Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Headbanger

ok so how about a neutral's review eh?

So I was at this show. I used to listen to their Volume 3 album when it released in 04, but I'm not into them right now.
I highly admire Joey as a drummer, and I rate him only behind Dave Lombardo and Scott Travis as the best drummers ever. So I went with my friend to the signing session in Guitar Center. We were really amazed to meet this insane drummer!! There were probably 500+ people in the queue, but we were helped massively by the fact that I found another friend very near to the front and we joined him.
So out of this excitement of meeting Joey, my friend kinda made a last minute decision to go to the show and insisted I should give him company, as he really wanted to see this show. And he said he would return the same favour later. He even paid for my ticket.

Ok enough of that. On to the show!
Trivium were decent. I have read a lot of bullshit about Trivium on the internet forums. They were not as bad as that. 'Like Light To The Flies' was the only song I knew, and I enjoyed that one.
Coheed And Cambria were probably the worst band I have ever seen in the 35 shows I have totally seen in my life.Enough said.
Slipknot impressed me. I enjoyed 'Duality', 'People=Shit' and 'Before I Forget' as those were the only songs I used to like and was able to recognize. My friend seemed to know all the new songs as well and he was rocking out big time. I saved all my energy for Duality and after that song I was exhausted
I was listening to the new songs for the first time and I felt they were not as heavy as they should be. The vocals on those were disappointing. Guitars were almost inaudible. Only good part was the drumming! But all the other songs were totally kickass! I am a big fan of Corey's vocals on Duality. He goes from whispering to growling in the same song!
The lights were the best I have EVER witnessed .. only Pink Floyd could have matched a light show like this one
Corey was trying his best to entertain the crowd and I can safely say all the fans gave him a great response, although in my opinion he talked too much. They could have played one more song in that time instead!
The guy doing the pull-ups and stuff was funny to watch, the members going into the crowd at times was totally unique, Joey's stunt at the end was jaw-droppingly awesome.
All in all, not a great new album, but I give them credit for putting on a truly unique stage show and I enjoyed most of it. We were in the colonade 29 section by the way. One more thing, I thought The Forum was too big a venue for this show. It was far from a sell-out. We got tickets 15 minutes before the show started.The colonades were only about 20% filled. Floor and lower seats were packed though.

Last edited by andrew_metalhead; 03-08-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:18 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_metalhead View Post
All in all, not a great new album, but I give them credit for putting on a truly unique stage show and I enjoyed most of it. We were in the colonade 29 section by the way. One more thing, I thought The Forum was too big a venue for this show. It was far from a sell-out. We got tickets 15 minutes before the show started.The colonades were only about 20% filled. Floor and lower seats were packed though.
I was in 28! My ticket was in 30 but I moved over right before they went on when I realized the PA would be blocking the drum set.

I think the Forum is the right venue, the only other ones comparable for the size of the crowd would have been Nokia or Universal and this show doesn't belong in an all seated venue. There probably would have been more people if not for the show in Ontario.

Also if it was in a bigger venue I probably wouldn't have found a $10 ticket outside.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:16 AM
D.B.B.

20% filled??? those seats were like 5-10% filled lol ohh well looks like slipknot can't sell out like they used too. i'm surprised to hear that you (andrew) went to a concert and didn't get close to rail lol. wow the world is really coming to an end. all in all it was a great show. to bad no pyro
Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
I highly admire Joey as a drummer, and I rate him only behind Dave Lombardo and Scott Travis as the best drummers ever.
I'll just go ahead and completely forget that you ever said this.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
I'll just go ahead and completely forget that you ever said this.
And why would that be?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
20% filled??? those seats were like 5-10% filled lol ohh well looks like slipknot can't sell out like they used too. i'm surprised to hear that you (andrew) went to a concert and didn't get close to rail lol. wow the world is really coming to an end. all in all it was a great show. to bad no pyro
lol yea because i decided to go at the last minute :P
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Avid Taco Bell Fan

Quote:
great show. i got there like 20 min before slipknot came on. i love how chris and clown were walking around the venue. pretty sick, except opur show had no pyro and all the others did. oh well
Yea, no pyro in Denver either. They played at the Denver Coliseum on March 3rd, same setlist, really good show.
7/5/2019 - Iron Buffalo
Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
D.B.B.

Quote:
And why would that be?
have you ever heard of a fellow by the name of neil peart
Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
have you ever heard of a fellow by the name of neil peart
yea dude .. im not a rush fan .. so haven't seen him play. i was talking about drummers of the bands I listen to.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
And why would that be?
Because, even though Joey is the most talented member of the band, he is nowhere near the best drummer ever. (BTW, you said that you were just talking about bands you listen to, yet in the first post you said 'ever'. Which, y'know, means ever. Not "ever out of all the bands I listen to", but "ever".)

Personally, I'm of the belief that the best drummer ever (as well as guitarist, bassist, etc) is someone that isn't in a band, and is virtually unknown.

Tags
slipknot