Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Meshuggah -- San Francisco, CA -- February 4th, 2009

This show had been sold out at least two weeks ahead of time, leading to many tickets going for around 200 bucks on craigslist, so we can either blame Meshuggah's manager or Myspace for poor booking for their own loss. There was a good line outside even 45 minutes before doors, so it wasn't hard to tell that this was a big show for a small venue.

The Faceless had 30 minutes. If you like them, please skip the following paragraph.
I have heard many things about The Faceless, mostly positive, so I was hoping for something decent without hearing any of their music. They started their set with an instrumental piece that had a lot of uncanny similarities to both of the bands that followed, which isn't such a bad thing. Just as I'm warming up to the intricate and precise work on guitar and drums, some dude hops out onto the stage and yells something to the effect that can be heard up to 10 times on a July day in Mountain View, "What the fuck's up San Francisco?" I'm sorry to say that the singer killed the vibe of the music for the rest of the set. Something about progressive death metal music with a metalcore singer just doesn't sit well in the stomach. And if that seems hypocritical while at a Meshuggah show, just say fuck it. High props to the musicians in the band.

Some have waited 15 years to see this day, but Cynic is back. Paul and Sean seemed to be impressed with the audience response, which grew as the set went on. There were a handful of people heckling for more Focus and Focus only, which seems rude and immature, but given this is their first bay area performance in 15 years it is heavy on new material. Uroboric Forms and Cosmos would have rounded out the set nicely, and it could have been done if the damn roadies moved a little faster. If you were counting, there was over an hour of time in setup for two bands, with the amps and drums already backlined. Zero eddies for the techs.

That said, the Slim's crew is notorious for being a bunch of dicks. Tonight there were no problems, no boots for moshing, they got the photographers out after two songs and they passed around waters later in the show. A+ job.

Cynic (~45 mins)
Nunc Fluens
The Space For This
Evolutionary Sleeper
Veil Of Maya
King Of Those Who Know
Celestial Voyage
Adam's Murmur
I'm But A Wave To...
How Could I
Integral Birth

Meshuggah kicked ass as expected. I was in the second row since the doors opened trying to score a rail spot with no luck, but like they say, love always finds a way. The photographers are like flies to shit with the band, every one is a good shot all of the time without looking like they're posing.

Meshuggah (10:30-12:00)
Pravus
Bleed (full version)
New Millennium Cyanide Christ
Stengah
Rational Gaze
The Mouth Licking What You've Bled
Lethargica
Combustion
Sane
Suffer In Truth
Humiliative
Straws Pulled At Random
FBM

Last edited by TonyD; 09-24-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:36 AM

Also, when they brought out the 8-string for sound check, I heard a woman standing in front of her boyfriend say, "did you just get a hard on?"
Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Banned Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
The Faceless had 30 minutes. If you like them, please skip the following paragraph.
I have heard many things about The Faceless, mostly positive, so I was hoping for something decent without hearing any of their music. They started their set with an instrumental piece that had a lot of uncanny similarities to both of the bands that followed, which isn't such a bad thing. Just as I'm warming up to the intricate and precise work on guitar and drums, some dude hops out onto the stage and yells something to the effect that can be heard up to 10 times on a July day in Mountain View, "What the fuck's up San Francisco?" I'm sorry to say that the singer killed the vibe of the music for the rest of the set. Something about progressive death metal music with a metalcore singer just doesn't sit well in the stomach. And if that seems hypocritical while at a Meshuggah show, just say fuck it. High props to the musicians in the band.
damn too bad u didnt like them. neither did i the first time i saw them, they're a band that grows on you. but you are right that their musicians are incredible!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Very good Cynic set. Seeing them on the 20th.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Bodom blew it 5 years ago

Absolutely amazing. Cynic killed, they were RIGHT on it.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 AM
Headbanger

Holy hell!

Dude you just made my week. Seriously! I'm seeing them next Friday and was going to barrage their myspace page to hear Combustion and/or suffer in truth. Throw in Stengah and NMCC and i'm going to f'n LOSE it next Friday!

When they opened for Ministry they didn't play ANY of those 4 songs and concentrated solely on the Nothing cd along with Bleed, Pravus and Electric Red.

Straight up if I were going to draw up the perfect setlist it's pretty close to this one. I might throw in Sane, Sickening or something else off Chaosphere but this is going to be the show of the year now.

Thanks for posting!

Jaysin
Old 02-16-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Straight up if I were going to draw up the perfect setlist it's pretty close to this one. I might throw in Sane, Sickening or something else off Chaosphere but this is going to be the show of the year now.
I fucked up, they played Sane.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 PM
N00B

Deh Faceless

the faceless' set:

Akeldama (instrumental)

XenoChrist

Sons of Belial

Coldly Calculated Design

Legion of the Serpent

An Autopsy
Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Ad A Dglgmut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdrum919 View Post
the faceless' set:

Akeldama (instrumental)

Legion of the Serpent
Legion Of The Serpent is my favorite song off of Planetary Duality so I am thrilled they are playing that. Now if they would only play Leica........

Tags
cynic, meshuggah