Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

  #21  
Old 08-22-2008, 02:20 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,059
I don't think what they've done in any previous year/decade should dictate any pre-conceived opinions on their new music.

Listen to it for what it is, a new metal song. And judge it on that basis as well.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-22-2008, 02:24 AM
hot_turkey_ed's Avatar
hot_turkey_ed hot_turkey_ed is offline
Director, Set List Intelligence
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: California
Posts: 10,829
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysadler2 View Post
also dunno why people are kinda slagging off metallica....

i know ur entitled to your opinnion.....

but if u r a fan of metal music....u would still show metallica some respect 4 what they done in the 80s/early 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysadler2 View Post
Overall- 7.5/10 (mostly effort)

7.5 on effort. We're talking about fucking Metallica here! Rating a Metallica on EFFORT?



To your point: Metallica is an easy target because of almost everything they've produced since Load. I often hear people -- including a lot of bands on stage -- very respectfully talk about "Metallica-Back-In-The-Day", not so much about Post Black (for many) or Post Load (for me) Metallica. Everyone has their reasons for the slag. Personally, I skipped music in the 90s and missed most of Metallica's greatest sins firsthand, so I don't carry that baggage. That's like going from Justice in college straight to the St Anger. The Permanent Record contains my experiences of four St Anger concerts, and Metallica got a lot of respect in each. My first Metallica concert in Oakland is always going to be one of my favorite metal memories.

Those shows were over four years ago, and a lot of metal has passed my way since then. Maybe Metallica has been away so long that I've stopped caring. I don't know. Part of me doesn't 'believe' them anymore, not the way I believe Steve Harris on stage during a Maiden show. About St Anger, Lars said something about making aggressive music without the negativity. Was I alone in thinking "FUCK YOU, LARS!"? I'm just not buying it anymore at least the same way I once did.
__________________
Jaco died for our sins so that modern bass players could be free to play more and be heard.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-22-2008, 06:57 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,059
Not alone, because clearly a lot of people went the same way. But not me. I like St Anger. A lot. And Load. ReLoad is a weaker version of Load, but still not bad.

People who listened to those albums and just don't like them, fine. But I know that's not the case for a lot of people. All the ones who stopped listening to them because they made a video for 'One'. All the ones that stopped listening because they stopped making thrash metal for a while. All the ones who just jump on board and bash them becaue it seems to be the cool thing to do to prove you know something about metal (not exclusive to Metallica, bashing the popular thing is a way to prove your own knowledge across the board).

For me I just listen to the new music and decide on an album by album basis whether or not I like it. I don't dismiss a record because of the name on the front. Yes, if I liked a band's last album I'm more likely to make an effort to hear the new one compared to a band I previously didn't enjoy, but I will try new efforts by bands I don't like, in case they have changed something. I like finding new music. I certainly don't want to hear the same thing all the time and just stick to the little circle of bands I already know I like and won't let me down. Else I'd be a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan or something.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 AM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is online now
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,623
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I like St Anger. A lot.
Damn, you are an extreme minority.
__________________
09/02 - Solstice
09/05 - DRI
09/09 - Origin
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-22-2008, 08:25 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
I have no opinion about this song. It exists. It's better than I would have expected, but I don't love it. This album will be not shitty but by no stretch of the imagination great.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Not alone, because clearly a lot of people went the same way. But not me. I like St Anger. A lot. And Load. ReLoad is a weaker version of Load, but still not bad.

People who listened to those albums and just don't like them, fine. But I know that's not the case for a lot of people. All the ones who stopped listening to them because they made a video for 'One'. All the ones that stopped listening because they stopped making thrash metal for a while. All the ones who just jump on board and bash them becaue it seems to be the cool thing to do to prove you know something about metal (not exclusive to Metallica, bashing the popular thing is a way to prove your own knowledge across the board).

For me I just listen to the new music and decide on an album by album basis whether or not I like it. I don't dismiss a record because of the name on the front. Yes, if I liked a band's last album I'm more likely to make an effort to hear the new one compared to a band I previously didn't enjoy, but I will try new efforts by bands I don't like, in case they have changed something. I like finding new music. I certainly don't want to hear the same thing all the time and just stick to the little circle of bands I already know I like and won't let me down. Else I'd be a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan or something.
I actually really agree with a lot of what you're saying. Somehow I still just don't really care much about Metallica. It's weird, and I can't explain it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I have no opinion about this song. It exists.
Yeah, same. I listened, and... then listened to something else.
__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 AM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Not liking Metallica these days is like some kind of indicator that a metal fan knows their stuff. It's weird, frankly.
Not necessarily that they know their stuff, but that they have standards.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 AM
rjturtle9's Avatar
rjturtle9 rjturtle9 is offline
D.B.B.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 3,737
idk. i pretty much gave up on metallica too, but after ozzfest, i really got into this band again. their performance was really good. i just hope they can do something with the new album
__________________
"Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach." - Nathan Explosion
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
Not necessarily that they know their stuff, but that they have standards.
Well, they have someone else's... like all pop fans...
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:46 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008