Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
well considering almost any metal band out there lists maiden as their influence i would argue otherwise. and incase you unfortunately missed it, maiden went on a world tour this year to places metallica has never even been. theyve also been going strong for alot longer than metallica has and all their fans still love them, as opposed to metallica who, in most metalheads eyes, has been sucking it up for the last 20 years. also, their last album before DM was released in 2003, thats a pretty long hiatus for a band whos supposed to be "the most successful", while maiden has been releasing albums at a pretty consistent rate. so i wouldnt say it's safe to call them more successful than maiden at all.
I was speaking dollars for dollars. But yes, Maiden has put out many more noteworthy and respectable albums. No argument there. Many of those bands that sight Maiden as an influence, you know that Metallica are right along in there too. Both Maiden and Metallica - Metallica more so - changed the genre of Rock. Outside of them, Sabbath and Nirvana, I can't think of any other bands that have done that. Even with the piece-of-shit albums they have put out, they have still garnered more fans than Maiden. Yes Maiden may have toured this year to places that Metallica has never been (can that be proven?) and maybe they might have more 'loyal' fans but that hardly makes them more successful. Maiden's fans have dropped off as well since Powerslave. That's apparent through album and ticket sales since then. So with that said, is Metallica more successful? A resounding YES.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Troo Methulfan

Quote:
maybe you've heard of a band called iron maiden? i dunno, just throwing it out there.
Maiden, with their overly long AMOLAD?

Another band I really like, but don't say that they have made only good albums...
Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog View Post
I was speaking dollars for dollars. But yes, Maiden has put out many more noteworthy and respectable albums. No argument there. Many of those bands that sight Maiden as an influence, you know that Metallica are right along in there too. Both Maiden and Metallica - Metallica more so - changed the genre of Rock. Outside of them, Sabbath and Nirvana, I can't think of any other bands that have done that. Even with the piece-of-shit albums they have put out, they have still garnered more fans than Maiden. Yes Maiden may have toured this year to places that Metallica has never been (can that be proven?) and maybe they might have more 'loyal' fans but that hardly makes them more successful. Maiden's fans have dropped off as well since Powerslave. That's apparent through album and ticket sales since then. So with that said, is Metallica more successful? A resounding YES.
Metallica changed the genre of Rock? I don't know about that. Their impact on early thrash is clear but it seems to me that Metallica has followed, less led, since Load.

As much I love Iron Maiden, there isn't any question that Metallica Corporation has become the bigger band.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Metallica more so - changed the genre of Rock. .
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
Maiden, with their overly long AMOLAD?

Another band I really like, but don't say that they have made only good albums...

amolad was a good album. following in the trend of the post reunion albums id say it was a step forward. i would rank the songs they did on amolad higher than any of the simplistic "weekend warrior" or "bring your daughter" type of songs they did in the past.

if you give it a chance theres plenty of amazing stuff on there, lord of light is definitely a great metal song, it even sounds almost old school sabbath like in a way. the drumming in greater good stood out for me, especially right before the solo. the legacy had a very cool abstract intro. bruce's vocals were perfect at conveying the emotion behind the lyrics. i wouldnt say its the perfect album to rock out to, but its certainly not boring. you have to give the guys in maiden credit, theyre not stupid guys, just cause it doesnt jump out at you first doesnt make it boring.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Troo Methulfan

Quote:
amolad was a good album. following in the trend of the post reunion albums id say it was a step forward. i would rank the songs they did on amolad higher than any of the simplistic "weekend warrior" or "bring your daughter" type of songs they did in the past.

if you give it a chance theres plenty of amazing stuff on there, lord of light is definitely a great metal song, it even sounds almost old school sabbath like in a way. the drumming in greater good stood out for me, especially right before the solo. the legacy had a very cool abstract intro. bruce's vocals were perfect at conveying the emotion behind the lyrics. i wouldnt say its the perfect album to rock out to, but its certainly not boring. you have to give the guys in maiden credit, theyre not stupid guys, just cause it doesnt jump out at you first doesnt make it boring.

No, it was boring for me. Especially when they played it fully live.

But, that doesn't change the fact that they have the best singer in Metal. His last solo album, man, I don't know how he does that with all the touring & recording. I'm actually listening to them now.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:06 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Uh yeah. What did Maiden do this year? They put out anything last year? Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's safe to say that Metallica is definately more successful than Maiden - even with Nicko as the more accomplished drummer, lol.

dude i love metallica but maiden pwns them.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Yep. I said it and that's just what they did. They changed the genre of rock. Where would metal/thrash be today without the first 4 albums?

Tags
metallica