Mudvayne, Slipknot, and a hoist of others. Basically, because of this, if you went on Ozzfest, you were blacklisted as "nu-metal," "metal-core," "mallcore" or whatever term the TMP were using to describe you as "terrible." Any band that went on here now had to work twice as hard to prove themselves to the elitist status quo.

As for Opeth, they were Ultraboris's #0 band. That alone also "blacklists" you. Then there's Bodom, who while they have never been on Ozzfest, and are actually loved by Ultraboris (or at least Hatebreeder was), the fact is, the production and keyboards on some of their albums were a little too slick and techno-ish at points, therefore, music for Hot Topic and "mallcore." As much as I'd love to move Bodom up a tier or two, the fact is, they have a pretty polarizing reception in the metal community.

In regards to At The Gates and In Flames, both were slammed by Ultraboris, but I've heard plenty of praise and influential acclaims from people, (plus, I myself to like some ATG songs), so I put them in the middle "extreme tier."
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"

Last edited by JRA; 03-22-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-22-2009, 06:39 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
-Also, probably the BIGGEST wtf on this list: Amon Amarth as a "fairy power metal band"? Are you on crack?
.
Well there can't really be another tier just for "fairy viking bullshit" can there?
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Ultraboris'
Is that the dude who writes the painfully shit reviews?
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,955
The TMP approves of the first post
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008