Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 PM
We're dying on the inside

I don't think he meant this to represent him in any way, rather, "metalheads" as a group. As such I think the rankings are good. Mine would of course be radically different.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

This is farily accurate. I've been saying for a long time that the continued popularity of the likes of Maiden and AC/DC is because they occupy some kind of upper echelon of rock where it's cool to like them even though they're old.

However, I have a few MAJOR disagreements, from a general perspective, not necessarily my own rankings of bands:

Nevermore fairy power metal? Have you even listened to them?

The same applies to Symphony X, Kamelot, and Opeth is the metalcore group.

Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin and possibly Scorpions are missing from II.
Skid Row are missing from either II or IV.
Clutch are missing from VII.
HIM are missing from XII

Rainbow belong in II rather than IV.

You've almost entirely forgotten a few bands without whom metal would be very different:

Stuck Mojo
Cathedral
Diamond Head

Where the hell are Accept, Alice In Chains, Dream Theater, Testament and King's X?

And finally, in a moment of genuine personal opinion, Soulfly, Slipknot, Lamb of God and Machine Head deserve a lot more respect that the TMP afford them.

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen

Last edited by ravenheart; 03-21-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:21 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I don't think he meant this to represent him in any way, rather, "metalheads" as a group. As such I think the rankings are good. Mine would of course be radically different.
well in that case, yea they'd be up there, metalheads in general give way too much credence to metallica. personally id rank megadeth above metallica any day.

EDIT: Agent Steel and Metal Church arent on your list.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
personally id rank megadeth above metallica any day.
As would most "True Metal Tards" (myself included) but this is a dispute I want no business having now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
HIM are missing from XII

Listen guys, I am well aware that there are plenty of bands missing, Metal Church, Diamond Head, and Testament being three of them. But the thing is, I didn't want to make this list so long that it becomes a chore to read it, so some concessions need to be made here and there.

That being said, I am thinking about adding a couple of tiers, one being "Thrash bands that Ultraboris thought were shit," and maybe dividing the extreme tier into two or three seperate tiers.

I actually want to post this list on other forums I visit and ruffle a few feathers, but considering I've only put 2-3 hours work into it, I don't think this is quite ready yet. So consider this thread a sandbox.

I have a feeling that nobody understands my "Super Black Metal" joke. Allow me to illuminate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QascX...eature=related

The difference? Bathory = Super Black Metal, everybody else = merely "black metal."

Edit: I've also give entries to "Vegetarian Progressive Grindcore" and "Lounge."

Also, Ravenheart, sorry but anybody who writes a song called "Jumpdafucup" is automatically mallcore fodder. Shit I should put Soulfly in the nu-metal section (i.e.Date Rape) for that alone!

Last edited by JRA; 03-21-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

in b4 15 page long argument
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 03-21-2009, 08:24 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QascX...eature=related

The difference? Bathory = Super Black Metal, everybody else = merely "black metal."

Edit: I've also give entries to "Vegetarian Progressive Grindcore" and "Lounge."
haha i saw that video before, but the music was different
Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
IV. 2nd Tier (bands who if you declare out loud that they suck, the TMP will not care)
Gamma Ray

IX. Gay ass hair metal
Yngwie Malmsteen

X. Fruity fairy power metal (apologies to Maiden33 )
Iced Earth
Amon Amarth
Nevermore
While I disagree with a lot of this, I had to particularly address these.
-Gamma Ray are not that popular to belong where you put them, you just generally have a hard-on for them. If you're going to elevate another power metal band out of the "Fruity Fairy Power Metal" category, it should be Blind Guardian, not Gamma Ray.

-Yngwie is NOT "Gay Ass Hair Metal". Clearly Yngwie had some commercialized 80s music, but I've said it before and say it again. Just because you had a few hits with poppy choruses from 1983-1989, does not mean you are a hair metal band. Have you heard any of Yngwie's post-80s albums? Facing the Animal is fucking fantastic, and absolutely not hair metal in any way.

-Iced Earth is not power metal. They are basically just traditional metal/half-thrash with a lot of ballads. You can call them gay all the live-long day if you wish, but calling them power metal is off-base. The other two bands I selected that you put into this category are just massive WTFs.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

yea, i dont get why people always hate on amon amarth and call them things like "poser viking metal"
Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
yea, i dont get why people always hate on amon amarth and call them things like "poser viking metal"
People hate on Amon Amarth? I'LL SLAY THEM!!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post

-Iced Earth is not power metal. They are basically just traditional metal/half-thrash with a lot of ballads. You can call them gay all the live-long day if you wish, but calling them power metal is off-base. The other two bands I selected that you put into this category are just massive WTFs.
From what I've heard from talking to people, most people would consider Iced Earth to be gay power metal or something along those lines, even though I pretty much disagree.

Also, it occurs to me that Helloween should be divided into like two bands, Helloween (early) and Helloween (Deris), because while they'll approve of Helloween, the "TMP" will come out and start calling you an idiot/poser/etc if you say you like the Deris albums.

edit: Also I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I love tier VI - it's so fucking true. There should be more bands there.

Last edited by SomewhereInTime72; 03-22-2009 at 11:09 AM.