17. Whiplash
18. Seek And Destroy

Set Time: 9.12-11.16

Metallica Lineup:
Guitar/Vocals: James Hetfield
Guitar: Kirk Hammet
Bass: Robert Trujillo
Drums: Lars Ulrich

Another November show, another long, cold wait in line. This time the wait would be just over an hour and a half with the temperature in the 30ís outside the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. With Metallica in the round again this year, I thought my chances of getting to the rail were pretty good. I had seen pictures of the stage and it looked like a very large rectangle with multiple microphones spaced out around all four sides. After watching a large number of fan club members enter the venue first, the general admission line finally started moving towards the gates. After getting my wrist band, I headed for the floor. The security at floor level were checking for wrist bands and checking tickets again as well. Apparently the employees at the door were punching holes in all of the floor tickets but they did not punch mine for some reason. The security guard at the floor entrance tried to send me back but I talked my way out of it and he let me go through to the main floor. After all of the delays, I figured that my chances of getting to the rail were slim. However, I quickly circled the perimeter and found a small gap that I was able to work my way into. I had never been on the rail for a Metallica show before so I would say the long wait in the cold was worth it.

The unfortunate part about being on the rail at some venues is that you hear more sound directly from the amps than you hear from the P.A. That turned out to be the case here. During the opening band, the bass cabinet was directly in front of me and I could barely hear anything else at all. It was very strange. During Metallica I could hear the guitar and bass perfectly but the vocals were very hard to hear. Other than that, the show was excellent. The lasers and lights were very cool and the coffin-shaped lighting rigs were awesome. The pyro was extremely hot during One and Fight Fire With Fire. I swear the people in the front row were checking to see if their eyebrows had been burned off. There was an extended blast that actually made my eyes water. The pyro and lights at the beginning of One were again a highlight of the show just like they were back in 2004 on the St. Anger tour. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) was a very nice surprise as I had not seen it on any of the set lists before this show. I was somewhat disappointed that we got The Memory Remains instead of Ride The Lightning. I was really hoping for Ride because I have not seen it live before. Fight Fire With Fire and Whiplash were both very cool. The new songs sounded good and the lasers during That Was Just Your Life were amazing. During the encore they dropped hundreds of black Metallica beach balls from overhead and that made for quite an interesting scene as some people were bouncing them around and others were trying to grab one for a souvenir. Overall I would say that Sanitarium, One, Fight Fire With Fire and Master Of Puppets were the highlights for me.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

When do they use lasers?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
When do they use lasers?
If I remember correctly, during That Was Just Your Life and Master Of Puppets. They use fire on One and...maybe something else, I don't remember.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2

Tags
metallica